Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages<12

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:44:22 AM(UTC)
There's a big difference to being hurt and being injured. Brett Favre was hurt, not injured. You can play hurt. You can't play injured.

So they say anyway. I don't know how putting a cast on a broken wrist falls into the "hurt" category, but I don't make the rules.
Mucky Tundra  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:07:02 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884 said: Go to Quoted Post
I suppose the real question about who the Packers will cut next is What do the Vikings still need?

You mean besides a QB?

As far as the topic goes I have to go with the trend and say Starks followed by Kuhn. Starks for the injury problems, Kuhn for Lacy swiping his short yard carries and I think DJ Williams nabs his blocking duties as H-back this year.
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:36:56 AM(UTC)
There's a LOT of guys gonna go for a lot of reasons - being injury-prone (Starks), being overpaid (Kuhn), being at the bottom end of a crowded position (D.J. Williams - I'm thinking Ryan Taylor is better than D.J.), etc.

The primary reason so many are gonna be gone is that Ted Thompson is bringing in a bumper crop of newcomers. Hopefully he/they can wangle ways to keep as many of those as possible, as 53 just doesn't begin to satisfy the number of talented players they will have in camp.
play2win  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:39:17 AM(UTC)
I wonder if Giorgio Tavecchio will steal a roster spot from Mason Crosby...?

Crosby is one hell of a kicker, if you take away last season. He has our 3 longest FGs in franchise history. Looking through all of his records and stats, he has been remarkable, if you take away last season.

Could that one bad season, coupled with a high price tag, do him in? It is possible.

Tavecchio finished his last season at Cal hitting 87% of his FGs, a single season school record, making 20 of 23. He averaged just above 60 yds on his KOs for his career, but has booted 25 KOs in his career over 70 yds. His career long FG at Cal was 54 yds.

He might not have the consistency for distance Crosby does on KOs, but they may deem that a wash with Tavecchio coming in at a far lower price. Last year scared the crap out of me the way Mason fell apart. Those are important points, points that we did not score.
yooperfan  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:10:51 AM(UTC)
Crosby or Tavecchio?
Be careful what you wish for!
play2win  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:39:25 AM(UTC)
yooperfan said: Go to Quoted Post
Crosby or Tavecchio?
Be careful what you wish for!

Oh, I know... I'm not pulling for one or the other, just wondering how this plays out. Take away last season, and Mason Crosby was quite good.
wpr  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:20:47 PM(UTC)
play2win said: Go to Quoted Post
Oh, I know... I'm not pulling for one or the other, just wondering how this plays out. Take away last season, and Mason Crosby was quite good.

I like a kicker who an put the ball in the end zone on a consistent basis in addition to making his fg attempts. At least from 45 yards and in (35 yard line).

I prefer to go for the first down when they are out around the 40 and punt when they are at the 45 and beyond.
nerdmann  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:07:20 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker said: Go to Quoted Post
There's a LOT of guys gonna go for a lot of reasons - being injury-prone (Starks), being overpaid (Kuhn), being at the bottom end of a crowded position (D.J. Williams - I'm thinking Ryan Taylor is better than D.J.), etc.

The primary reason so many are gonna be gone is that Ted Thompson is bringing in a bumper crop of newcomers. Hopefully he/they can wangle ways to keep as many of those as possible, as 53 just doesn't begin to satisfy the number of talented players they will have in camp.

This is Williams and Taylors last TC to show they can play.

If they don't step up, they both end up as Vikings and Stoneburner makes the team, behind Finley, Quarless and Mulligan.
Dexter_Sinister  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:14:22 PM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
This is Williams and Taylors last TC to show they can play.

If they don't step up, they both end up as Vikings and Stoneburner makes the team, behind Finley, Quarless and Mulligan.

They are not really battling for a TE spot so much as a ST spot.
OlHoss1884  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:21:56 PM(UTC)
The Packer Way is to base who makes it on what they are likely to do, not on what their history is, necessarily. In the Straks vs. Green debate, certainly at least one will get cut, but who that is will depend on who shows he is likely to have more value going forward. For what he offers the team, I see Kuhn as overpaid, but who replaces him if he's cut? I know they signed an UFA fullback and maybe Quarless is the goal-line blocker in the backfield but is that where they go? Is Tavecchio a better risk than Crosby?

Part of how the team has kept itself out of salary cap trouble all these years is not overpaying people for past performance and going with new players when the risk vs. reward seemed better...a la Jones over Bishop.
#31 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:21:45 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister said: Go to Quoted Post
They are not really battling for a TE spot so much as a ST spot.

Actually, what they are battling for is to replace John Kuhn if/when he is cut. IMO, the ONLY shot either Taylor or Williams have is as a de facto fullback. I think Taylor has the edge in that regard.

nerdmann  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:49:18 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker said: Go to Quoted Post
Actually, what they are battling for is to replace John Kuhn if/when he is cut. IMO, the ONLY shot either Taylor or Williams have is as a de facto fullback. I think Taylor has the edge in that regard.

They both have a shot to show they can become part of the passing game.

Otherwise they will be cut.

As for who's next on the chopping block, how about none other than MASON CROSBY?
OlHoss1884  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:25:52 PM(UTC)
While Crosby was certainly shaly last year, teams are usually reluctant to jump to an unknown commodity, unless there is a clear cut winner out of camp. I think there may be other cuts before they get too far in, and they might be reluctant to get rid of a kicker in favor of a guy they have only seen in action as a plumber jumping barrels thrown by a big gorilla.
The_Green_Ninja  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:37:29 AM(UTC)
To the players that will go, Ted will be giving them a nice final preformance before they leave.
#35 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:26:54 AM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
They both have a shot to show they can become part of the passing game.

Otherwise they will be cut.

As for who's next on the chopping block, how about none other than MASON CROSBY?

It's kinda silly to frame this whole discussion in terms of time - "next". "Most likely" to be gone is more significant. Even if Crosby is the most likely, which I doubt, it won't be until after a fairly long drawn out battle with one or probably more other kickers,

As for Williams and Taylor, the reason I say their only chance to stick is as a fullback is because IMO, Finley, Quarless, Bostick, and Stoneburner are all better receivers, and Mulligan is a better blocker. I would estimate four of those would be on the 53 as TEs - F, Q, B, & M - with Stoneburner on the practice squad.

Rss Feed