You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#16 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2013 6:00:41 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 64
Applause Received: 201

Luckman still owns most of the Bears passing records.

He is still #1 all time in TD% and #2 in yards per attempts.

He, Otto Graham and Sammy Baugh are extremely under rated.

Along with George Ratterman, Arnie Herber, Kenny Anderson, Len Dawson, Sonny Jergenson.

Most people don't rank them in any all time greats lists because they have never heard of most of them.

I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline DoddPower  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2013 9:00:10 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Applause Given: 1,450
Applause Received: 337

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister Go to Quoted Post
I said 5% (how much credit I would give a QB) is 10 times the influence of .5%,(how much credit the other players would probably average) so essentially I was agreeing with the point that the QB is a bigger factor. Probably all the time, not just 95% of the time.

So I did get what your were saying. I was just going another level beyond what you were saying.

The Point I was making, the one that you didn't seem follow, is you can't hang losses on or credit wins to a player that is responsible for about 5% of what goes into winning or losing.

The QB is the player with the single biggest role. But when adding it all together, he doesn't win or lose the game.

The QB has a minor to insignificant role in the running game and is less than half the passing game, when you add in receivers and blocking. I would also give half the credit for what the QB does to coaching and management. Coaching for preparation scheme, training, etc. The management gets credit for scouting, and building the team around the QB.

None of that even touches on D and ST which are more than half the game.

Which brings me back to what Vince said.

It was true when he said it and it is true now.

That's fine, but I disagree with you about the importance of the QB position, especially an elite QB or a horrible QB. In my opinion, they are a SUBSTANTIAL factor in the outcome of every game, not a minor one. Today's rules only facilitate that. It's still a team sport, but the play of the QB certainly affects every aspect of the offense and substantially affects the defense, as well. I'm not really into being quantitative about it and guessing at a percentage, because I have no basis of establishing that level of precision. But as I said, it's definitely not a minor rule and I will go as far to say that it is substantial. I certainly believe a QB such as Aaron Rodgers contributes more than 5% to any wins or losses for the Packers almost all the time. There are always exceptions, but exceptions do not define the norm.