You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Greg C.  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:37:28 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

Don Banks of SI has ranked all 32 backup QB's in the NFL, and our very own Brian Brohm came in at #32:

32. Green Bay: Brian Brohm -- You know the story here. No quarterback on the Packers roster has ever started a game in the NFL. Not fourth-year man Aaron Rodgers, and not rookies Brohm and Matt Flynn. Some personnel men believe Brohm could develop into a quality starter, but for now the Packers have the thinnest QB depth chart in the league.

I wasn't the least bit surprised by this, and I can't say I disagree with it. The good news: There's nowhere to go but up (unless Flynn beats him out for the #2 spot). Brohm is young and he should improve. Here's the full article:

http://sportsillustrated...nks/08/26/backups/1.html
blank
Sponsor
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:42:24 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 936

Yes that is not a shocker at all.. the unknown is always shaded as bad.

But honestly.. I would be a heck of a lot more comfortable going into the season with a Vet QB on the sidelines in case of injury and someone that Rodgers can go to as a sounding board over the course of the season.. someone that has started a season and been through the grind and those trying times. Brad Johnson type.. someone that knows his best days are behind him but still brings something to the table.
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Offline strobl2  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:59:02 PM(UTC)
strobl2

I know he will probably improve, but have they been watching his play in preseason.
blank
Offline bozz_2006  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:37:59 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 11

I see nothing but potential!
UserPostedImage
Offline agopackgo4  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:41:36 PM(UTC)
agopackgo4

Applause Received: 3

Not suprising..But more concerning than him being rated so low, is the fact that the Packers have the thinnest depth at the QB poisition(the most important position on the field) Than any other team in the league. That concerns me. Its not so much having a rookie as a back up. Its the fact that we have a rookie to back up a rookie, who is backing up a guy who has never started a game. LOL follow that?
Offline zombieslayer  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:23:29 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

But honestly.. I would be a heck of a lot more comfortable going into the season with a Vet QB on the sidelines in case of injury and someone that Rodgers can go to as a sounding board over the course of the season.. someone that has started a season and been through the grind and those trying times. Brad Johnson type.. someone that knows his best days are behind him but still brings something to the table.

Funny you bring up Brad Johnson. I don't like his immobility, but if we give him time, he's capable. He's one of the few Vet QBs I wouldn't mind having. He's currently retired though, no?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Greg C.  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:55:30 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

I have no problem at all with the rookie QB thing. I care about quality, not experience. Unfortunately, Brohm has struggled more than expected, and that's why I'm a little worried right now. I'm really on the fence with this one. Signing a vet would mean having to cut Flynn, who is a little too good to cut. It's a dilemma. I'm hoping that one of these guys will perform well on Thursday night so Thompson can just keep them.

By the way, Brad Johnson is with the Cowboys now. He comes in at #11 on Banks' list:

11. Dallas: Brad Johnson -- Johnson is the only quarterback on the list who won a Super Bowl as a starter. The Cowboys offense wouldn't be as potent vertically if he were to take over for Tony Romo, but few passers have been more accurate or adept at knowing where to go with the football.
blank
Offline walleye  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 10:04:45 PM(UTC)
walleye

I see nothing but potential!

I see the possibilities for potential or doom. I think we should bring in a vet! :ramboface:
UserPostedImage
Here Fishy Fishy
Offline Bigbyfan  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:47:02 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Applause Given: 21
Applause Received: 71

Funny you bring up Brad Johnson. I don't like his immobility, but if we give him time, he's capable. He's one of the few Vet QBs I wouldn't mind having. He's currently retired though, no?

He is currently the number two for the Cowboys.
blank
Offline gakko  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:31:49 AM(UTC)
gakko

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 1

This proves the hypocracy of the article:

Quote:
14. Miami: Chad Henne -- The Dolphins have the double-Chad attack this season, with Chad Pennington starting and the rookie Henne in reserve. Though he might have to sit and wait his turn all year behind the veteran Pennington, Henne will be the guy in Miami before long.
blank
Offline Greg C.  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:35:17 AM(UTC)
Greg C.

This proves the hypocracy of the article:

Quote:
14. Miami: Chad Henne -- The Dolphins have the double-Chad attack this season, with Chad Pennington starting and the rookie Henne in reserve. Though he might have to sit and wait his turn all year behind the veteran Pennington, Henne will be the guy in Miami before long.

I don't see any hypocrisy. By all accounts, Henne has had a very good training camp while Brohm has struggled.
blank
Offline Cheesey  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2008 9:10:14 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

I think Brohm will be ok......that is if he doesn't have to come in right away. He's way too green to have to start. But give him time, and he will develope. Hopefully we won't need him for a LONG time.
UserPostedImage
Offline chibiabo  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2008 10:42:30 AM(UTC)
chibiabo

:magnifyglass: All this negativity. None of us really know how well or how poorly any player will perform until it's real game time, so I plan to sit back and watch and perhaps get the opportunity to see the makings of a new QB in GB. Should be fun???? Yes! It should be! Our livliehoods doesn't depend on their performance, theirs does!
blank
Offline warhawk  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:45:52 AM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Received: 163

I know Todd Collins came in last year and won a few games but he nor anyone on that list would be considered an extremely good bet to continue with any success their given team had prior to the #1 QB going down.

When Rexy Grossman hits ANY top 10 list it doesn't exactly ooze confidence that this area of backup QB's is one ANY team in this league is overly excited about having to address.

I HOPE Rex Grossman starts against us. Just chalk up a "W" if we're that fortunate.
"The train is leaving the station."
Offline zombieslayer  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2008 2:19:29 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

He is currently the number two for the Cowboys.

Dang it!
I was hoping he was available.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers