Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2013 7:12:28 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 12/11/2012(UTC)

Applause Received: 97

ProFootballTalk wrote:
The Green Bay Packers desperately need to improve their defense.  One strategy may be to reshuffle it. As mentioned in the Monday morning one-liners, the Packers have slid defensive lineman Mike Neal to linebacker. Lori Nickel of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel explains the challenges Neal has faced.  Though Neal has lost weight to assist his
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2013 7:38:55 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 483
Applause Received: 294

This reminds me of Kampman when Capers first came to town. That didn't work out so hot, and Kampman was a much better pass rusher than Neal has been. I hope this either works or they pull the plug before it gets too far along.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2013 7:45:34 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 667

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
This reminds me of Kampman when Capers first came to town. That didn't work out so hot, and Kampman was a much better pass rusher than Neal has been. I hope this either works or they pull the plug before it gets too far along.


Move him inside!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline steveishere  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2013 7:48:02 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
This reminds me of Kampman when Capers first came to town. That didn't work out so hot, and Kampman was a much better pass rusher than Neal has been. I hope this either works or they pull the plug before it gets too far along.


Kampman was still better in that 1/2 season than anybody we've had out there since then. Not bad for his first year in transition. He could have done it but I don't blame him for going to the Jags to play his natural position and got paid a lot of money for it.

I do think Perry will be far better than Kampman every would have but he had his rookie struggles last year and played a few games with a wrist that needed surgery. I can't wait to see this year with 2 actual legit OLB
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2013 7:55:06 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 483
Applause Received: 294

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Move him inside!


I'm tempted to say I agree, given the weakness at ILB, but supposedly better pass coverage ability is needed at ILB than OLB, so Neal would be even more a fish out of water there.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
OlHoss1884 on 7/4/2013(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2013 9:29:20 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 2,097
Applause Received: 530

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I'm tempted to say I agree, given the weakness at ILB, but supposedly better pass coverage ability is needed at ILB than OLB, so Neal would be even more a fish out of water there.



Yeah, Neal at MLB is a silly and horrible idea.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2013 5:52:48 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,969
Applause Received: 2,231

Packers.com Vic Ketchman wrote:
I’m hoping the Mike Neal experiment at linebacker works. I think it’s a cutting-edge attempt by Coach Capers to keep pace with a changing game. This is an attempt at creating a new kind of slash, a defensive lineman/linebacker. I’m interested to see where this leads. If the game was to one day eliminate three and four-point stances, this could become the wave of the future.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2013 3:03:17 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 458

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Move him inside!


Yea because ANY linebacker has got to be better than Jones or Hawk!!!!!

When are some of you gonna figure out that the real problem is a bookend olb opposite CM3?

Hell let's move Raji to ILB, he HAS to be better!!!!!

Maybe bring back Justin Harrel and move him to ILB, even hurt HE HAS TO BE BETTER THAN WHAT The Packers currently have!!!!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline DakotaT  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 4, 2013 1:54:48 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 1,376

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
Yea because ANY linebacker has got to be better than Jones or Hawk!!!!!

When are some of you gonna figure out that the real problem is a bookend olb opposite CM3?

Hell let's move Raji to ILB, he HAS to be better!!!!!

Maybe bring back Justin Harrel and move him to ILB, even hurt HE HAS TO BE BETTER THAN WHAT The Packers currently have!!!!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes


Boo hoo! Boo hoo! Boo hoo! Boo hoo! Boo hoo! Boo hoo!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 7/4/2013(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 12:16:27 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 458

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Boo hoo! Boo hoo! Boo hoo! Boo hoo! Boo hoo! Boo hoo!


Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline DarkaneRules  
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 4:41:22 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 358

I like Vic's take on this one. Call me intrigued.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline yooperfan  
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 5:32:28 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Ishpeming Michigan

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 295

I just find it hard to believe this plan is going to work effectively.
It will probably be "back to the drawing board" after the 3rd preseason game.
Offline OlHoss1884  
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 5:53:08 PM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 5/8/2013(UTC)
Location: Waukegan, IL

Applause Given: 60
Applause Received: 167

My gut feeling on this is that they want to use him situationally or against teams where they need a rush and a run stuffer, not necessarily a prsuer. Two games against the Vikings, games against SF, NY, WAS, PIT and ATL (more so for Jackson than Green) and that fits almost half the schedule. If Perry is healthy and continues to develop this may not be necessary, but Neal can also go to end in sub packages so his versatility will help, too.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline DakotaT  
#14 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 6:17:13 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 1,376

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger


You're pretty sexy when you're mad!! Love
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 7/7/2013(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#15 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 8:23:42 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 458

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
You're pretty sexy when you're mad!! Love


I'm never mad, just preparing for another year of your Football ignorance to start spewing forth!!!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline nerdmann  
#16 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 8:29:52 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 667

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 Go to Quoted Post
My gut feeling on this is that they want to use him situationally or against teams where they need a rush and a run stuffer, not necessarily a prsuer. Two games against the Vikings, games against SF, NY, WAS, PIT and ATL (more so for Jackson than Green) and that fits almost half the schedule. If Perry is healthy and continues to develop this may not be necessary, but Neal can also go to end in sub packages so his versatility will help, too.


Neal ran a 4.6, did he not?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline OlHoss1884  
#17 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 1:17:47 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 5/8/2013(UTC)
Location: Waukegan, IL

Applause Given: 60
Applause Received: 167

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Neal ran a 4.6, did he not?



That doesn't mean he can pursue, which is more a function of vision and quickness than raw speed. I would hope that translates into his having an easier transition. As I say my theory is just that, a theory, but I think they want to be more stout at the point of attack and also be able to push the rush back into the face of the QB. I think some of how well this experiment works will depend on how well they cover in the middle, as I don't think Neal will be able to do much of that, but he could certainly knock a guy trying to come out of the backfield on his ass.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline DarkaneRules  
#18 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 8:43:34 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 358

Neal is a real talented lineman. I was particularly impressed with him last year during training camp. I see him as someone with tremendous upside so I hope this experiment helps this become realized. He was/is one of my 5 players to personally watch this TC.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline DakotaT  
#19 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 8:54:56 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 1,376

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
I'm never mad, just preparing for another year of your Football ignorance to start spewing forth!!!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing


If I ever make it through Ohio again, I'm going to stop and take you out for a beer, and you can explain to me how awesome Hawk is! I listen to all of Texas' bullshit, I have a pretty good tolerance level. LOL

UserPostedImage
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#20 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 3:59:58 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 458

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
If I ever make it through Ohio again, I'm going to stop and take you out for a beer, and you can explain to me how awesome Hawk is! I listen to all of Texas' bullshit, I have a pretty good tolerance level. LOL



There's no reason for me to even try to explain to you what ANY player means to The Packers, you don't have a clue.

I've never said Hawk is awsome, all he has been is a 7 year starter at whatever lb position he has been asked to play, in whatever scheme The Packers have decide to use, which means Ted Thompson and co. must see something in him.

He's not the piece of trash, you and others try to make him out to be, and he is not the problem when it comes to stopping the run.

Last time, the Packers lb problem is not A.J. Hawk and now Brad Jones, the problem is and has been finding 2 olbr's who can play at a high level and more importantly STAY ON THE FIELD!!!!

Since you haven't been able to comprehend this for 7 years, there's no reason for me to believe you will figure it out this time.

So you keep spewing your bullshit, and I'll just keep laughing!!!!
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline DakotaT  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:10:09 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 1,376

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
There's no reason for me to even try to explain to you what ANY player means to The Packers, you don't have a clue.

I've never said Hawk is awsome, all he has been is a 7 year starter at whatever lb position he has been asked to play, in whatever scheme The Packers have decide to use, which means Ted Thompson and co. must see something in him.

He's not the piece of trash, you and others try to make him out to be, and he is not the problem when it comes to stopping the run.

Last time, the Packers lb problem is not A.J. Hawk and now Brad Jones, the problem is and has been finding 2 olbr's who can play at a high level and more importantly STAY ON THE FIELD!!!!

Since you haven't been able to comprehend this for 7 years, there's no reason for me to believe you will figure it out this time.

So you keep spewing your bullshit, and I'll just keep laughing!!!!


Oh, I understand the OLB position problem just fine. We have yet to find our bookend to Clay. But for you to take the stance that we are just fine on the inside shows your complete lack of knowledge of the current game of football and your homerism for the home state boy. We have been getting torched up the middle due to lack of linebacker athleticism, and for you to ignore that breeches your credibility for football acumen quite significantly.

I'll keep the violins on hold for you Buckeye.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 7/9/2013(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2013 3:05:39 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 458

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Oh, I understand the OLB position problem just fine. We have yet to find our bookend to Clay. But for you to take the stance that we are just fine on the inside shows your complete lack of knowledge of the current game of football and your homerism for the home state boy. We have been getting torched up the middle due to lack of linebacker athleticism, and for you to ignore that breeches your credibility for football acumen quite significantly.

I'll keep the violins on hold for you Buckeye.


Hey dumbass,

I AM NOT THE ONE MAKING THE DECISIONS ON WHO IS OR IS NOT ON THE TEAM OR ON THE FIELD.

You can cry and whine all you want about "oh gee why can't The Packers have lbr's like The 49r's",
Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying

That isn't going to change the fact that Brad Jones and A.J. Hawk are still in Green Bay.

Hell if you love that team so much why don't you go to their team forum and spew your football ignorance.

I've said it for the last 3 years, can't wait fpr someone ....ANYONE...to replace A.J. Hawk, because when that happens, you will have to find another player to whine about like a little bitch.

Irealized a long time ago, to look on the POSITIVE side of things, being negative ALL the time, is not good for your health and only turns you into...well, what YOU are.

When The Packers take the field in San Francisco in week 1, the guys I'll be rooting for are the 53 that run onto that field wearing The Green and Gold.

Those are the guys Mike and Co. have decide ARE THE BEST of all those who were at training camp.

Those 53 are the ones the coaching staff has decided gives The Packers the BEST chance to continue being succsesful.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline play2win  
#23 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 6:31:14 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

You guys should start an AJ Hawk thread. That might be fun. Again.

(FWIW, Hawk had 3 PDef and 0 INTs over the last two seasons, after putting up 10 and 3 in 2010. His play should improve with better line play and better talent alongside him).

Neal transitioning into coverage as a LB is another wrinkle from Capers. This move is all about disguising his intentions. Could prove to be a big package if Neal is lined up at OLB with a full DL complement. Neal's athleticism allows for the disguise on D.

I doubt this gets used much anyway, but it will be interesting to see if Neal is effective at LB.
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#24 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:50:26 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 6/12/2010(UTC)

Applause Given: 292
Applause Received: 266

I don't think they would unveil a "super secret plan" in the first day of OTAs with the NATIONAL MEDIA watching.

Smells fishy to me.

Like a red herring.

You don't put a flashing red light and a siren on top of a secret plan unless you want people to think that is your secret plan when in reality, something else is.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 7/12/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / blueleopard

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / stevegb

28-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / rabidgopher04

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann