Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 7:54:08 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,969
Applause Received: 2,232

Each year it seems the Packers have someone who breaks out and has a fantastic season. Last season it was James Jones with his incredible catches and league leading touchdown total. The season prior it was the emergence of deep threat Jordy Nelson while also leading the league in touchdown receptions.

With Training Camp around the corner, who do you expect to have a breakout season this year?

I'm going with Mike Neal.

During the 2012 season Neal had five sacks in 11 games and he was consistently disruptive in the backfield. I see him getting double digit sack totals this season and helping free up Clay Matthews III.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 7/19/2013(UTC)
Offline OlHoss1884  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 8:00:23 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 60
Applause Received: 167

Maybe I am just optimistic about the draft but I think Lacy up the middle is going to open a lot of eyes this year.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DoddPower on 7/19/2013(UTC), nerdmann on 7/19/2013(UTC)
Offline agopackgo4  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 8:34:42 AM(UTC)
agopackgo4

Applause Received: 3

I want to submit two answers. Both at the same position. Davon House, and Casey Hayward. If I had to pick one, I'd say Hayward. I know he had a good season last year but i think he could still break out even bigger. He'll get his chances. House has to stay healthy.
Zero2Cool on 7/19/2013(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 9:37:37 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 484
Applause Received: 294

I agree with Hoss about Lacy. On Defense, I'll go with Nick Perry. Either Jerron McMillian or M.D. Jennings too maybe.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 1:40:54 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 667

Lang. Played one armed last year after the elbow injury. He's gonna be full go this year.

Also I'll say McMillian. He's gonna take that second year leap.

Then there's also Davon House, FINALLY getting his shot.

But I agree on Lacy. He's gonna be our short yardage guy. Gonna be fun to watch our RBs this year.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline play2win  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 1:49:34 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I think its going to be Cobby... all that play action over the middle is going to be stellar pickings for Aaron. He'll be dropping shit in there over the middle to Cobb all freaking day, every day.... right over the Safety biting on Lacy and Franklin...

Randall Cobb will break Jennings' highest numbers this season.
Offline beast  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 1:54:54 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 322

So many to choose from... maybe not in this order but the guys I'm thinking / hoping will break out.

Perry
Neal
McMillian
Quarless
Boykins
Ross

and of course I hope some linemen break out but I'm less sure about them.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline play2win  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 2:24:55 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
So many to choose from... maybe not in this order but the guys I'm thinking / hoping will break out.

Perry
Neal
McMillian
Quarless
Boykins
Ross

You're right. i want them all to break out this year with incredible seasons, and yet more players.... Manning! Palmer! EDS! Lacy! Franklin! Hyde!

Offline nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 4:17:01 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post

Perry
Neal
McMillian
Quarless
Boykins
Ross

Great call on Quarless.

Add him to my list!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline agopackgo4  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 5:11:49 PM(UTC)
agopackgo4

Yeah you know what I forgot about Quarless. I would like to change my answer to him. Assuming he gets enough of a chance. Everyone has talked about Finley's raw physical talent and ability. But I'd like to point out how Quarless is built as well. And I think he has very good raw ability.
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#11 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 6:05:46 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 292
Applause Received: 266

Green.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline nerdmann  
#12 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 6:22:08 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: agopackgo4 Go to Quoted Post
Yeah you know what I forgot about Quarless. I would like to change my answer to him. Assuming he gets enough of a chance. Everyone has talked about Finley's raw physical talent and ability. But I'd like to point out how Quarless is built as well. And I think he has very good raw ability.

Not only that, he's willing to block. And he does it well.
Offline agopackgo4  
#13 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 6:23:24 PM(UTC)
agopackgo4

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Not only that, he's willing to block. And he does it well.

And people shouldn't forget who helped the offense on the way to the Super Bowl...
Offline beast  
#14 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 6:54:59 PM(UTC)
beast

And people shouldn't forget who helped the offense on the way to the Super Bowl...

Yes he did a great blocking and being used a deep decoy to get the Safeties to follow the deepest guy (him) while WRs undercut his route and caught passes underneath for 1st downs.

Though he did have the speed to get deep fast which is great, but also remember why he was in that role. Mike McCarthy changed the offense to focus on the TEs (mainly Finley) then Finley got hurt and Mike McCarthy tried to keep the offense the same but Quarless couldn't fill that playmaking role to Mike McCarthy switched it back to focus on the WRs. And Quarless did GREAT in the smaller role.

But that's my worry with Quarless, will he make the catches or will he go back to dropping a lot of passes even though he did a great job of getting open.

With the way Quarless moves, very quick powerful burst, you could (and Mike McCarthy has on screens) use Quarless some what in the same way you use Cobb... well of course Quarless is 6'5" 250 and can't change directions nearly as well as Cobb but he could do all the quick burst stuff and he has a lot more power and blocking skill than Cobb.

But IMO what role he plays all depends on weather how well he can catch the ball. Too often in the past it looks like Quarless would lose the ball in the air and not realize where it was until it was too late. Hopefully he's got that fixed.
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline agopackgo4  
#15 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 7:00:21 PM(UTC)
agopackgo4

You may have a point beast... But remember, that offense centered around TE's wasn't exactly humming along and looking great before Finley got hurt. It didn't happen until the last few games of the regular season. Didn't matter if it was Finley or Quarless.
Offline beast  
#16 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 7:18:02 PM(UTC)
beast

You may have a point beast... But remember, that offense centered around TE's wasn't exactly humming along and looking great before Finley got hurt. It didn't happen until the last few games of the regular season. Didn't matter if it was Finley or Quarless.

I'm just saying the kid has a TON of potential, but he won't be able to reach it if he doesn't fix his catching problem.

As far as the 2010 regular season it started and finished 3-3. And if I remember correctly Finley was playing great before getting hurt while Jennings was playing worse and at times throwing a hissy fit at times during the middle of the game.

If I remember correctly one that got him a lot of attention on this board was a DEEP pass that went off his hands and into the hands of a defender, but Jennings was too busy complaining to notice the defender caught it and returned it a good ways.

So it wasn't just Finley but also Jennings playing harder complaining less, and I believe Nelson finally broke out at the end of the season.

So it's not all just Quarless. But again, Quarless has major potential and I'm very much hoping he breaks out like we know he can (which is why I listed him as one of my break out guys).
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline PackerTraxx  
#17 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 12:07:40 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

I'll go with Perry and House on the D. On O I'll go with Quarless and, here's a real flyer, Sherrod.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
nerdmann on 7/20/2013(UTC)
Offline Bigbyfan  
#18 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:28:05 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Applause Given: 26
Applause Received: 81

Morgan Burnett - He just received his new contract, now he's going to go out there and earn it. As my "breakout player," I am hoping he makes the same Year 4 jump that Nick Collins made. With the added pass rush, I could see Burnett becoming our next turnover machine at Safety. He showed last year that he has no problem being around the ball, with over 100 tackles. IMO, this is the year where more of those tackles turn into forced fumbles and he finds his hands on more interceptions. As the new "leader" of the secondary, he has added responsibility in making sure everyone is where they have to be. I'm hoping he is able to step up and become one of our better defensive players. He has the ability to.
blank
Offline steveishere  
#19 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 5:41:47 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Brian Bulaga - Technically he was a breakout player in 2011 but with some struggles last year and a position change I think he can have a "breakout" year as a LT.
Offline nerdmann  
#20 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 8:53:12 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Andrew Datko: Training Camp Dark Horse or Off the Team?

Quote:
Here’s a quick rundown of the Packers offensive line situation. In for sure: Bryan Bulaga, Josh Sitton, Evan Dietrich-Smith, T.J. Lang, Marshall Newhouse. Probably in: David Bakhtiari, Don Barclay, Sherrod (if healthy). Fighting for their lives: Datko, Greg Van Roten, Lane Taylor, whoever the hell they list as a backup center.

There are already eight offensive lineman with a head start on Datko. Another one (Van Roten) is also probably ahead of him.

The odds for Datko don’t look very good, but it’s hard to count out a guy who was so promising before getting hurt.

Dude's got a shot.
Offline dhpackr  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:07:06 AM(UTC)
dhpackr

Applause Given: 36
Applause Received: 36

I think the breakout “Players” for 2013 will be the offensive line and the fact that T Bryan Bulaga, guard Josh Sitton will be moving to the left side, and guard T.J. Lang, tackle Marshall Newhouse will be moving to the right side. The Packers have the best QB in the game, and really need to protect him better than last year.

I also think by Mike McCarthy drafting two running backs he is going to make a genuine effort to have a running attack established early and often. I feel we will see a much more balanced attack this season on Offense 60% passing and 40% running. Eddie Lacy is my pick for Offensive ROY and the next 1000 yard back for GB.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Zero2Cool on 7/23/2013(UTC), yooperfan on 7/23/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed