You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline IronMan  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 12:50:12 AM(UTC)
IronMan

Applause Given: 14
Applause Received: 53

So I was at a restaurant the other day, trying to enjoy my meal, when a couple that was sitting next to me, had a 2 year old that would not stop crying. Of course they did nothing to quiet their kid, and I had to sit through this for about 10 minutes before i finally got up and left. They were getting a lot of dirty looks from people; but nobody did or said anything.

So what do you do in a situation like this? Punch the Dad in the face? Ask the waitress to throw their asses out? Throw a fit of your own and see how they like it?
Sponsor
Offline vegOmatic  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 1:13:44 AM(UTC)
vegOmatic

Applause Received: 3

It can be really annoying for everyone but once I change my Depends everybody is happy.
blank
Offline longtimefan  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 1:26:24 AM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

You say they did nothing? Maybe they did try tactics that have worked in the past, like a certain word, or a certain look but this time it didn't work.

As a parent of a child that used to behave that way, they probably felt WORSE and MORE embarrassed then the anger you felt.

It is no fun at all to be that table with the screaming child.

But to answer, depends on if they have ordered yet, or were eating.I would have asked the waitress/manager to see if they could be moved, or something.

It isn't right for the entire place to have to deal with it..

But then again I thought McDonald's allowed kids to yell and scream
Offline IronMan  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 1:34:40 AM(UTC)
IronMan

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

I wouldn't eat at McDonalds if it was the last restaurant on Earth. I don't eat fast food period.
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 4:07:42 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 365
Applause Received: 263

As the father of twin two-year-olds who is complimented everywhere he goes on how well behaved his children are (for good reason: I train them like puppies), I would suggest you do one of two things: a) Politely bring it up with the host(ess), who will then probably bring it up with the manager, who with then politely request that the parents take the child out to the car until it calms down. b) You could bring it up with the parents themselves and suggest they remove the child from the situation for a few minutes. Honestly, I think option a) is preferable, since the restaurant isn't your property and the parents are less likely to tell the manager to fuck off.

I totally understand your frustration. I have zero respect for parents who are unable or unwilling to control their children in public. Anyone who can train a puppy to obey has no excuse for having unruly children.
UserPostedImage
Offline longtimefan  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 4:39:07 AM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

I have zero respect for parents who are unable or unwilling to control their children in public. Anyone who can train a puppy to obey has no excuse for having unruly children.

Mentaly challenged kids?
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 5:46:37 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 365
Applause Received: 263

Even if the child has cognitive challenges, there's no excuse for not removing the child from the situation, in my opinion. It's a simple application of the Golden Rule: people go to a restaurant to have a good time.
UserPostedImage
Offline IronMan  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 8:18:08 AM(UTC)
IronMan

As the father of twin two-year-olds who is complimented everywhere he goes on how well behaved his children are t

Same way when I was a kid. I knew not to act up in public. My dad must have brought the hammer down at a young age, because as far back as I can remember(4 yrs old or so) I just knew not to act up. It just wasn't an option. LOL He's a former Staff Sgt in the Army and he was definitely a disciplinarian. You can now understand why I get so frustrated with this penalty ridden, mistake prone, cluster-fuck of a team this year.

If my dad were the coach, mental errors and pre snap penalties would....well like I said before, they would not be an option. :thumbleft:
Offline dfosterf  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 9:24:07 AM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 157
Applause Received: 337

Even if the child has cognitive challenges, there's no excuse for not removing the child from the situation, in my opinion. It's a simple application of the Golden Rule: people go to a restaurant to have a good time.

I have one of these stories that comes with a happy ending. I took my extended family to a rather upscale restaurant for Christmas Eve. Dinner.
I think there was over 20 people in our "party". A gentleman and his wife were apparently doing essentially the same thing at the tables next to us, and him and I were "back-to-back" seating arrangement-wise.

In their party, there were a couple of kids acting up rather badly, and I seem to recall several trips were made by the mom wih child/children in tow to try and "quell the riot". While the kids were a bit on the irritating side, it was certainly no big deal, and these were obviously "good parents", in that they were doing everything in their power to calm their kids. I remember the "host" of the party leaning back and quietly apologizing to me for any disturbance these kids might be causing.

That in and of itself has a calming effect in the irritation department, if you know what I mean...you feel compassion instead of anger.

Our server showed up with a round of adult beverages, courtesy of the gentleman at the next table. This also served to help quiet any residual animosity felt by members of my family, and again the gentleman quietly apologized to me, and I insisted that it really was no big deal, but thank you very much for the drinks and concern. The other family left shortly after that.

Over an hour and several drinks later, we got up to leave, and I asked for the check. The server said there was no check, and that the gentleman that had been sitting next to you picked up your tab, and just wanted to say he was sorry for disturbing you. That check was easily over a thousand bucks.
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline IronMan  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 10:15:05 AM(UTC)
IronMan

I have one of these stories that comes with a happy ending. I took my extended family to a rather upscale restaurant for Christmas Eve. Dinner.
I think there was over 20 people in our "party". A gentleman and his wife were apparently doing essentially the same thing at the tables next to us, and him and I were "back-to-back" seating arrangement-wise.

In their party, there were a couple of kids acting up rather badly, and I seem to recall several trips were made by the mom wih child/children in tow to try and "quell the riot". While the kids were a bit on the irritating side, it was certainly no big deal, and these were obviously "good parents", in that they were doing everything in their power to calm their kids. I remember the "host" of the party leaning back and quietly apologizing to me for any disturbance these kids might be causing.

That in and of itself has a calming effect in the irritation department, if you know what I mean...you feel compassion instead of anger.

Our server showed up with a round of adult beverages, courtesy of the gentleman at the next table. This also served to help quiet any residual animosity felt by members of my family, and again the gentleman quietly apologized to me, and I insisted that it really was no big deal, but thank you very much for the drinks and concern. The other family left shortly after that.

Over an hour and several drinks later, we got up to leave, and I asked for the check. The server said there was no check, and that the gentleman that had been sitting next to you picked up your tab, and just wanted to say he was sorry for disturbing you. That check was easily over a thousand bucks.
Wow!
Offline 4PackGirl  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 11:16:27 AM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 143
Applause Received: 118

well that's cool drivel - my twins are 6 years old. ahhh memories...the joys, the tears, the pulling out of my hair!!! LOL. i am also complimented constantly on the boys behavior when we're out in public. it's truly amazing that they can sit there waiting patiently for a meal in a restaurant but if it takes ME an extra 2 minutes to boil the macaroni, i'm pummelled with "when's it gonna be readies?" every 5 seconds!
UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 11:56:45 AM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 157
Applause Received: 337

All my kids (4 of my own and 1 adopted) are grown up now. I think it the height of irony that none of them ever caused any major "scenes" in restaurants/public places. Not only was I the worst offender imaginable, but when I got older, I was the instigator with younger brothers, including a fresh "import" due to my dad getting remarried after my mom had passed. Right about the time my natural brother was too old to fall for the stuff that I would do to get him in trouble (he was two years my junior), along comes a step-brother 4 years my junior, which naturally caused me to start all over again with my old tricks.

I was SO BAD that it reached the point where my younger brothers would be allowed to go to the restaurant, while I had to sit home alone, which created a whole new set of problems for my parents and my tucas upon their return. The whole me staying at home alone solution arose when my folks decided one day to leave all of us at home. It seems that I had some poor timing issues on that day. As they were leaving in the car, my step-mom glanced back at the house and saw (through the window) yours truly chasing his little brothers around the house with a broom. My shenanigans at a restaurant involved all the condiments left on the table, various foods through noses, straws, spit wads, harrassment of fellow patrons...

I was NOT a good boy, including a screamer/pouter when very young.

Just goes to show that there is no justice in this world. :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline Packerchick  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 12:29:32 PM(UTC)
Packerchick

Applause Given2: 590
Applause Received: 25

You say they did nothing? Maybe they did try tactics that have worked in the past, like a certain word, or a certain look but this time it didn't work.

As a parent of a child that used to behave that way, they probably felt WORSE and MORE embarrassed then the anger you felt.

It is no fun at all to be that table with the screaming child.

But to answer, depends on if they have ordered yet, or were eating.I would have asked the waitress/manager to see if they could be moved, or something.

It isn't right for the entire place to have to deal with it..

Mcdonalds has a play area for the kids, there they can scream and yell to their hears content
I am a woman and I love football.
Offline gotarace  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 12:34:07 PM(UTC)
gotarace

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 15

My kids knew better than to raise hell in a restaurant ...shopping center ...church....other peoples homes. Actions were swift and direct to control their outbreaks. But as i grew older crying anoying kids bother me less and less. I think i have personally grown amune to that crap. But back to my kids. They knew those outbursts were disturbing to the point that sometimes they would get up from our table at a resturant and try to calm the kids themselfs. This reaction by my children made me proud of them and usually the parents of the renagade were more than thankful for my childrens efforts. It's amazing how kids can calm down kids.

I sure miss the days when a good crack on the ass could cure many problems in this world. Hell when i was a kid you feared every adult your parents knew. At any given time you could get your rear cracked and a report to dad made the punishment twice as bad. {don't get me started on punishment from teachers} Sometimes this pussified world we have created for the children these days makes me shake my head. My father was a firm believer in "spare the rod ruin the child" and i'll be dammed if we shouldn't return to that these days.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
Offline Cheesey  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 12:35:37 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

As the father of twin two-year-olds who is complimented everywhere he goes on how well behaved his children are t

Same way when I was a kid. I knew not to act up in public. My dad must have brought the hammer down at a young age, because as far back as I can remember(4 yrs old or so) I just knew not to act up. It just wasn't an option. LOL He's a former Staff Sgt in the Army and he was definitely a disciplinarian. You can now understand why I get so frustrated with this penalty ridden, mistake prone, cluster-fuck of a team this year.

If my dad were the coach, mental errors and pre snap penalties would....well like I said before, they would not be an option. :thumbleft:

Thats the way my parents were. If you acted up ONCE in a restaurant, that was the LAST time you ever went. And my folks would have left the restaurant BEFORE we had a chance to screw up anyone elese dinner.
And i was NOT beaten, i was spanked. (Not nearly as often as i deserved it, I'm sure)
If you go to a nice restaurant, and you can't control your kids, they should be left at home with a baby sitter. If you can't get a sitter, then you don't go out. There is NO excuse for people to screw up other people's meals.
Thats just plain selfish to not care if you mess other people's night up.
UserPostedImage