Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2013 2:59:06 PM(UTC)
Kevin Seifert said:
ESPN's Adam Schefter makes two important points in this video report on Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf, whose family is on the losing end of a 21-year legal fight with former partners in a real estate venture. Both points draw important distinctions between this case and the one involving current Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam. First, the case was based on civil rather than criminal law. Second, its duration means the NFL was fully aware of it when the Wilfs bought a controlling interest in the franchise in 2005.
Wade  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2013 6:25:30 AM(UTC)
I venture there's not a billionaire in the world who hasn't been involved in major civil litigation more than once. It goes with the territory.

And, IMO, you don't make/keep billions without occasionally being "in the wrong" for such cases.

If the owners disciplined Wilf for his, the only team not disciplined would be the Packers. And (maybe) the Raiders, since their current ownership is relatively new to a good chunk of its wealth.
Pack93z  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2013 8:09:16 AM(UTC)

Like I mentioned in the shout the other day, the relatively quiet training camp for the Vikes might get a bit more noisy with this coming to light.

It may or may not negatively affect the team on the field... but it certainly will not help them either.

Distractions.

PFTalk said:
The NFL doesn’t plan to take action in the wake of the civil fraud verdict against Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf. But Minnesota governor Mark Dayton apparently will.

According to KSTP-TV, Dayton is “deeply concerned” about a New Jersey judge’s findings of fraud committed by the Wilfs in a business transaction. The 21-year-old lawsuit arose from allegedly inaccurate financial accounting in connection with a partnership that built and maintained an apartment complex in New Jersey.

In the wake of the ruling, Dayton has urged a final review of the Vikings stadium deal to ensure that there was no fraud or other inappropriate business dealings.

“I would urge the [Stadium Authority] to have its legal counsel assure them and the people of Minnesota that all the representations made by the team and its owners are truthful and accurate,” Dayton said.
Formo  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2013 12:46:57 PM(UTC)
Florio begging for clicks again.

Dayton is concerned, and honestly it's not unwarranted. But there's not a whole lot he can do about it. Vikings have already commented saying that their funds for the deal will be 100% guaranteed. Thus, no need to worry. I don't blame Dayton and others to be diligent on this, but this is hardly a blip. Unless something comes to light that NO ONE knows about, this will be all but forgotten by the 2nd week of the season.
Formo  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2013 12:49:09 PM(UTC)
Pack93z said: Go to Quoted Post
Like I mentioned in the shout the other day, the relatively quiet training camp for the Vikes might get a bit more noisy with this coming to light.

It may or may not negatively affect the team on the field... but it certainly will not help them either.

Distractions.

In my estimation, that this is the ONLY non-football related news coming out of TC for the Vikings is a great sign. I don't think this'll affect the team on-field in any way. I agree that it doesn't help.. but that's the nature of the beast.
Pack93z  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:03:59 AM(UTC)
Still more muted drama for the Vikings.. again, probably has no effect on field this season.. if ever. But.....

Quote:
Vikings stadium faces final, unexpected hurdle

Posted by Mike Florio on August 12, 2013, 11:39 PM EDT

Last week’s civil verdict against Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf initially attracted attention because it flowed from a 21-year-old lawsuit. Ultimately, it could make it harder for the Vikings to escape their 31-year-old home.

Given that the litigation arose from allegedly inappropriate business practices committed by the Wilfs in an unrelated context, Governor Mark Dayton has urged the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Authority to make one final review of the stadium deal, to ensure that no chicanery occurred in the negotiations. And that’s precisely what the MSFA’s board is doing.

“Everybody is on high alert that this is going to be looked at under a fine microscope,” member Duane Benson said, via the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “The governor is not going to, nor are we going to, treat this lightly. A lot of legislators will be watching this very closely, as well we should.”

Technically, the stadium deal isn’t finalized. If a fine-toothed comb reveals issues or potential misrepresentations or other evidence of underhanded business practices, the agreement could potentially implode.

If actual or apparent proof of misconduct appears, it would indeed be proper to ask questions and to resolve any issues that arise. It would be improper, however, for the powers-that-be to use an unrelated lawsuit as cover to squeeze the Wilfs into reconfiguring a bargain about which some politicians may be having remorse.
wpr  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:39:29 AM(UTC)
That would be funny in a sick and twisted sort of way if they stadium deal comes tumbling down. Personally I don't like the idea of another downtown stadium but I don't get a voice int he matter. My vote is for the unused land in St Paul. It will have to be cleaned up first and the infrastructure built I can't see anyone else using the land for a major project anytime soon.
Formo  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:26:35 PM(UTC)
Florio reaching for clicks again.
wpr  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:49:48 PM(UTC)
Formo said: Go to Quoted Post
Florio reaching for clicks again.

maybe so but doesn't make it untrue.
Formo  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:04:54 PM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
maybe so but doesn't make it untrue.

Stretching or leaving out details of the truth does not equal untruth, no. But doesn't make it truth, either.
Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:09:26 PM(UTC)
Stretching or leaving out details of the truth does not equal untruth, no. But doesn't make it truth, either.

Truth is, Ryan Longwell chose to retire a winner instead of a Viking.

IT MATTERS!!
Formo  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:24:13 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Truth is, Ryan Longwell chose to retire a winner instead of a Viking.

IT MATTERS!!

What a great substantial burn there, Kev. And, it was even on topic.
macbob  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:05:58 PM(UTC)
What a great substantial burn there, Kev. And, it was even on topic.

Jeremy-did you see the invite in the fantasy football section? You're late...
sschind  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:39:30 PM(UTC)
Wade said: Go to Quoted Post
I venture there's not a billionaire in the world who hasn't been involved in major civil litigation more than once. It goes with the territory.

And, IMO, you don't make/keep billions without occasionally being "in the wrong" for such cases.

If the owners disciplined Wilf for his, the only team not disciplined would be the Packers. And (maybe) the Raiders, since their current ownership is relatively new to a good chunk of its wealth.

I am sure there are some Packers owners who have done much worse things than Wilf or Haslam have done. If you are going to claim to be an owner you have to be an owner.

Formo  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:29:21 PM(UTC)
macbob said: Go to Quoted Post
Jeremy-did you see the invite in the fantasy football section? You're late...

I did, when it was already too late. I couldn't log in for a few days for some reason. Kept getting an error. Seeing how the site has a new look, I'd venture a guess that is why.
Rss Feed