Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline steveishere  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:37:15 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Originally Posted by: macbob Go to Quoted Post
This philosophy makes me crazy. I much prefer a ball-control type offense--not necessarily running the ball, but moving the chains; eating up clock; getting the other team's offense out-of-synch by sitting on the bench for an extended period; giving your defense some rest.

With the 'big play' philosophy if you don't make the big play, then the other team gets the ball right back with plenty of time on the clock and your defense gets gassed.

I miss Mike Sherman's offense. He stunk as a GM, but I liked him as a coach. Better than I'm liking McCarthy as a coach.

I think you are overstating the harm done by hitting big plays. The basis of the offense is still to get first downs and move the ball because that's what sets up being able to hit some big plays. Saying we need to be better at hitting those big plays isn't a bad thing at all because big plays kill the other team. It's a lot easier to get down field only needing 2 or 3 first downs than it is needing 6 or 7.

People seem to like thinking that GBs offense has traditionally been bad for the defense but that never made sense to me. We've been one of the best at converting 3rd downs and getting first downs in general, we don't turn the ball over EVER, we don't go 3 and out very often, we don't punt very often, we get TDs instead of FGs when we are in the RZ, and we typically leave the defense in good field position to start their drives. If the defense has struggles getting off the field and gassing it seems weak to me to blame the offense for it.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DoddPower on 8/20/2013(UTC), macbob on 8/20/2013(UTC)
Offline macbob  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:28:38 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 304
Applause Received: 252

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
I think you are overstating the harm done by hitting big plays. The basis of the offense is still to get first downs and move the ball because that's what sets up being able to hit some big plays. Saying we need to be better at hitting those big plays isn't a bad thing at all because big plays kill the other team. It's a lot easier to get down field only needing 2 or 3 first downs than it is needing 6 or 7.

People seem to like thinking that GBs offense has traditionally been bad for the defense but that never made sense to me. We've been one of the best at converting 3rd downs and getting first downs in general, we don't turn the ball over EVER, we don't go 3 and out very often, we don't punt very often, we get TDs instead of FGs when we are in the RZ, and we typically leave the defense in good field position to start their drives. If the defense has struggles getting off the field and gassing it seems weak to me to blame the offense for it.

I was originally going to argue on the 3 & outs, but when I looked into the #s we are actually one of the top teams in the league every year (except 2010, when we won the SB, lol). My perception was obviously skewed from reality.

I do think our stats feed a bit on the week defensive teams that are easier to exploit down the field and that our offensive style struggles against the better teams (hence our good regular season record and spotty post-season record recently).
UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:00:33 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

OK, lets do a reality check:

Under McCarthy, what percentage of the Packers Big Plays have been pass plays vs running plays? Big Play = Pass greater than 25 yds, Run greater than 10 yds

a. 47% b. 54% c. 61% d. 68% e. 75%

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 8/21/2013(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:44:13 PM(UTC)
steveishere

I think the point is if you have the ability and opportunity to hit on some big plays (we do) then you don't pass it up. Getting big plays > not getting big plays. There is no logical reason to actively try to avoid explosive game breaking plays if you have the ability to pull it off, that would be stupid. That's not saying to try and force it if you aren't good at it and try to get a homerun every time you touch the ball (I do not believe McCarthy does this as much as some people seem to act like he does).
Offline steveishere  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:50:10 PM(UTC)
steveishere

lol how many times did Aaron Rodgers lead the team in those 10 yard runs?
Offline macbob  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:49:38 PM(UTC)
macbob

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
lol how many times did Aaron Rodgers lead the team in those 10 yard runs?

Led the team once, tied for the lead once. Trailed the team leader by double digits 3 times.

2012: Rodgers 9 out of 37 total; led team. Alex Green had 8, Cobb had 7; DuJuan Harris 6
2011: Rodgers 8 out of 41 total. Starks led team with 19; Grant with 12
2010: Rodgers 16 out of 41 total, tied for team lead. Brandon Jackson also had 16.
2009: Rodgers 14 out of 42 total. Grant led team with 24.
2008: Rodgers 5 out of 41 total. Grant led team with 27; Brandon Jackson had 6.

Obviously, Aaron Rodgers wasn't the starter 2007 and 2006, but here were the team leaders those years:

2007: Grant 24 (out of 35 total); BJack 4
2006: Ahman Green 24 (out of 42 total); Vernand Morency 12; Brett Favre 3
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 8/21/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed