Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages<12

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
macbob  
#21 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 6:22:02 PM(UTC)
StoicFire said: Go to Quoted Post
The way I see it, it is still Mason's job to lose at this point. The difference now is that we have a young, hungry, and talented player behind him ready to take his job. If Crosby slips into a slump entering December, we have another option. So I think this season is effectively Mason's last shot to win back McCarthy's confidence in him. If he fails, then we have a young talent to develop for the future.

That was Tavecchio.

The only reason to bring in a third at this point is you didn't like option 1 or 2.
olds70supreme  
#22 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 9:32:35 PM(UTC)
I like Crosby but he really showed that he is a wildcard head case at Family Night. If an entire off season and relatively friendly home crowd isn't enough to get you over your mental hump, what is? I'm not wild about Tavecchio, but at least he doesn't show a tendency to implode. I'm interested to see what the new guy can do. As for the salary cap talk, if Crosby would have had his s*** together last year nobody, coaches included, would have been able to tell you what he was making .
OlHoss1884  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:07:42 AM(UTC)
I think they saw GT as not a major upgrade on field goals but weak-legged on kickoffs, so there wasn't really a good reason to take a risk on him.
sschind  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:26:28 AM(UTC)
olds70supreme said: Go to Quoted Post
As for the salary cap talk, if Crosby would have had his s*** together last year nobody, coaches included, would have been able to tell you what he was making .

What does this mean exactly? All salaries are public record I believe.

olds70supreme  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:25:39 AM(UTC)
Quote:
What does this mean exactly? All salaries are public record I believe.

I was being facetious - my point was that nobody would have cared what Crosby's contract amount was if he was performing as he had earlier instead of going through an extended bad streak. I don't believe that the idea of cutting Crosby is motivated by cost savings. Instead, I believe cutting Crosby (if it happens) is motivated by performance, or lack thereof.
play2win  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:33:52 AM(UTC)
Hey, they found Zach Ramirez, and kudos to them for doing so.

Crosby is done. We cannot bring back the worst kicker in the NFL at that salary. Make that, at any salary. Crosby has shown he still has the yips, and he needs to be shown the door. I couldn't take another season of what we witnessed last year. Tavecchio was only marginally better overall with the FGs, and worse on KOs, and he was a lefty. If Giorgio was far and away better than Crosby, we wouldn't be having this discussion. He just wasn't.

The only "scenario" under which Travecchio might return to GB is if Ramirez breaks his leg... Heaven forbid!
StoicFire  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 8:49:54 AM(UTC)
macbob said: Go to Quoted Post
That was Tavecchio.

The only reason to bring in a third at this point is you didn't like option 1 or 2.

Maybe you're right, I just don't think it is that simple. I don't think Tavecchio ever really had a shot. Ramirez and Crosby have the same skill set, so Ramirez needs only to be more consistent to have a real shot. I still think at this point he is an insurance policy.

I think there are people in the organization who think that the Crosby of old is going to reemerge at some point; and as frustrating as it was to watch him struggle last year, I think we all would be happy to have the Crosby of 2011 back on the field. Hopefully he comes out of his slump soon though, because his window is closing.
olds70supreme  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:12:17 AM(UTC)
Quote:
I think there are people in the organization who think that the Crosby of old is going to reemerge at some point; and as frustrating as it was to watch him struggle last year, I think we all would be happy to have the Crosby of 2011 back on the field. Hopefully he comes out of his slump soon though, because his window is closing.

I agree, but I think that his window is essentially closed. The only way for him to prove he is out of the slump is to go an extended period of time without misses. He won't get that in the remainder of the preseason, and I think the team would be crazy to go into the season with him just to let him prove it one way or the other. I think Ramirez gets the job as long as he doesn't go into a funk of his own in what little is left of camp and preseason. Or, stated another way, the only way Crosby sticks is if Ramirez shows terrible accuracy in camp.
Tezzy  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:03:46 AM(UTC)
Welp, Ramirez didn't put any nails in Crosby's coffin at practice today.
Cheesey  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:47:10 AM(UTC)
To me, it seemed Tavecchio didn't have a very powefful leg. And in GB in the winter time, you better be able to kick with some power.

nerdmann  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:48:22 AM(UTC)
Micheal Rodney

Quote:
Remember this charade when Crosby inevitably loses his kicking stroke during the season and costs the Packers a W.
buckeyepackfan  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:35:47 PM(UTC)
Didn't want to start a new thread, pulled this from news Story

"After Crosby’s recent run of success on the practice field – he’s been 24-of-25 over the past two days and is also 4-for-4 in preseason games – he’s got to hold the advantage. But it still doesn’t cut Tavecchio out of the equation. We all know that Crosby has seemingly been a head case the past year or so. Do the Packers take the chance he won’t revert to that level of performance or do they count on him being the kicker they have seen the past couple of days?

Tavecchio is wondering, too. But he’s got to be happy that the kicker the Packers brought in on Sunday, Zachary Ramirez, was pathetic in practice today. He converted only 6-of-16 today and has been 16-of-27 over the past two days.

In fact, throughout camp, it was Tavecchio who had the best success rate (56-of-64, 87.5 percent) during camp. Crosby, including his most recent string of success, was 67-of-81 (82.7 percent)."

Those of you who just can't wait for Crosby to "FAIL", are just gonna have to wait a little longer.

Ramirez migth have a monster leg, but doesn't look so far that he can kick under pressure.

Look at it this way, if Crosby is The Packers kicker this year and he happens to miss one, anyone who wants to can jump up and down and say "SEE I TOLD YOU SO'!!! [aiee] [aiee] [aiee] [aiee]

http://lombardiave.com/2...ckers-giovani-tavecchio/
sschind  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:59:27 PM(UTC)
olds70supreme said: Go to Quoted Post
I was being facetious - my point was that nobody would have cared what Crosby's contract amount was if he was performing as he had earlier instead of going through an extended bad streak. I don't believe that the idea of cutting Crosby is motivated by cost savings. Instead, I believe cutting Crosby (if it happens) is motivated by performance, or lack thereof.

OK, You are right, salary doesn't mean a thing if the guy is producing.

I also agree that salary won't have an impact on the decision. It will come down to the guy who they think will be the better kicker. If they were concerned about a kicker making too much money they would not have signed him to the contract in the first place. My comments on the salary cap were simply to point out that if you had two guys that were equal on the field it would make sense to cut Crosby. I do not think that will happen now unless Crosby simply implodes.

Rss Feed