Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline steveishere  
#16 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 2:22:36 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 38
Applause Received: 792

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra Go to Quoted Post
UserPostedImage

One thing I didn't notice right away and makes me really cringe seeing this is how Lacy's legs stay in the same spot and how he sorta goes down like a tree being felled.

As far as his hit on Starks, it's called karma bitch. I can't believe they didn't call anything for the hits on Starks or Lacy yet I've seen them call for flags on textbook, shoulder-to-gut tackles due to the fast nature of the tackled players head going forward and whipping back. I don't normally bitch about refs but what happened here is just so obvious.

Yeah, Lacy's lights definitely went out.
Offline TwinkieGorilla  
#17 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 4:15:20 PM(UTC)
TwinkieGorilla

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 42

I won't lie, when it was him who went down after the SECOND FUCKING TIME he tried to pull that shit, I silently cheered. And cheered. And cheered.
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

Offline Porforis  
#18 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 5:42:12 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

I tried to bring myself to cheer but couldn't. In a perfect world he would be out for three games but have no permanent issues as a result. Idiot, mean-spirited play or not, he doesn't deserve brain damage. Sounds like he's already got some "brainular issues"
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#19 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 6:35:00 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I'm not ever gonna say a word in defense of a player hurting/hitting illegally any Packer player, BUT, face it, at some point, the shoe will be on the other foot. A Packer player will inadvertently/carelessly/maybe even intentionally lead with the head.

I did an experiment this morning - testing a theory - that leading with the head is the more natural movement, and turning the head to the side or raising the chin/bending the back of the neck to hit with the face mask is an unnatural act. I dug out my old blocking dummy from 20 years ago when I coached kids football; I set it up - on a nice soft mattress to save my poor old body, and tried comparatively bending the neck sideways to hit left shoulder first - effect: I landed hard on my right arm and if not for the soft mattress, might have injured my right (off-side) shoulder or collar bone. Plus, it felt damn weird that way. I then tried head on, neck bent back/face making first contact. THAT hurt! Even though the dummy was not planted or held at all, there was stress on the back of my neck - similar to whiplash - to the extent that it was more than a little bit painful. I then did it the way probably we all were taught, the old-fashioned/now illegal and shunned way. I launched myself head and shoulder together first - as much as a 66 year old can launch hahahaha, and no problem at all. Not yet satisfied, I had my wife hold the dummy as we used to do in football practice, and I launched - still no ill effects.

Granted, I did not go head into a hard helmet. I'm sure that would run the risk - RISK, not sure thing - of injury.

Conclusion: Forcing unorthodox or unnatural positions could cause more harm than the good done by encouraging alternatives to leading with the head. I can really see how somebody tackling in what seems to be the instinctive/natural way could meet a runner lowering his head - as we were all also taught to do - and bang, there is helmet to helmet contact.

All these guys can afford fines, but you get into suspensions, and I would like to see proof or strong evidence that the guy was head-hunting - intentionally acting to injure.

This is the problem when they say "leading with the helmet". You want to tackle with your shoulder but the head is attached on top of the shoulders so it is almost always likely to be the first thing to make contact.

If you are head up on your target and go in head up face first, you could injure your neck, and you are more than likely to get run over. You want to have your head to one side or the other. It is like a double leg takedown only around the waist/chest instead of the thighs.

They should just call it what it is, spearing, the key I look for is the arms, if the arms are not in position to attempt a wrap up, they are not trying to tackle.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 9/16/2013(UTC), Wade on 9/18/2013(UTC)
Online wpr  
#20 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 6:59:17 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,745
Applause Received: 1,314

Looks like we will not be satisfied with the League:

Quote:
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Bucs safety Dashon Goldson was suspended one game by the NFL without pay for his hit on New Orleans Saints running back Darren Sproles on Sunday. The league considered it a helmet-to-helmet hit on a defenseless player.

Washington Redskins safety Brandon Meriweather, however, is not expected to be suspended for his Sunday hit on Green Bay Packers running back Eddie Lacy, Rapoport said Monday on NFL Network's "Around the League Live." A fine should be coming. Meriweather hasn't made a similar hit since 2010.

Goldson was suspended largely because this is his fifth such unnecessary-roughness violation since 2011. He can't practice this week or play in the Bucs' game this Sunday against the New England Patriots, and the Tampa Bay Times reported Goldson will miss out on a $264,705 game check.

link has video of Goldson story.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline yooperfan  
#21 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 8:51:47 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 522
Applause Received: 243

I think it's a damn shame that Merriweather won't be suspended.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#22 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 9:03:46 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 224

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
I think it's a damn shame that Merriweather won't be suspended.

Much as I hate Packers taking head shots, I would want to see evidence of intent to injure before suspending somebody. It's INSTINCTIVE to hit that way; It could easily be a Packer doing it at some point - just doing what seems natural in the heat of battle where you react more than you think about it.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline mi_keys  
#23 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 9:32:54 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 198
Applause Received: 339

What a farce. Hasn't had a similar hit since 2010? Absolute bollocks. He has two such hits in the same game. He received a $20K fine in 2011 for a helmet-to-helmet hit. He had two fines in 2010.

Oh, and he was injured and played a whopping 1 game in 2012. So he's not shown any signs of stopping.

He has a history of spearing. Fines have done nothing to stop him. He was being called out by several players in 2010 and 2011. He's made public apologies and gone right back to leading with the crown of his head.

They might as well do this to decide the punishment for personal fouls; it would be just as effective in deterring future head shots:
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#24 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 10:01:46 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Much as I hate Packers taking head shots, I would want to see evidence of intent to injure before suspending somebody. It's INSTINCTIVE to hit that way; It could easily be a Packer doing it at some point - just doing what seems natural in the heat of battle where you react more than you think about it.

If it is his instinct to spear, than that is all the more reason to suspend him. If he had shown any effort to wrap up and tackle I could cut slack, but when a players goes in, arms down and head lowered they are not trying to tackle, they are trying to knock somebody out.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
nerdmann on 9/17/2013(UTC), Wade on 9/18/2013(UTC)
Online wpr  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:34:54 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,745
Applause Received: 1,314

even Goldson's suspension was overturned.

Quote:

Bucs safety Dashon Goldson had his one-game suspension overturned, NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday, according to a league source.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Wade  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:59:21 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 629
Applause Received: 647

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post

They should just call it what it is, spearing, the key I look for is the arms, if the arms are not in position to attempt a wrap up, they are not trying to tackle.

This. Question should be "where are the arms", not "where is the head".

If people taught tackle form and paid attention to what the player is doing with his arms rather than, well, whatever they teach re: tackling, my feeling is that more than 50% of the "head-threatening" plays would disappear. Two reasons: One, arms in proper tackling position (open and in front of shoulders) will make the chest absorb more of the force that "tackling through the ball carrier-style tackling provides, and means the top of shoulders/neck/head getting less of that force. Two, the speed of impact will decrease because arm position is going to slow the forward movement more than arms down/back/spearing will; even if you "launch" you are going to decelerate faster. Three, you're not going to launch as easily -- try launching yourself starting with your arms in front of your shoulders sometime. You're going to look like Ryan Pickett trying to go vertical, I imagine.
None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 9/18/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed