PackersHome name: HoustonMatt
Real name (first only): Matt
Current City: Houston
Hometown: Humble (just NE of Houston)
1) How did you choose your screen name?
Lack of creativity and understanding that using your real name on a website may not be the best idea. I'll probably get around to changing it one day, but I don't really want to register a new account.
2) Could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family?
Grew up in your typical suburban neighborhood just outside of Houston. Dad's a vet. Mom's a teacher. One older sister. Painfully normal or everything you could ask for depending on how you look at it. Although my sister now lives in Dallas, I'm still a 30 minute drive from the folks. Given that our extended family all resides up north, we stay pretty close.
3) Did you play in any sports or where you involved with any High School clubs and such?
I peaked athletically in junior high. In high school I ran track for a couple years, but avoided any extracurricular clubs like the plague.
4) What is your fondest memory of your teenage years?
I don't know that I could pinpoint just one, but I suppose getting your license and a car on your 16th birthday is about as good as any.
5) What was your first job?
First job was as a busboy at Red Lobster. After three months I became a host. First job out of college was working for an IT recruiting firm. Worked that for awhile, didn't like it, so I moved into the marketing position I'm in now. I do a lot of web advertising and PR for a national law firm.
6) What lead to your dedicated following of the Packers?
I've always thought that there's really only two legitimate reasons to like a team.
1) Geographical - you root for the team in which town you were raised or currently live.
2) Hereditary - You root for whichever team your dad liked.
I'm the latter. While I was born in Houston, my dad grew up in North Dakota, and his dad in Wisconsin. The Packer tradition is passed on through the generations.
7) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories of the Packers?
As much as I loved the Superbowl win, I actually might say that the Monday Nighter after Brett's dad died was my favorite memory. The Superbowl was great because my team won, but the Monday Nighter showed me that this was more than just a team to root for. I was emotionally vested in that game and specifically in Brett. The feelings I had that night went beyond typical fandom. For better or worse, that night proved to me that the Packers are more than just an NFL team. They're (including Packer Nation) an extended family.
8 ) How did you find the PackersHome and what keeps you active on the site?
Followed you guys over from the original board. Can't say for sure how I found the original board as that must have been over three years ago. Google would be my guess.
9) What other sports teams do you follow?
MLB - Twins (Braves in the NL)
NBA - Lakers
NCAA - Texas A&M
10) When youre not on PackersHome what could you likely be found doing with your spare time?
Reading. Watching sports. Going out with friends. Perusing the internet.
11) If you could have one moment being part of the Packer organization, what would it be?
Draft room. That should be high paced and extremely interesting.
12) How many trips have you made to Lambeau?
None, but I plan to. I've seen the Packers once in Houston and once in Dallas though.
13) What is your worst fear?
Prison. I watch MSNBC Lockup fairly often and can't imagine the thought of spending any significant amount of my life behind bars. If I ever did something that landed me a prison sentence of 3+ years, I'd seriously consider fleeing the country or offing myself. Sorry for the downer, but it's true.
14) What type of hobbies do you enjoy?
Sports and reading.
15) Whats your favorite food?
If anyone answers this questions with a word other than 'pizza', they're simply not telling the truth. Everyone loves pizza.
16) Where are some of the places youve been, and where are some of your favorites.
I've been to 44 of 50 states, Mexico, Canada, Italy, France, and England. Italy was fantastic, though I was probably a bit too young (14) to fully appreciate it. Domestically, you can't beat NYC, with Chicago being a close 2nd. If I wasn't such a southern boy (ie. I hate cold weather), I'd move to Manahattan tomorrow.
17) What is one thing you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet in your lifetime?
Go to Lambeau. Write a book.
18) If you could live anywhere where would it be?
Again, NYC if I could control the weather. Otherwise, I'm fine here in Houston.
19) Name your favorite 5 Packers all time and explain the reason for one of them.
Donald Driver - Houston kid and his mom and sisters come to Nick's Place most every Sunday during football season. Nick's is a bar on the westside of Houston where about 200 Packer fans meet to watch the games.
20) Up to this date, what is one of your favorite Packer memories?
The Monday Nighter, reason explained above.
21) PM and post the next person to be interviewed.
I don't really care. If you're interested, fill out the questionnaire. If forced to choose, Nonstopdrivel, because we seem to agree on most football related issues and he's a guy of a statistical and well reasoned nature.