Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#16 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2008 1:24:23 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 12,346
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,747
Applause Received: 1,317

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Yep that is exactly how Foster talks.


No you silly fellas, It's how Cheesey talks!

It was babel fish-- I guess we should call it babble fish. Yes, Detlev, your English is outstanding!


I pick on Cheesey all the time. I figured this was a way to pick at some one else. By the way I was refering to how you would speak when you were out all nite with your buddy Gary B. Gary B Story
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline Rockmolder  
#17 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2008 1:46:04 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands
Posts: 6,359
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 147
Applause Received: 237

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

Here is some interesting trivia for you. The Netherlands Carillon is located on the grounds of the U.S. Marine Corps Iwo Jima Memorial, which is considered hallowed ground by all U.S. Marines. This is a set of bells and a tower given to the U.S. in gratitude by the Netherlands.

The U.S. Air Force, also known as REMF wing-wipers (just kidding) attempted to build their own memorial on the grounds of the Iwo Jima memorial... FAIL! U.S. Congress passed a law(Plenty of former Marines in our Congress) that wouldn't allow the wingwiper memorial within SIGHT of the Marine Corps memorial...(How's that for a cool law if you're a jarhead) It has to do with A), the U.S. Marines like the Netherlands Marines, and B), Neither one of them like REMF wing-wipers and told them to stay the hell out of our turf.... symbolic of their REMF status...The Air Force built their memorial just off the grounds of the Iwo Jima Memorial--- You can see it if you climb the Netherlands tower, but no way from the Iwo Jima memorial...

The Netherlands Carillon

USMC War Memorial

...And that Air Force Memorial looks like a giant rendition of the tripping mechanism of a VC bouncing betty... Vikesrule could translate that for you.

Sorry, AirForce-- I can't help it... :icon_smile:

Back to Subject at hand--- From a European viewpoint, American Football:
Link:

BBC EXPLAINS AMERICAN FOOTBALL


Wow, can't believe I never heared of that tower. I don't even think alot of Dutch people know about it, except from the Marines ofcourse. Although I could be wrong in that, ofcourse.

For the BBC link, that's great. It's nearly an entire presentation, although I won't go the cheap way and just throw in some crap myself :p. Explanation of the field maybe, since we don't play any Rugby here either. But that's a very solid base, especially if combined with Cheesey's tips.

Seems kinda weird that they use a 3-4 to explain defensive play though. Always thought 4-3 was the most base defensive formation like the I-Form for the offense.
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#18 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2008 5:22:48 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Posts: 8,552
Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

Rockmolder.......try not to clutter up your presentation with too many details if your class has no understanding of American football. Too much info will lose them.



Just pretend you are trying to explain football to a bunch of Vikings fans.
LOL!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#19 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2008 5:24:12 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Posts: 8,552
Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Detlev---

What Cheesey meant to say, was:

Het doel van het team met de voetbal is onderaan gebied en score 6 te gaan punten door andere team' te kruisen; s doellijn. Als u het doet, krijgt u om voor een " te proberen; extra" punt door de voetbal door een reeks rechte polen met een dwarsbar te schoppen. Het doel van het andere team is het team met de voetbal tegen te houden van het noteren. Het team met de bal krijgt 4 kansen te gaan 10 yards. Als zij de 10 yards maken zij een verse reeks van 4 verslaan krijgen om nog eens 10 yards te maken. Als zij don' t maakt de 10 yards in hun eerste 3 verslaat, kunnen zij voor het op vierde dalen. Maar als zij don' t maakt het, geven zij het andere team de voetbal waar het zit. Zo kunnen zij (schop) de voetbal op vierde wegschoppen neer, krijgend het uit hun grondgebied. Het team met de bal kan ook voor een doel van het 3 puntgebied proberen als denk hun kicker de voetbal door de posten van de vlek kan schoppen zij op het gebied zijn. Nochtans, als kicker de schop mist, krijgt het andere team de voetbal bij de vlek kicker de bal van schopte. Dat vat vrij veel de grondbeginselen samen die ik heb gedacht. Hoop die helpt!


Good job, Cheesey!

:thumbleft:

Did i really say all that???
Well then......"Hoop dee doo to you too!!!" :thumbleft: LOLOL!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#20 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2008 5:25:34 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Posts: 8,552
Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Yep that is exactly how Foster talks.


No you silly fellas, It's how Cheesey talks!

It was babel fish-- I guess we should call it babble fish. Yes, Detlev, your English is outstanding!


I pick on Cheesey all the time.

I keep telling you.........if you don't stop picking on me, I'll never heal!!! :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#21 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2008 6:23:45 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 12,346
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,747
Applause Received: 1,317

UserPostedImage
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Online MontanaBob  
#22 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2008 7:33:34 PM(UTC)
MontanaBob

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Posts: 719
Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)
Location: near Missoula Montana

Applause Received: 52

Ok Rockmolder....try this. And I'm speaking as a retired Physical Education teacher and football player. (yes, wise-asses, punters and holders are considered players..until we screw up.)

Divide the class up into two teams. Give one team a football, Futbol, eraser, wad of paper or whatever, and tell them they have to get that whatever across a line on the other side of the room. The team without the whatever has to try to stop them in any manner they can, and get the person with the ball down on the floor.

After the player with the whatever is "down" on the floor, everyone gets up, chest thumps themselves several times and slaps others butts, (really cool if there are girls in the class), and the team with the whatever tries again. (the girls might start to get "mean" after awhile and slap back, but hey, that's part of the game.

If, after 4 tries to get across the room, the team with the whatever fails to get there, the other team then gets to try. This results in more chest thumping and butt slapping.

One caution: move any tables and chairs/desks, etc out of the way. It would be ugly if some guy in the open, running for a "touchdown" fell over a wastebasket or chair. He wouldn't get to chest thump or slap butts, but instead would hear the wrath of the coach. And if it's Vince Lombardi, you DON'T want to be around to hear it.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
Offline Rockmolder  
#23 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2008 7:48:32 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands
Posts: 6,359
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 147
Applause Received: 237

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Ok Rockmolder....try this. And I'm speaking as a retired Physical Education teacher and football player. (yes, wise-asses, punters and holders are considered players..until we screw up.)

Divide the class up into two teams. Give one team a football, Futbol, eraser, wad of paper or whatever, and tell them they have to get that whatever across a line on the other side of the room. The team without the whatever has to try to stop them in any manner they can, and get the person with the ball down on the floor.

After the player with the whatever is "down" on the floor, everyone gets up, chest thumps themselves several times and slaps others butts, (really cool if there are girls in the class), and the team with the whatever tries again. (the girls might start to get "mean" after awhile and slap back, but hey, that's part of the game.

If, after 4 tries to get across the room, the team with the whatever fails to get there, the other team then gets to try. This results in more chest thumping and butt slapping.

One caution: move any tables and chairs/desks, etc out of the way. It would be ugly if some guy in the open, running for a "touchdown" fell over a wastebasket or chair. He wouldn't get to chest thump or slap butts, but instead would hear the wrath of the coach. And if it's Vince Lombardi, you DON'T want to be around to hear it.


Haha, I wish I could do that. It's in a presentation room with mounted seats and tables and the floor isn't flat.

http://www.ubboemmius.nl...album=3923&foto_nr=7

Furthermore, it's for English, which means that they're gonna grade me on my English, my presentation (How clear it is, if you can keep your crowd amused etc.) and my... stance with a better lack of better words.

I like all these ideas, and especially this one would be great :p... At least we're doing some rugby at PE next week, so we're getting somewhat closer.
UserPostedImage
Offline dhazer  
#24 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2008 8:59:29 PM(UTC)
dhazer

Rank: Pro Bowl

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Posts: 3,897
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 190

Rock why don't you use powerpoint and do side by side comparisons to maybe soccer. Just an idea but it might work using a sport they are familiar with and show the differences
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline Rockmolder  
#25 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2008 9:04:48 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands
Posts: 6,359
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 147
Applause Received: 237

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Rock why don't you use powerpoint and do side by side comparisons to maybe soccer. Just an idea but it might work using a sport they are familiar with and show the differences


I tried to do something like that last year, but the similarities pretty much stop after talking about the field... and maybe that both sports need a ball to be played. I'd show you my presentation from last year if I knew how to upload the thing somewhere, it's nothing really fancy.

Just in general, I want to thank you about for all the help you're giving. I was a little sceptic about posting something like this on a Packers forum, maybe getting it locked up or some bad comments, but you've been great. Thanks alot.
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#26 Posted : Saturday, December 6, 2008 8:40:58 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Posts: 8,552
Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
UserPostedImage

I'm sure glad you caught what i meant!

Great minds think alike!!! :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
Offline Rockmolder  
#27 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 2:24:30 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands
Posts: 6,359
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 147
Applause Received: 237

Just remember asking you guys for some pointers for my presentation. I thought some of you might want to know how it turned out.

The grade I got was a 7, I think that would be a C+ to a B-. It's ok, but not great.

The thing I was most afraid of happened yet again. None of them actually knew what I was talking about. Maybe because of my presentation being not to great or maybe because of the lack of interest, I don't know.

I told them they could ask question during the presentation, because I knew how confusing it could be. The only questions I got however where how much centimeters go into a yard and after the presentation was finished someone asked me what the difference was between rugby and football. I think those questions pretty much tell the whole story.

I tried to just explain the game in the first part and do some narration of some video in the next part. Video would make it easier, I thought. The funny thing is though, all the first plays on the highlight reel I selected where kind of weird. The first one was Grant bobbling the ball and fumbling, the second was a 1 yard TD run, the next was another fumble by Grant. I kinda gave up and stopped it there. :p

At least they thought the annoucer was funny when I showed them the Blackmon punt return movie....
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#28 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 2:45:44 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 12,346
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,747
Applause Received: 1,317

Hey you gave it a try. That is worth an 8 in my book.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline Cheesey  
#29 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 7:36:40 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Posts: 8,552
Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Just remember asking you guys for some pointers for my presentation. I thought some of you might want to know how it turned out.

The grade I got was a 7, I think that would be a C+ to a B-. It's ok, but not great.

The thing I was most afraid of happened yet again. None of them actually knew what I was talking about. Maybe because of my presentation being not to great or maybe because of the lack of interest, I don't know.

I told them they could ask question during the presentation, because I knew how confusing it could be. The only questions I got however where how much centimeters go into a yard and after the presentation was finished someone asked me what the difference was between rugby and football. I think those questions pretty much tell the whole story.

I tried to just explain the game in the first part and do some narration of some video in the next part. Video would make it easier, I thought. The funny thing is though, all the first plays on the highlight reel I selected where kind of weird. The first one was Grant bobbling the ball and fumbling, the second was a 1 yard TD run, the next was another fumble by Grant. I kinda gave up and stopped it there. :p

At least they thought the annoucer was funny when I showed them the Blackmon punt return movie....

I was wondering how it would turn out.
I don't know, maybe you tried to give too much detail. You understand football, so for you the basics are probably boring. But for someone that has NO idea of what's going on, too much info can make them get confused, then lose interest.
But hey.....you didn't fail, right? :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
Offline Rockmolder  
#30 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 8:58:14 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands
Posts: 6,359
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 147
Applause Received: 237

That was why I was telling them they could ask questions and I tried to keep it as simple as I could.

I would upload the PowerPoint but it's to big.

Anyway, this wasn't meant as a moan thread anyway. I wanted to thank you all for helping me with this. I didn't fail, like you said Cheesey, and at least I convinced them that Football is better Rugby. They thought the forward pass was pretty neat. :p
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages<123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Recent Topics
57m / Green Bay Packers Talk / uffda udfa

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Dexter_Sinister

4h / Announcements / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / 68md

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / warhawk

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

10h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / QCHuskerFan

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / StarrMax1

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / CaliforniaCheez

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DakotaT

28-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.