Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline RaiderPride  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 4:30:11 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 97
Applause Received: 187

100- 0 Basketball win gets coach fired.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,482825,00.html

R.P.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Sponsor
Offline JNelson87  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 4:50:46 PM(UTC)
JNelson87

Wow. Talk about running up the score. The opposing team couldnt even put up a point!? Thats pathetic. As is the firing.
UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 4:53:36 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 366

The losing team's school specializes in "disadvantaged" kids. This should be factored in when contemplating equity.
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline Pack93z  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 4:55:31 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,020

Well, in my opinion, there is a little more at play here.

The opposing team, is a school for mentally challenged kids, as noted in the article.

But regardless, I would have a problem with any team doing this sort of thing, especially in high school.

Win, but have some common class doing it. I see no possible excuse for a team to continue to run a full court press into the fourth quarter.

Maybe I am different, but sportsmanship and class count for something in my book. If I ran the school, I very likely would have done the same thing.. I want a school that I am part of the represent the basic codes in sports..
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 4:59:23 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

I don't know anything about it other than what is posted and linked, but it would appear that the game should have never occurred in the first place.
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline JNelson87  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 5:02:06 PM(UTC)
JNelson87

Oh damn, I must have overlooked that statement about the opposing kids bein mentally challenged.. My bad.. I don't understand how there is no mercy rule though, they say they had the golden rule but they didnt enforce it? I think your bball team woulda gotten the point at halftime and they still would have kept their pride.
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 5:02:41 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

The school teaches kids with Dyslexia and learning disorders. It is a far cry from mentally challenged.

Besides the coach changed strategies, and stopped its full court press when up 20-0 in the first qtr, then proceeded to play his entire team. Later going to shooting 3 pointers (30% success rate).

The problem here is that somebody scheduled a team that hasn't won in 4 years, with a team that challenged for the state title the year before.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 5:06:21 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

I SPECULATE that a Christian school playing a "special" academy might have had other objectives than crushing their opponent 100-0. Again, my speculation.

Overview of Dallas Academy
UserPostedImage

Offline Blitz  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 5:20:03 PM(UTC)
Blitz

Applause Given: 7
Applause Received: 16

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
The school teaches kids with Dyslexia...

So they think they only lost 001-0?
I'm just keeding.
:whipitgood: :pottytrain2:
blank
Offline RaiderPride  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 5:24:10 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 97
Applause Received: 187

The school teaches kids with Dyslexia and learning disorders. It is a far cry from mentally challenged.

If those kids do indeed have dyslexia, well, then to them the score might read 001 - 0. That is not so bad for their self asteem.

Serious.... Now.

My brother use to feel the same way as me when I thought kids should be able to score as often as they can. However his veiw changed when his little boy began to play hockey here in Canada.

They have a rule here (7 Year Olds.)

There is a five-goal spread rule where the margin on the score clock does not surpass five.

There is also a three-goal-per player rule, where a player is capped at a hat trick in a game. He can keep scoring, but they will not count in the score.

From my brother's perspective, this is good in that it invokes a message of teamwork and encourages players to pass the puck more (at this age, getting players to pass the puck is the most difficult thing to do as they all want to be Sidney Crosby).

R.P.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Offline JNelson87  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 5:57:45 PM(UTC)
JNelson87

The school teaches kids with Dyslexia and

The problem here is that somebody scheduled a team that hasn't won in 4 years, with a team that challenged for the state title the year before.

In that case, somebody should have expected this to happen. They should have never put those two teams against eachother, unless of course they had no choice If you're up by a large amount at halftime, it's almost instinct to play the score and not go out there to embarrass the opposing team(which I don't think was their intention). But by goin out there in the 2nd half and start draining 3's like you were down by 60 is wrong.
UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#12 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 6:00:59 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Has anybody ever seen the movie, "Let it ride"?

My buddy and I started out (bored) watching the "Kick-off Classic", I think it was the inaugural one, (1983). He is from Williamsport, PA. BIG Penn State fan. ME? I didn't give a damn about college football, but, like I said, we were bored. We bet each other 50 bucks (with the spread). He had Penn State, I had Nebraska. Penn State was favored :thumbleft:

Nebraska 44-6 I'm up 50. He had a bookie, I had 50 dollars in found money. I "let it ride." Next week- Wyoming 56-20. up 100. Next week Minnesota 84-13 Up 200. Next week UCLA 42-10 Up 400. Next week Syracuse 63-7 Up 800. (NOW I'm getting nervous, lol) I bail for the next week, Nebraska wins again 14-10 BUT DOES NOT COVER, but I'm out lol.
I get back in next week, because due to the closeness of the previous week, the line is not so obscene. 34-13 (Missouri I think) UP 1600. I bail for a couple weeks, contemplate my next move, wait until Kansas, and get GREEDY. There is a prop bet on (Mike?) Rozier. You should know that Nebraska is averaging about 50+ points a game and 400 yards RUSHING per game. Teams do not want to play them in their own stadiums, because that means that Osborne did not bring his 4th string on the road trip, as contrasted to throwing them in when at home. THAT is how good Nebraska was that year.

ANYWAY, the prop bet is this... Over/Under Rozier, 1st HALF, 200 yards rushing, 3-1. I put 800 on the game itself, and 800 on the + prop bet. Rozier rushed for 230 yards in the half, and the Cornhuskers beat Kansas 67-13 (btw, to put this in perspective, my recollection was the "line" was 49 points)

4800.00 from sitting in a bar, bored, with a Penn State fan.

I still like Nebraska.

Sorry to go off-topic, but this thread reminded me of when ass-whippings are a good thing.
UserPostedImage

Offline Cheesey  
#13 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 6:07:28 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

All it is is a case of poor sportsmanship.
A "Christian" school coach should know better then that.
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#14 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 6:07:33 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

The school teaches kids with Dyslexia and

In that case, somebody should have expected this to happen. They should have never put those two teams against eachother, unless of course they had no choice If you're up by a large amount at halftime, it's almost instinct to play the score and not go out there to embarrass the opposing team(which I don't think was their intention). But by goin out there in the 2nd half and start draining 3's like you were down by 60 is wrong.

for girls HS BBall, scoring 3's is a lower probability than for boys. I don't know if it has been posted but here is the scoring by qtr.

35, 24, 29, 12

My question is, it the team has its worst players on the court, and are still mopping the floor with them, what else are they to do. Going outside and using the time to improve their outside shooting isn't a bad idea. Better than getting close and having a better chance of scoring. At least with the 3s the other team has a chance to get more rebounds.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 6:27:30 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,833
Applause Received: 1,990

Those kids battled their ass off for their coach, only to see him get canned. That sends a great message. Yes kids, work hard for me, do very well and I'll lose my job because I didn't throttle you kids back from having fun.

The shooting 3 pointers at the fourth quarter, if that's by the starters, I disagree, but if it was being done by 2nd, 3rd and so forth stringers. I see no problem with it.

You play to win the game. They had the game won, and if it was the bench players tallying it up, get over it.

What do we tell our kids? IT IS JUST A GAME! Now someone lost their job over something that, is JUST A GAME.

Very hypocritical in my opinion. I haven't thought much about this though, that's just my first impression of this story.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Rss Feed