Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Greg C.  
#26 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2008 8:20:54 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 8/9/2008(UTC)
Location: Marquette, Michigan

Applause Received: 48

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Bush, Peprah and Tracey White were kept for special teams purposes. Yeah they can do other things but they make up core players of the Packers special teams which was really good last year so I think that went into the thinking.

That has to be the main reason why Herron and Hodge as well aren't Packers any longer.

I'm more intrested in why Breno made the roster and not the practice squad.


I think if Orrin Thompson had a halfway decent camp, he would've made the roster and Breno would be on the practice squad where he really belongs. Breno may be the least NFL ready player on the roster.

You're right about the special teams, and I do like Thompson's approach. Sherman always seemed to want to improve the special teams on the cheap, thinking he and his staff could "coach up" players who just weren't very good at it. But Thompson thinks that good special teams play requires special talents, and he makes an effort to get those kinds of players and hang onto them.
blank
Offline wpr  
#27 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2008 11:11:26 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,153
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
wpr:

Thanks for the depth chart. It sounds right to me for the most part. Here are a few exceptions:

1. Spitz should probably be ahead of Colledge. When Sitton was healthy, they shifted Spitz over to the left side to take Colledge's place. That could still happen when Sitton returns.

2. Chillar is probably still ahead of Bishop and Hodge because of his experience, even though both of them outplayed him in the preseason. And personally I would put Bishop ahead of Hodge because I think he's a little more versatile. Hodge is a beast at the line of scrimmage, but I don't know that he can do much in coverage.

3. Bush is almost certainly ahead of Pat Lee. As bad as Bush looked in coverage in the preseason, Lee looked worse, so I don't think they would throw him out there ahead of Bush. Also, Bush will be more likely to make the game day roster because he is a very good special teams player. But Lee has a lot of potential, so he could move ahead of Bush as the season progresses.


I can accept those changes Greg.
I considered where to place Spitz. The line and depth chart will be different when Sitton returns.
I moved Hodge and Bishop up because of their great camps. It is hard to factor special teams play into a depth chart. But since they cut Hodge you were right.
I figured Bush would be the one who was cut when they picked up a LS. I was wrong there too. Darn Ted Thompson making me look bad.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline wpr  
#28 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2008 11:20:13 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,153
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Bush, Peprah and Tracey White were kept for special teams purposes. Yeah they can do other things but they make up core players of the Packers special teams which was really good last year so I think that went into the thinking.

That has to be the main reason why Herron and Hodge as well aren't Packers any longer.

I'm more intrested in why Breno made the roster and not the practice squad.


I think if Orrin Thompson had a halfway decent camp, he would've made the roster and Breno would be on the practice squad where he really belongs. Breno may be the least NFL ready player on the roster.

You're right about the special teams, and I do like Thompson's approach. Sherman always seemed to want to improve the special teams on the cheap, thinking he and his staff could "coach up" players who just weren't very good at it. But Thompson thinks that good special teams play requires special talents, and he makes an effort to get those kinds of players and hang onto them.


I think Breno is who they want at tackle in 2-3 years. They have the cap room and are willing to wait for him to develop. If he was on the PS it is possible for someone to snatch him. Since no one (Orrin T) stepped up and took the slot from him, he got it by default. I am sure, barring injuries, he will be inactive on game day most of the time.

It is interesting that Ted Thompson finds the players who excel on special teams and he puts them on his roster while Sherman seemingly just stuck any old body out there and yet it is Ted Thompson that has the cap room not MS. Better quality players don't always have to cost more money. Hmmmm.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline bozz_2006  
#29 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2008 11:32:04 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 7/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Better quality players don't always have to cost more money. Hmmmm.


simply put, that line of thinking is Un-American!
UserPostedImage
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#30 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2008 11:33:21 PM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 86

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I'm more intrested in why Breno made the roster and not the practice squad.



I think the main reason for Breno making the squad is the same reason that we didn't pick up any DTs from the players released by other teams.

That reason is: big players are hot commodities in the NFL, very rare to find. Breno has size, and his footwork hasn't seemed below average. Those two things would've led some team to take a chance on him. Or that's what Ted felt. Considering the Bears and Vikings are both in division and in need to Ts, I don't think Ted wanted to risk the chance that either team get a hand on one of his players that still has a lot of room to grow.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#31 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2008 11:35:41 PM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 86

As for Bush, I wonder if the Packers think they've invested too much time in him to give up on him now.

That's pretty much the only reason I think Bush and Peprah are on this team. Heck Peprah has flunked the "availability" portion of coach McCarthy's "accountability and availability" mantra.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Offline wpr  
#32 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2008 11:47:24 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,153
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Better quality players don't always have to cost more money. Hmmmm.


simply put, that line of thinking is Un-American!

No Sir it is Un-Union not Un- American. ::razz:
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline Zero2Cool  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2008 12:08:26 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,969
Applause Received: 2,231

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
As for Bush, I wonder if the Packers think they've invested too much time in him to give up on him now.

That's pretty much the only reason I think Bush and Peprah are on this team. Heck Peprah has flunked the "availability" portion of coach McCarthy's "accountability and availability" mantra.


I'm not sure I follow ya here. They picked Jarret Bush off the Panthers cut heap or practice squad... I think?

I think we drafted a dude, Cory Rodgers, in the 5th and we cut him before he played a down in the NFL.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2008 12:18:02 AM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 86

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
As for Bush, I wonder if the Packers think they've invested too much time in him to give up on him now.

That's pretty much the only reason I think Bush and Peprah are on this team. Heck Peprah has flunked the "availability" portion of coach McCarthy's "accountability and availability" mantra.


I'm not sure I follow ya here. They picked Jarret Bush off the Panthers cut heap or practice squad... I think?


Yeah, off the Panthers cut heap.

What I mean is that I think with all the time the coaches have invested in Bush, teaching him things like jamming the receiver at the line, other fundamentals, the coaches/Ted might be a little hesitant to give up on Bush who is entering his third year.

Same thing goes with Peprah. Both Bush and Peprah were raw when they came in, and after the coaches have spent so much time trying to polish these guys, they don't want to risk having someone else bear the fruits of their labour.

Basically they don't want to cut these guys before they are sure they can't contribute significantly. Or perhaps the better word would be that the Packer personnel people are 'hesitant' to release players that they think can still grow/develop more.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2008 12:19:50 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,969
Applause Received: 2,231

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
As for Bush, I wonder if the Packers think they've invested too much time in him to give up on him now.

That's pretty much the only reason I think Bush and Peprah are on this team. Heck Peprah has flunked the "availability" portion of coach McCarthy's "accountability and availability" mantra.


I'm not sure I follow ya here. They picked Jarret Bush off the Panthers cut heap or practice squad... I think?


Yeah, off the Panthers cut heap.

What I mean is that I think with all the time the coaches have invested in Bush, teaching him things like jamming the receiver at the line, other fundamentals, the coaches/Ted might be a little hesitant to give up on Bush who is entering his third year.

Same thing goes with Peprah. Both Bush and Peprah were raw when they came in, and after the coaches have spent so much time trying to polish these guys, they don't want to risk having someone else bear the fruits of their labour.

Basically they don't want to cut these guys before they are sure they can't contribute significantly. Or perhaps the better word would be that the Packer personnel people are 'hesitant' to release players that they can't be sure won't grow/develop any more.


Ahh okay. I disagree with that theory. :) Nothing more to add. It's bed time for me lol
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2008 2:17:56 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post


Bush, Peprah and Tracey White were kept for special teams purposes. Yeah they can do other things but they make up core players of the Packers special teams which was really good last year so I think that went into the thinking.

That has to be the main reason why Herron and Hodge as well aren't Packers any longer.

I'm more intrested in why Breno made the roster and not the practice squad.


Porky - Ah, didn't think of that.
Good reasoning. I remember in '07, we were taking our STs more seriously and that was a good thing.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages<12
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
14m / Green Bay Packers Talk / macbob

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

28-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / stevegb

28-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / rabidgopher04

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann