Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Greg C.  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:01:31 AM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

What will the Packers' record be this year and why? And if they make the playoffs, how far will they go?
blank
Sponsor
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:14:46 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,022

Well if the preseason under our belts, I think a couple of things stand out.

1. Rodgers will do fine at QB, sure there will be growing pains, but in the end he will get the job done. If he goes down with injury or the aforementioned prediction fails to hold true.. then I think it is going to be a long season. Backups could flop or shine.. but we won't know that until the lights go on.

2. The unit the I felt the most comfortable in the offseason about, seems to be one of two of my biggest concerns currently.. more so with depth questions surrounding the DL and CB positions. Especially Dline. If we don't get healthy soon, it could be a year of challenge of looking under every stone for a couple of guys to step in on the line. But in the end, I have faith in the return of KGB and Pickett, and I honestly think Harrell will be able to help us the second half.

3. That second concern mentioned above.. OLine. Here I don't have as much comfort that it will become consistent yet this year. We will once again shuffle guys around on the interior and we have razor thin depth at Tackle. When Moll and Colledge are your primary depth guys at Tackle.. it isn't a pretty picture. Neither has become consistent with their play to date.. Colledge seems to have regressed if anything. This will be our trouble spot yet again.

4. I think the schedule is a little tougher on paper going into this year vs last.. but every schedule is full of teams that can play and I discount that a bit.

So in the end, I don't think we match last seasons record but in the end we should be a playoff team if we can stay fairly healthy. 10-6 or so.. But still be very solid team overall, we should challenge in the playoffs.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:23:45 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,842
Applause Received: 1,997

What ya got against this thread?
http://packershome.com/i...ile=viewtopic&t=1374

Hmm? :)

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Greg C.  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:34:31 AM(UTC)
Greg C.

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

I looked around and couldn't find a thread on this topic. I forgot about that one. I never make predictions until after the preseason is over anyway.
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:35:43 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,022

More the why then the plain prediction.. both will be pulled up for future reference I am sure.. the real difference I hope is in the why explanations.

Add to it.. it wasn't start by some gent named Slic.. errr... Zero2Cool. :lol:
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline digsthepack  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 9:17:54 AM(UTC)
digsthepack

Applause Received: 7

10-6; make the playoffs and see where it goes.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
Offline Cheesey  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 9:22:46 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

11-6, and.........SUPER BOWL BABY!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 9:38:31 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,842
Applause Received: 1,997

I looked around and couldn't find a thread on this topic. I forgot about that one. I never make predictions until after the preseason is over anyway.

That's cool bud, I was jus giving ya little hard time :) I like your thread because it asks the why, not just straight up predictions.

Good stuff!

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline IronMan  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 9:46:38 AM(UTC)
IronMan

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 14
Applause Received: 53

19-0
Offline bozz_2006  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 11:21:19 AM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 11

11-5. i won't make a playoff prediction.... too many variables. i think we have the talent to go deep into the playoffs, but who knows if we'll be able to put it all together this season.
UserPostedImage
Offline McPack  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 11:59:28 AM(UTC)
McPack

Applause Received: 1

10 - 6 and we win the North. That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it:).
blank
Offline nathaniel  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 12:08:35 PM(UTC)
nathaniel

My gut says 9-7, but I'm gonna use a little bit of Packer bias and push that up to 10-6.

I think I personally have been suffering from a bit of overconfidence in Rodgers lately. The kid has looked good this preseason, and he's got the skills, but the closer we've gotten to the regular season, the more worried I've become. Call it opening day jitters. That's why 9-7 feels right, but I think 10-6 is very possible. Depends on the o-line and the DBs. The o-line needs to give Rodgers the time he needs, and the DBs need to not give up the huge plays we tend to allow too often. I think we're very solid at LB and WR. Still a little worried about the RB position. Can Grant give us a full year of what he did the end of last season?
blank
Offline TheEngineer  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 12:39:50 PM(UTC)
TheEngineer

At the start of the offseason I thought 8-8 or 9-7.

I'll be optimistic and pump it up to 9-7 or 10-6 because Rodgers has shown some good flashes, so I guess I'm with nathaniel above.
blank
Offline HoustonMatt  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 12:47:29 PM(UTC)
HoustonMatt

I'll say 10-6 as well. Without saying who we beat and lose to specifically, let me say this.

We go 5-5 in these these games:

Vs Minnesota
Vs Dallas
At Tampa
At Seattle
Vs Indy
At Tennessee
At Minnesota
At New Orleans
At Jacksonville
At Chicago

And 5-1 in these games:

At Detroit
Vs Atlanta
Vs Chicago
Vs Carolina
Vs Detroit
Vs Houston

If I were to adjust the win total by one game, I'd be more inclined to say we finish with 11 wins rather than 9. In fact, I'd maybe even say 12 is more likely than 9.

I think this team can be every bit as good as last year's team, but the schedule is much more difficult this time around. My biggest, and possibly only concern, is the lack of depth on the line (Offense and Defense). My hope is that teams bring a lot of blitzes in the first few games and get burned for it by the Big 5. However, if they get at Rodgers, he'll likely be seeing it all season long. How the O-line handles it could be the most critical part of this season.
blank
Offline Greg C.  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 12:47:42 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

I'm saying 11-5, and here's why:

Rodgers will be about as good as Favre, and the rest of the lineup is virtually identical to last year's. I think they will fall back a little from 13-3 because a lot of things went right for them last year (that win against Philly, for one thing), and the schedule should be tougher this year, as they are matched up against the AFC South, and the NFC North will probably be tougher as well.

I do have some worries about the offensive line, of course, but the way I look at is is that because the other players on offense are so good, the line only has to be average. And with virtually the same personnel as last year, I see no reason why they can't be just as good as they were last year.

On defense, the line is a concern, but Pickett did not play in the preseason and KGB barely played either. Both those guys are important to our defense's success. I think the defense is stronger at the backup positions, as players like Bishop, Rouse, and Tramon Williams are more seasoned. Plus, they will be most likely blitzing and mixing up coverages more than they did last year. We got a taste of that in the last preseason game.

On special teams, the kicker and punter should be about as good as last year, and there is a good chance that the return game will be improved.

Bottom line: THIS IS A GOOD TEAM, FOLKS.

It's hard to predict the playoffs, but I'm saying they win the division without earning a bye, then they beat everyone and win the Super Bowl. Why not?
blank
Rss Feed