Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 12:59:02 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 382
Applause Received: 1,027

Is it the play of the interior offensive line?

Our Defensive front against the running game?

Rattling TJ?

Will it come down to the special teams and our recent changes?

Or is the media on to something.. is the key Rodgers poise and composure under the pressure?

Your thoughts on the key to winning this opening game.

My thoughts are pretty straightforward on this matchup, if we can handle the point of attack on our defensive front verse their offensive line, I think we win this game going away early. That is not meant as disrespect towards the Viking team, but if we make them throw the ball early in this game, it bodes very well for us.

I am concerned with our interior line.. but in a defensive battle, I like the balance of our offense opposed to theirs. I just hope Rodgers is still walking after the final whistle.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline digsthepack  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 1:04:13 PM(UTC)
digsthepack

Applause Received: 7

How our makeshift OL holds up, and how muc pressure we get on Jackson.

I do imagine that we will be pretty pass happy to set up the run as opposed to the other way around. Don't see us getting too blitz happy as AP is so talented he can really make you pay if they pick it up, or change out of the called play to exploit the blitz.

Bottom line, it is how our lines perform.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
Offline tromadz  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 1:09:53 PM(UTC)
tromadz

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 34

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

makeshift?

This version of the oline probably had more reps as a group than the 'projected starting group' did. Once again I think I'm in the minority in thinking the oline isnt a weakness.

I also have to disagree with you about Jackson. He doesn't scare me. Either he holds it and gets killed or throws it and gets it picked off. Either one is fine with me.

Trom's 3 keys to victory:

1. Stop Adrian Peterson.
2. Since you can't stop him, contain Adrian Peterson.
3. Since you can't contain him, outscore the bastards. Go Offense!
Offline WhiskeySam  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 1:17:44 PM(UTC)
WhiskeySam

Applause Received: 1

I do imagine that we will be pretty pass happy to set up the run as opposed to the other way around. Don't see us getting too blitz happy as AP is so talented he can really make you pay if they pick it up, or change out of the called play to exploit the blitz.

Bottom line, it is how our lines perform.

I agree. Bad O-line play will mean a long day for Rodgers on his back. Bad D-line play means watching Peterson run it down our throats. Both lines are critical.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Offline bigfog  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 1:17:55 PM(UTC)
bigfog

8 in the box, make Tavaris Jackson beat you.

Offensively, attack the secondary with slants all night long.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
Offline TengoJuego  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 1:26:39 PM(UTC)
TengoJuego

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2010

United States

Applause Given: 6

8 in the box, make Tavaris Jackson beat you.

Offensively, attack the secondary with slants all night long.

YES, YES, and YES!
Not just AP, Chester is just as capable. The run game must be stopped. And TJ cant beat us. Those two things are crucial. And our O-line could also be very vital. PROTECT Aaron is priority number 1. And create lanes for Ryan.

I don't want to see TJ running around too much either. Our LBS need to contain him, keep him from running for those 3-6 yards scampers.
Offline dfosterf  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 2:08:46 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 174
Applause Received: 392

Well, I don't know if we are GOING to win, but I sure as hell HOPE we do, because I just raised a whole lotta ruckus over at that purple board. If you are a visitor to the board to which I refer, I kindly direct your attention to the Trash the Pack thread. These boys are takin' things personal! I forgot to mention my level of concern to them as regards our chances...
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline twebdonny  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 2:17:08 PM(UTC)
twebdonny

Up the gut, smashmouth, hard running is the key to winning this game.

DJ
Offline bigfog  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 2:40:47 PM(UTC)
bigfog

Up the gut, smashmouth, hard running is the key to winning this game.

DJ

I'm not so sure. Why play directly to their strengths? There's no denying that the two monsters up front will clog running lanes all day for Grant and Jackson.

Besides, Minnesota is going to do the exact thing I suggested on defense - put 8 men in the box and make Rodgers beat them. Running right into that is a recipe for three and out city I'm afraid.

Green Bay has the best wide receiving core in the NFL. Minnesota has a poor secondary. Sometimes, it's just that easy.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
Offline gopackgo  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 2:41:43 PM(UTC)
gopackgo

Having the O-line provide enough protection for Rodgers to throw the deep ball. With Madieu Williams out, Rodgers can take advantage of throwing the deep ball over the middle when he gets the chance. Rodgers also needs a quick release, because you know the Vikings are going to throw everything they have at him.

Obviously, stop AP. Jackson will not beat us with his arm. Pickett and Jolly really need to solidify the interior of the line to make AP bounce outside.

Jenkins and KGB need to take advantage of McKinnie's suspension and school the poor guy.

Also, scoring more points would be good.
blank
Offline zombieslayer  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 3:03:20 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

makeshift?

This version of the oline probably had more reps as a group than the 'projected starting group' did. Once again I think I'm in the minority in thinking the oline isnt a weakness.

I also have to disagree with you about Jackson. He doesn't scare me. Either he holds it and gets killed or throws it and gets it picked off. Either one is fine with me.

Trom's 3 keys to victory:

1. Stop Adrian Peterson.
2. Since you can't stop him, contain Adrian Peterson.
3. Since you can't contain him, outscore the bastards. Go Offense!

I completely disagree with the OL. It is a problem. Not thinking it isn't a problem doesn't solve it not being a problem. That's called denial.

Now, this is how you beat the Vikes. Note that it's exactly the same way to beat the Vikes as it was in '07.

We keep AP off the field. We open up the passing game. Get a rhythm. Yes, our OL is weak. Yes, their DL is good. But you do three steps back and release all day long. Don't give them time to think. Throw screens. Throw short slants. Throw 70% of the time, but get the ball off asap.

Score early and often. Childress will panic and put the ball in Tarvaris' hands. Then the game is ours.
Mike McCarthy will do that. Watch.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Online bozz_2006  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 3:13:38 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 11

i think the OL is a problem insofar as it was a problem before Wells got hurt. One hurt guy out of the group can't completely derail the whole group. i agree with Trom that, in week one, we'd be about equal with or without Wells, because of all the time he's missed in preseason. I say the OL is a problem, but i don't think it would cease to be a problem if Wells were strarting this week.
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 3:26:50 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

i think the OL is a problem insofar as it was a problem before Wells got hurt. One hurt guy out of the group can't completely derail the whole group. i agree with Trom that, in week one, we'd be about equal with or without Wells, because of all the time he's missed in preseason. I say the OL is a problem, but i don't think it would cease to be a problem if Wells were strarting this week.

Mike McCarthy will gameplan accordingly. We will have to be faster paced and won't be able to do the 5 step drops so much. Aaron Rodgers 's release will have to be faster and we won't have as many runs up the middle.

Don't worry though, there are still holes to exploit and if it comes down to a battle of wits between coaches, the game is ours.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Cheesey  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 3:46:30 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 353

True Zombie...........if it's left up to "Mr. Burns" or MM, we will destroy them.
UserPostedImage
Offline TengoJuego  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 4:50:22 PM(UTC)
TengoJuego

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2010

United States

Applause Given: 6

Stopping their running game will be crucial. It wont be the deciding factor. But if we eliminate it, we have nearly a guaranteed victory.

Our O-line situation is what I'm worried most about. I hope that come gameday, they out play themselves and just surprise the hell out of everyone. Ryan also concerns me, he hasn't played at game speed since the NFC ship. But Gregorious is who I think will spark our Offense. One of those quick slants is going to the house.

All in all, I'm very optimistic. I don't even worry about our team on D. Veteran leadership is priceless. We can win, and we WILL win.
Rss Feed