Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline warhawk  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 5:16:05 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 222

I think the biggest key is having Pickett back and how Jolly plays (and he can be a monster). As I stated in another thread I think Pickett is huge in our run defense because he executes his part to perfection which creates opportunities for the guys behind him. That's how our run "D" works.

There has been a big difference in our run "D" when he has been in there and when he has not (most of the pre-season). If we keep AP in control we win because then the advantage goes to our WR's and passing game against the other seven they have on the field and we win that battle.

In fact, only Greenway would be a player in that back seven that could replace anyone we have back there. Go thru the lineup yourself. What other Viking goes in front of anybody we have in that back seven.

I know, I know, now we have this huge pass rush problem that the Vikes will be bringing, right? I don't know about that. In the entire careers of all four starting DL for the Vikes including Allen, Edwards, and both Williams', they have a GRAND TOTAL of 2 and 1/2 sacks in NINETEEN GAMES combined against the Pack.

The Vikings didn't improve all four pass rushers. They improved one and we will be doubling him. Don't look for that to mean now they will be equaling their sack total in one game to what they have done in their entire careers. Won't happen.

The Vikes run it well and stop the run well the rest of what they have is all talk, talk, talk. If we keep AP around 100yds. we win. Maybe by double digits.
"The train is leaving the station."
Offline walleye  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 5:27:27 PM(UTC)
walleye

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)


Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I think the biggest key is having Pickett back and how Jolly plays (and he can be a monster). As I stated in another thread I think Pickett is huge in our run defense because he executes his part to perfection which creates opportunities for the guys behind him. That's how our run "D" works.

There has been a big difference in our run "D" when he has been in there and when he has not (most of the pre-season). If we keep AP in control we win because then the advantage goes to our WR's and passing game against the other seven they have on the field and we win that battle.

In fact, only Greenway would be a player in that back seven that could replace anyone we have back there. Go thru the lineup yourself. What other Viking goes in front of anybody we have in that back seven.

I know, I know, now we have this huge pass rush problem that the Vikes will be bringing, right? I don't know about that. In the entire careers of all four starting DL for the Vikes including Allen, Edwards, and both Williams', they have a GRAND TOTAL of 2 and 1/2 sacks in NINETEEN GAMES combined against the Pack.

The Vikings didn't improve all four pass rushers. They improved one and we will be doubling him. Don't look for that to mean now they will be equaling their sack total in one game to what they have done in their entire careers. Won't happen.

The Vikes run it well and stop the run well the rest of what they have is all talk, talk, talk. If we keep AP around 100yds. we win. Maybe by double digits.

I agree with that 150% Its almost time for Aaron Rodgers to show up these jackasses talken smack!
UserPostedImage
Here Fishy Fishy
Offline zombieslayer  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 5:37:37 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Stopping their running game will be crucial. It wont be the deciding factor. But if we eliminate it, we have nearly a guaranteed victory.

Our O-line situation is what I'm worried most about. I hope that come gameday, they out play themselves and just surprise the hell out of everyone. Ryan also concerns me, he hasn't played at game speed since the NFC ship. But Gregorious is who I think will spark our Offense. One of those quick slants is going to the house.

All in all, I'm very optimistic. I don't even worry about our team on D. Veteran leadership is priceless. We can win, and we WILL win.


This is the thing. We won't need to stop their running game. Last year, Childress abandoned the running game when he fell behind. He'll do the same this year if we take a good lead.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline bozz_2006  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 5:48:36 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 7/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Stopping their running game will be crucial. It wont be the deciding factor. But if we eliminate it, we have nearly a guaranteed victory.

Our O-line situation is what I'm worried most about. I hope that come gameday, they out play themselves and just surprise the hell out of everyone. Ryan also concerns me, he hasn't played at game speed since the NFC ship. But Gregorious is who I think will spark our Offense. One of those quick slants is going to the house.

All in all, I'm very optimistic. I don't even worry about our team on D. Veteran leadership is priceless. We can win, and we WILL win.


This is the thing. We won't need to stop their running game. Last year, Childress abandoned the running game when he fell behind. He'll do the same this year if we take a good lead.


That's right. But it's not like Childress is stupid for abandoning the run when the Vikes get down by two scores. That's basically what you have to do. Some teams can succeed when they have to do that, and some (Vikings) have to put their hopes on a wing and a prayer.
UserPostedImage
Offline millertime  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:08:43 PM(UTC)
millertime

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 7

Who's the right guard if spitz slide to center?
People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society.
-Vince Lombardi
Offline IronMan  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:17:17 PM(UTC)
IronMan

Rank: Pro Bowl

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 77
Applause Received: 91

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Who's the right guard if spitz slide to center?

Moll will play RG.
Offline Bigbyfan  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:28:54 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 26
Applause Received: 81

Atari Bigby (of course this is totally unbiased lol)


But actually he will be a big key to a win. He needs to hit hard and tackle consistenly against the run game. He needs to make their receivers not want to catch across the middle. He could lay out TJ on a blitz. He could possibly get an INT.

Like I said before.... TOTALLY unbiased :)
blank
Offline NodakPaul  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:45:45 PM(UTC)
NodakPaul

Rank: Fresh Cheesehead

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)


Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I think the biggest key is having Pickett back and how Jolly plays (and he can be a monster). As I stated in another thread I think Pickett is huge in our run defense because he executes his part to perfection which creates opportunities for the guys behind him. That's how our run "D" works.

There has been a big difference in our run "D" when he has been in there and when he has not (most of the pre-season). If we keep AP in control we win because then the advantage goes to our WR's and passing game against the other seven they have on the field and we win that battle.

In fact, only Greenway would be a player in that back seven that could replace anyone we have back there. Go thru the lineup yourself. What other Viking goes in front of anybody we have in that back seven.

I know, I know, now we have this huge pass rush problem that the Vikes will be bringing, right? I don't know about that. In the entire careers of all four starting DL for the Vikes including Allen, Edwards, and both Williams', they have a GRAND TOTAL of 2 and 1/2 sacks in NINETEEN GAMES combined against the Pack.

The Vikings didn't improve all four pass rushers. They improved one and we will be doubling him. Don't look for that to mean now they will be equaling their sack total in one game to what they have done in their entire careers. Won't happen.

The Vikes run it well and stop the run well the rest of what they have is all talk, talk, talk. If we keep AP around 100yds. we win. Maybe by double digits.


Yes, the key to stopping the Vikings is stopping AD. You know it, I know it, and Mike McCarthy knows it. Hopefully Brad Childress knows it too, so he will have game planned for that eventuality. I actually expect him to come out throwing in the first series, just to pull the secondary out of the box. After that we settle down.

As far as the Vikings pass rush, historically when we have played Green Bay, you have always double teamed Kevin Williams. Now if you double team Allen too, that means you have four men committed to two guys. That means you will be short one OL, unless you plan on keeping a fullback in to block Allen (which is actually a good idea, that is probably what we will be doing to Kampman). Even then it means that Phat Pat and Edwards will be singled. Don't be so quick to dismiss the Vikings pass rush (which was shining in the preseason) against your OL (which did NOT shine...).

Bottom line, it will come down to the battles in the trenches. Whichever team is more successful generating pressure with just their front four will come out of this with the W.

Here is to a GREAT opener with no injuries...

Well it's Monday night and we're ready to rock!
Time to get all the hits, the bangs and the blocks.
It's the game of the week that's comin' your way.
The Vikings and the Packers are ready to play.
We gotta get ready, we gotta get right
Cause Monday Night Football kicks off tonight!

So get ready. I mean, get ready.
Are you ready for some football?! A Monday night party!

We've got Jaws and Mike and Tony.
They're gonna get it kick started.
Suzy and the crew's all set. The crowd is psyched.
Cause all my rowdy friends are back on Monday Night!
"There's the snap, Rodgers with a quick drop - in trouble! AND SACKED BY ALLEN! The ball is lose, the ball is lose, and recovered by Kevin Williams! And that's the ball game! Childress and the Vikings FINALLY beat the Packers!"
--
Offline Greg C.  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:01:51 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 8/9/2008(UTC)
Location: Marquette, Michigan

Applause Received: 48

Adrian Peterson will probably run all over us, but that doesn't guarantee a Viking win. Just make sure he doesn't break too many big ones. Let them advance the ball slowly down the field and mostly settle for field goals.

On offense, we win by exploiting the edges. I think Grant had a really good rushing day against the Vikings in the second game last year, like he was the first player to run for over 100 yards against them or something. Run him to the outside, or throw to him out there, and avoid those beasts that play tackle for the Vikes. This will also force Jared Allen to honor the run instead of selling himself out on the pass rush on every play.

Packers win, 31-27.
blank
Offline Bigbyfan  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:20:32 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 26
Applause Received: 81

Ryan Grant will run through the hole that Jared Allen always makes. Jared Allen may help the pass defense but IMO hurts their run defense. His style of play takes him five yards behind the line of scrimmage and then he has to try and turn the corner and beat the LT. Him doing this will make a big hole on the left side for Grant to run through.
blank
Offline Zero2Cool  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:44:14 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,956
Applause Received: 2,191

I think the biggest key is ... if we have more points than they do at the final gun, I think we win. :)


Nah, if Rodgers stays clean, I think we got this one in the bag.
UserPostedImage
Offline NodakPaul  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:45:39 PM(UTC)
NodakPaul

Rank: Fresh Cheesehead

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)


Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Ryan Grant will run through the hole that Jared Allen always makes. Jared Allen may help the pass defense but IMO hurts their run defense. His style of play takes him five yards behind the line of scrimmage and then he has to try and turn the corner and beat the LT. Him doing this will make a big hole on the left side for Grant to run through.


You are correct in your assessment of Allen. But I actually think we will allow him to run wide open, and cover the gap with the Williams duo and a LB. Our run D won't be as dominant as last year, but it will still be in the top three. And if that means improving our passing D into the top half of the rankings, then it is a sacrifice I am willing to take.
"There's the snap, Rodgers with a quick drop - in trouble! AND SACKED BY ALLEN! The ball is lose, the ball is lose, and recovered by Kevin Williams! And that's the ball game! Childress and the Vikings FINALLY beat the Packers!"
--
Offline Zero2Cool  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:04:15 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,956
Applause Received: 2,191

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Ryan Grant will run through the hole that Jared Allen always makes. Jared Allen may help the pass defense but IMO hurts their run defense. His style of play takes him five yards behind the line of scrimmage and then he has to try and turn the corner and beat the LT. Him doing this will make a big hole on the left side for Grant to run through.


Good poost!!

For those at home wondering, the Chiefs were 28th in the Run Defense and 5th in the Pass defense.
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigbyfan  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:07:11 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 26
Applause Received: 81

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Ryan Grant will run through the hole that Jared Allen always makes. Jared Allen may help the pass defense but IMO hurts their run defense. His style of play takes him five yards behind the line of scrimmage and then he has to try and turn the corner and beat the LT. Him doing this will make a big hole on the left side for Grant to run through.


Good poost!!

For those at home wondering, the Chiefs were 28th in the Run Defense and 5th in the Pass defense.


I aim to please :thumbleft:
blank
Offline Rockjock07  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:35:06 PM(UTC)
Rockjock07

Rank: Fresh Cheesehead

Joined: 8/13/2008(UTC)


Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
8 in the box, make Tavaris Jackson beat you.

Offensively, attack the secondary with slants all night long.


Sounds perfect to me. Also Bryant McKinney is not playing so I'm rather thrilled about Kampman and KGB going up against bad back-up tackles.
Thank You 2005 White Sox!
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages<123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / hardrocker950

5h / Announcements / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

12h / Announcements / Zero2Cool

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann