Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline mi_keys  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 11:06:01 AM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 226
Applause Received: 359

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
... I was pulled over in Illinois doing 80 in a 65 (being in the middle of a group that had briefly sped up to pass some old lady... I drive the sporty car with the out of state license plate). Traffic laws and their enforcement are bullshit.

Umm. You were ACTUALLY speeding. You got caught. How was that bullshit in any way?

Seems like the penalties for speeding in America are way too lenient. No wonder so many people do it.

Here, going 20 mph over the limit (32 km/hr) is about a $600-800 fine and something like 5 demerit points (out of a max of 12).

Notice how I said, "...and their enforcement." It's bullshit because at any given point most people are going 5 to 10 over depending on the road and don't try to tell me otherwise. I've been going the speed limit and nothing more since getting my last ticket and it's fairly often that I'm quite literally the slowest driver on the road. Yes, I was speeding. But so were 80% of the cars. I was pissed that the cop went out of his way to pick me out (passed a couple other cars going the same speed to go get me... they were minivans probably with small kids going on vacation, I learned the hard way that I'm going to be first). It's also bullshit that my friend was sent home with a warning going 50 over when I got tickets for 9 and 15 over.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline Cheesey  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 3:52:14 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 200
Applause Received: 436

Keys.........it's the luck of the draw. Some cops will cut you some slack, some won't.
I go 5 over at the MOST, no matter what the other people are doing. I look at it this way........if you are driving 100 miles to get somewhere, how much faster will you get there by going 10-15 over the speed limit? 10 minutes maybe? Is that worth taking the chance of a big fine and points on your license, which also brings up you insurance costs?
I have been driving for 33 years. Know how many speeding tickets i have got over that time? ZERO. The only times i came close was what i posted earlier when i worked at the Sentinel.
If you don't break the law, you don't really have anything to worry or bitch about.
Just because everyone else is doing it, that doesn't make it right.
UserPostedImage
Offline IronMan  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 4:12:54 PM(UTC)
IronMan

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 85
Applause Received: 98

If you drive the speed limit, you won't get pulled over. I figured that out about 10 years ago and haven't had a speeding ticket since.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 5:48:31 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,224

If you drive the speed limit, you won't get pulled over. I figured that out about 10 years ago and haven't had a speeding ticket since.

You save a lot more money when you don't speed too. Its a lot less stressful driving around without looking over your shoulder at cops cuz you have no license.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:45:04 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Notice how I said, "...and their enforcement." It's bullshit because at any given point most people are going 5 to 10 over depending on the road and don't try to tell me otherwise. I've been going the speed limit and nothing more since getting my last ticket and it's fairly often that I'm quite literally the slowest driver on the road. Yes, I was speeding. But so were 80% of the cars. I was pissed that the cop went out of his way to pick me out (passed a couple other cars going the same speed to go get me... they were minivans probably with small kids going on vacation, I learned the hard way that I'm going to be first). It's also bullshit that my friend was sent home with a warning going 50 over when I got tickets for 9 and 15 over.

I'll add to this.

I've known people who cried their way out of speeding tickets. Now, if that doesn't ruffle your feathers...
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline TOPackerFan  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:00:43 PM(UTC)
TOPackerFan

Cole must be a lightweight. I got pulled over a couple of years ago on US 41 in Appleton for going 88 in a 65 (had out of state plates - Ontario - so I thought I was cooked). Cop was actually a decent guy though. He asked if I had any connections to Wisconsin and I smiled and said "just the Packers." He looked at me, and then looked away, but I could tell he was laughing. Came back 5 minutes later, still smiling, with a written warning and told me to slow down.
Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince
Offline TOPackerFan  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:02:52 PM(UTC)
TOPackerFan

and this past summer I was pulled over in Illinois doing 80 in a 65

I always wondered how fast you had to be going to get a ticket in Illinois. I always thought it was a lot faster than that though.
Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince
Offline mi_keys  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:04:59 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Keys.........it's the luck of the draw. Some cops will cut you some slack, some won't.
I go 5 over at the MOST, no matter what the other people are doing. I look at it this way........if you are driving 100 miles to get somewhere, how much faster will you get there by going 10-15 over the speed limit? 10 minutes maybe? Is that worth taking the chance of a big fine and points on your license, which also brings up you insurance costs?
I have been driving for 33 years. Know how many speeding tickets i have got over that time? ZERO. The only times i came close was what i posted earlier when i worked at the Sentinel.
If you don't break the law, you don't really have anything to worry or bitch about.

Cheesey I know what you're saying and I agree with you. That's why I won't go over any more and even before the ticket I rarely exceeded 5 over. But the inconsistencies still piss me off.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:43:37 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

I always wondered how fast you had to be going to get a ticket in Illinois. I always thought it was a lot faster than that though.

I thought the speed limit in Illinois was 70? Oops...
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline Bigbyfan  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:59:30 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Applause Given: 26
Applause Received: 81

I live right outside of Washington DC. The Beltway is always crazy, 70-80 is the norm around here lol
blank
Offline mi_keys  
#36 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:12:36 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

I thought the speed limit in Illinois was 70? Oops...

It used to be... I remember when I was younger and I'd go up from St. Louis to Sturgeon Bay with my family and my dad would be going 85 to 90 the whole way... never once pulled over.
Offline Cheesey  
#37 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:18:25 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Cheesey I know what you're saying and I agree with you. That's why I won't go over any more and even before the ticket I rarely exceeded 5 over. But the inconsistencies still piss me off.

I understand what you are saying.........you never know if the cop will write you up or not. They let some go, and some they nail. Some cops are understanding, some not.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#38 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:53:13 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

The only time a cop let me go was with a pretty pink slip. I I have a hard time believing anyone who says they got away without a ticket!!! I got 27 of them bastards in a four year span that totaled more than 3k in fines.

Very valuable lesson learned. Don't let an 18 yr old have a convertible and don't let him have a truck that he can take off roading and rack up trespassing fines.

UserPostedImage
Offline 4PackGirl  
#39 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 10:41:18 PM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 161
Applause Received: 124

speed limits in illinois - 65 on major highways for cars & 55 on major highways for semi's, vehicles hauling trailers, campers, & motorhomes. pisses off the truckers but it's a helluva lot better than the bottleneck y'all have up there in wisconsin letting EVERYBODY do 65!!!!! ;)
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#40 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 7:55:14 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

The only time a cop let me go was with a pretty pink slip. I I have a hard time believing anyone who says they got away without a ticket!!! I got 27 of them bastards in a four year span that totaled more than 3k in fines.

Very valuable lesson learned. Don't let an 18 yr old have a convertible and don't let him have a truck that he can take off roading and rack up trespassing fines.

Wow.......27????? In 4 years?????
Man......i should have over 200 by now!
But i still have NONE!!! :whipitgood: :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
Offline yooperfan  
#41 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 11:23:57 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 636
Applause Received: 295

Who the heck in Wiconsin doesn't go 88 in a 65?
When I hit US 41 north of Green Bay as I'm driving down from the U.P.,
I feel like I'm in the Indy 500.
I consistantly drive 7 MPH over the speed limit and when I'm on a 4 lane road in Wisconsin I get passed like I'm standing still.
Cole must not have had Wisconsin plates!
Offline zombieslayer  
#42 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:19:50 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

I think you have to leave the house to get a speeding ticket. That's why.

Just kidding. :lol:
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline warhawk  
#43 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 5:52:57 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 227

Put a good looking chick in the passanger seat with plenty of clevage, ask the officer several questions while your "friend" leans over as if listening intently.

Your ticket count goes to 0.

However, it will cost you MORE in the long run boys, a whole lot more.

Hell, I just pay the tickets now. Much less aggrivating.
"The train is leaving the station."
Offline Zero2Cool  
#44 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 7:04:51 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Hah, yeah... the first few years of me driving, I thought I mistook driving as a right, not a privilege. I learned though, took a few, ahh... few yes a few tickets before I did though.

UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#45 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 7:53:29 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Put a good looking chick in the passanger seat with plenty of clevage, ask the officer several questions while your "friend" leans over as if listening intently.

Your ticket count goes to 0.

However, it will cost you MORE in the long run boys, a whole lot more.

Hell, I just pay the tickets now. Much less aggrivating.

That doesn't work. He gets jealous that she's with you and not him and finds even more things wrong with your car. Bad taillight, no front license plate, etc. Tacks it on in addition to your speeding ticket.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

Offline Cheesey  
#46 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 10:36:11 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

The only time a cop let me go was with a pretty pink slip.

I bet that goes nice with your pretty pink skirt!!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#47 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 11:33:39 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

The only time a cop let me go was with a pretty pink slip.

I bet that goes nice with your pretty pink skirt!!!!

I dunno, you still have it.

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed