Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
IronMan  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:17:17 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Who's the right guard if spitz slide to center?

Moll will play RG.
Bigbyfan  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:28:54 PM(UTC)
Atari Bigby (of course this is totally unbiased lol)

But actually he will be a big key to a win. He needs to hit hard and tackle consistenly against the run game. He needs to make their receivers not want to catch across the middle. He could lay out TJ on a blitz. He could possibly get an INT.

Like I said before.... TOTALLY unbiased :)
NodakPaul  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:45:45 PM(UTC)
I think the biggest key is having Pickett back and how Jolly plays (and he can be a monster). As I stated in another thread I think Pickett is huge in our run defense because he executes his part to perfection which creates opportunities for the guys behind him. That's how our run "D" works.

There has been a big difference in our run "D" when he has been in there and when he has not (most of the pre-season). If we keep AP in control we win because then the advantage goes to our WR's and passing game against the other seven they have on the field and we win that battle.

In fact, only Greenway would be a player in that back seven that could replace anyone we have back there. Go thru the lineup yourself. What other Viking goes in front of anybody we have in that back seven.

I know, I know, now we have this huge pass rush problem that the Vikes will be bringing, right? I don't know about that. In the entire careers of all four starting DL for the Vikes including Allen, Edwards, and both Williams', they have a GRAND TOTAL of 2 and 1/2 sacks in NINETEEN GAMES combined against the Pack.

The Vikings didn't improve all four pass rushers. They improved one and we will be doubling him. Don't look for that to mean now they will be equaling their sack total in one game to what they have done in their entire careers. Won't happen.

The Vikes run it well and stop the run well the rest of what they have is all talk, talk, talk. If we keep AP around 100yds. we win. Maybe by double digits.

Yes, the key to stopping the Vikings is stopping AD. You know it, I know it, and Mike McCarthy knows it. Hopefully Brad Childress knows it too, so he will have game planned for that eventuality. I actually expect him to come out throwing in the first series, just to pull the secondary out of the box. After that we settle down.

As far as the Vikings pass rush, historically when we have played Green Bay, you have always double teamed Kevin Williams. Now if you double team Allen too, that means you have four men committed to two guys. That means you will be short one OL, unless you plan on keeping a fullback in to block Allen (which is actually a good idea, that is probably what we will be doing to Kampman). Even then it means that Phat Pat and Edwards will be singled. Don't be so quick to dismiss the Vikings pass rush (which was shining in the preseason) against your OL (which did NOT shine...).

Bottom line, it will come down to the battles in the trenches. Whichever team is more successful generating pressure with just their front four will come out of this with the W.

Here is to a GREAT opener with no injuries...

Well it's Monday night and we're ready to rock!
Time to get all the hits, the bangs and the blocks.
It's the game of the week that's comin' your way.
The Vikings and the Packers are ready to play.
We gotta get ready, we gotta get right
Cause Monday Night Football kicks off tonight!

So get ready. I mean, get ready.
Are you ready for some football?! A Monday night party!

We've got Jaws and Mike and Tony.
They're gonna get it kick started.
Suzy and the crew's all set. The crowd is psyched.
Cause all my rowdy friends are back on Monday Night!
Greg C.  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:01:51 PM(UTC)
Adrian Peterson will probably run all over us, but that doesn't guarantee a Viking win. Just make sure he doesn't break too many big ones. Let them advance the ball slowly down the field and mostly settle for field goals.

On offense, we win by exploiting the edges. I think Grant had a really good rushing day against the Vikings in the second game last year, like he was the first player to run for over 100 yards against them or something. Run him to the outside, or throw to him out there, and avoid those beasts that play tackle for the Vikes. This will also force Jared Allen to honor the run instead of selling himself out on the pass rush on every play.

Packers win, 31-27.
Bigbyfan  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:20:32 PM(UTC)
Ryan Grant will run through the hole that Jared Allen always makes. Jared Allen may help the pass defense but IMO hurts their run defense. His style of play takes him five yards behind the line of scrimmage and then he has to try and turn the corner and beat the LT. Him doing this will make a big hole on the left side for Grant to run through.
Zero2Cool  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:44:14 PM(UTC)
I think the biggest key is ... if we have more points than they do at the final gun, I think we win. :)

Nah, if Rodgers stays clean, I think we got this one in the bag.
NodakPaul  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:45:39 PM(UTC)
Ryan Grant will run through the hole that Jared Allen always makes. Jared Allen may help the pass defense but IMO hurts their run defense. His style of play takes him five yards behind the line of scrimmage and then he has to try and turn the corner and beat the LT. Him doing this will make a big hole on the left side for Grant to run through.

You are correct in your assessment of Allen. But I actually think we will allow him to run wide open, and cover the gap with the Williams duo and a LB. Our run D won't be as dominant as last year, but it will still be in the top three. And if that means improving our passing D into the top half of the rankings, then it is a sacrifice I am willing to take.
Zero2Cool  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:04:15 PM(UTC)

Good poost!!

For those at home wondering, the Chiefs were 28th in the Run Defense and 5th in the Pass defense.
Bigbyfan  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:07:11 PM(UTC)

Good poost!!

For those at home wondering, the Chiefs were 28th in the Run Defense and 5th in the Pass defense.

I aim to please :thumbleft:
Rockjock07  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:35:06 PM(UTC)
8 in the box, make Tavaris Jackson beat you.

Offensively, attack the secondary with slants all night long.

Sounds perfect to me. Also Bryant McKinney is not playing so I'm rather thrilled about Kampman and KGB going up against bad back-up tackles.
nathaniel  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 9:34:23 PM(UTC)
O-line, o-line, o-line. Holding off their defense is the main thing I'm worried about.

I can't believe the season starts Monday! What a long horrible offseason, Haha!
NodakPaul  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 10:00:46 PM(UTC)
8 in the box, make Tavaris Jackson beat you.

Offensively, attack the secondary with slants all night long.

Sounds perfect to me. Also Bryant McKinney is not playing so I'm rather thrilled about Kampman and KGB going up against bad back-up tackles.

I have a feeling that the DL for both teams will be wreaking havoc...
millertime  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 10:59:50 PM(UTC)
Who's the right guard if spitz slide to center?

Moll will play RG.

nice. he's by far my favorite packer :brilsmurf: . perennial pro bowler and future hall of famer, IMHO. i can't believe i just typed IMHO. damn the internet.
Jakest3r  
#34 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 12:26:32 AM(UTC)
Containing AP is a must. That goes without saying.

But as long as we play efficient defense, keep the offense on the field as much as possible to make the Vikings pass, I like our chances. Nothing about the Vikings passing game scares me -- Sidney Rice seems good, but I can't really say too much on him yet. So basically, keep control of their run game, that is what makes me cringe the most. Should be a win if we do those things.
porky88  
#35 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 2:26:56 AM(UTC)
Stop Adrian Peterson. If you stop AP, you'll beat the Vikings. It's that simple. Jackson cannot beat the Packers throwing the ball. They don't have the receivers for one and Jackson isn't good enough to do so in my opinion. If you stop Peterson, Green Bay should win.

Another focus is taking care of the ball. I think Jackson will probably throw the ball 15 to 20 times. He'll give the Packers a shot at an INT but because he won't throw much, chances are GB won't come away with more than 1. Maybe 2 if Jackson plays very poor.

I think Rodgers will throw 30 times. He can't afford to have a 2 or 3 pick game in my opinion.
tromadz  
#36 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 2:41:07 AM(UTC)

I completely disagree with the OL. It is a problem. Not thinking it isn't a problem doesn't solve it not being a problem. That's called denial.

Thinking this group is a problem even though they've been playing together a couple years now isn't a problem or denial, it's ignorance.

Wow, that got out of hand in a hurry. You know I love you, Zombie. We'll disagree there.

We keep AP off the field. We open up the passing game. Get a rhythm. Yes, our OL is weak. Yes, their DL is good. But you do three steps back and release all day long. Don't give them time to think. Throw screens. Throw short slants. Throw 70% of the time, but get the ball off asap.

Score early and often.

That I agree with.
bozz_2006  
#37 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 8:33:39 AM(UTC)

smart man.
Cheesey  
#38 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 9:11:34 AM(UTC)
Contain Peterson, don't let T. Jackson RUN if no one is open for him to throw to. In the preseason, QB's were able to tuck it and gain BIG yards against us. Can't let them do that.
On O, we have to open some holes for Grant and Jackson to run through, and keep their guys off of Rodgers.
tromadz  
#39 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 9:29:00 AM(UTC)
don't let T. Jackson RUN if no one is open for him to throw to.

I say let him run.

Did you see him run in that preseason game? Almost got himself killed. Go ahead. Try it, Tavaris. What's the worst that could happen? Just hope they don't send Bigby. Pray to whatever god you have chosen and YOU PRAY Sanders isn't sending Bigby!

Good luck.

(ok, im officially super pumped for MNF now! CMON!)
NodakPaul  
#40 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 10:27:58 AM(UTC)
don't let T. Jackson RUN if no one is open for him to throw to.

I say let him run.

Did you see him run in that preseason game? Almost got himself killed. Go ahead. Try it, Tavaris. What's the worst that could happen? Just hope they don't send Bigby. Pray to whatever god you have chosen and YOU PRAY Sanders isn't sending Bigby!

Good luck.

(ok, im officially super pumped for MNF now! CMON!)

If TJack was smart enough to slide, it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately...
Rss Feed