Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline NodakPaul  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:21:37 PM(UTC)
NodakPaul

http://www.profootballta...hy-packers-traded-favre/

Quote:
Count John Madden among those who cant understand why Brett Favre wont be playing for the Green Bay Packers this season.

Who would you rather have, Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre as your quarterback or Aaron Rodgers and two rookies? Madden said. That to me would be easy. I mean I would [have] worked something out to keep him there.

Madden will call tonights Giants-Redskins game for NBC, but you get the feeling that he and partner Al Michaels think the Packers trading Favre to the Jets is the only NFL story that matters right now.

God I hate Madden. He has been on Fav-re's jock for a decade and a half. At least now some of the Green Bay fans can feel my pain too.

I don't think trading Fav-re is the only NFL story that matters. In fact, as the Jets regress back into mediocrity, I don't even think it will be a story anymore... If the Jets make a playoff push, then let's talk about it. Otherwise let it be.
"There's the snap, Rodgers with a quick drop - in trouble! AND SACKED BY ALLEN! The ball is lose, the ball is lose, and recovered by Kevin Williams! And that's the ball game! Childress and the Vikings FINALLY beat the Packers!"
--
Sponsor
Offline NodakPaul  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:22:29 PM(UTC)
NodakPaul

[youtube]XBW7ysPcbT0[/youtube]
"There's the snap, Rodgers with a quick drop - in trouble! AND SACKED BY ALLEN! The ball is lose, the ball is lose, and recovered by Kevin Williams! And that's the ball game! Childress and the Vikings FINALLY beat the Packers!"
--
Offline Roddyboy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:27:04 PM(UTC)
Roddyboy

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/04/madden-doesnt-get-why-packers-traded-favre/

Quote:
Count John Madden among those who cant understand why Brett Favre wont be playing for the Green Bay Packers this season.

Who would you rather have, Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre as your quarterback or Aaron Rodgers and two rookies? Madden said. That to me would be easy. I mean I would [have] worked something out to keep him there.

Madden will call tonights Giants-Redskins game for NBC, but you get the feeling that he and partner Al Michaels think the Packers trading Favre to the Jets is the only NFL story that matters right now.

God I hate Madden. He has been on Fav-re's jock for a decade and a half. At least now some of the Green Bay fans can feel my pain too.

I don't think trading Fav-re is the only NFL story that matters. In fact, as the Jets regress back into mediocrity, I don't even think it will be a story anymore... If the Jets make a playoff push, then let's talk about it. Otherwise let it be.

Madden is right.

Teddy was a moron for letting him go.

The season will prove this out. :thumbleft:
blank
Offline Packers_Finland  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:42:03 PM(UTC)
Packers_Finland

Applause Given: 88
Applause Received: 45

A-Rod will do well, so will Brett in the Jets. Everyone's happy. Why talk about this same subject over and over for no reason.
This is a placeholder
Offline Cheesey  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 2:17:14 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 178
Applause Received: 396

A-Rod will do well, so will Brett in the Jets. Everyone's happy. Why talk about this same subject over and over for no reason.

It's called........"beating a dead horse".
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 2:22:08 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

That's what sports fans do. I know some people here who are still hung up on Joe vs Steve.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline walleye  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 2:53:53 PM(UTC)
walleye

Who cares the big cry baby is gone-LETS MOVE ON TO A NEW ERA.
UserPostedImage
Here Fishy Fishy
Offline agopackgo4  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 3:12:51 PM(UTC)
agopackgo4

Applause Received: 3

who cares what the hell madden says.
Offline agopackgo4  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 3:13:22 PM(UTC)
agopackgo4

Applause Received: 3

He isn't here. He doesnt know every aspect of the situation...His opinion isnt any better than any idiot from ESPN
Offline walleye  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 3:17:45 PM(UTC)
walleye

He isn't here. He doesnt know every aspect of the situation...His opinion isnt any better than any idiot from ESPN

the guys a :xcensoredx: idiot and talks out of his ass!
UserPostedImage
Here Fishy Fishy
Offline zombieslayer  
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 5:03:12 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Like him or not, I grew up watching John Madden. He was one of the best coaches I've ever seen, and I've watched over 30 years of football. He was aggressive when he needed to be aggressive, extremely charismatic, smart, clever, and knew how to run a football team. His teams were consistently good.

So I care about what he says. He won a SB too.

You want to know why he rides Favre's jock? Because since he's been following football, nobody has played with Favre's intensity. Nobody.

When Favre leaves the game for good, it will be a sad day for the NFL. It will be a much sadder day for the NFL than when Elway left, when Marino left, and definitely than when P Manning and Brady will finally leave.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#12 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 5:35:39 PM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Applause Given: 10
Applause Received: 81

the guys a :xcensoredx: idiot and talks out of his ass!

Like Madden or not, it's hard to argue against the point he is making.

The Packers are a Superbowl contender, they've got all the pieces right now except for consistent QB play. Aaron may be good, but right now he is an unknown.

Favre is consistently proven himself to be a cut above. He's a play maker, the type of player that comes along once in a blue moon.

For this team, this season, aspirations to go to the Superbowl would be greater with Favre.

Yes Favre is 39, but he is coming off a season where he would've been MVP had it not been for a once in a decade type of season from another QB (Brady). You can't discount that, especially given that McCarthy has helped another old QB (Gannon) do quite well into his 40s.

To drop him for a QB with potential, who has impressed in his limited play doesn't make a lot of sense for a team with Superbowl aspirations this season.

The Packers are taking a huge gamble by going with Rodgers this year, but this move has to be looked as a move intended for the best LONG TERM interests of the Packers.

That's the point I think Madden is missing. Although with his experience, I wonder if he heavily believes in striking while the iron is hot type of thing, meaning he thought the Packers should've been willing to sacrifice long-term success in order to have a great shot at winning it all now. After all, he would definitely know chances where you have a team the caliber the Packers' have this year don't come too often.

Either way, I've got a feeling the Packers will be alright. Not dominating, but they'll be fine.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Offline Roddyboy  
#13 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 5:49:29 PM(UTC)
Roddyboy

It seems like Ted really doesn't care about winning now.

The question is, will he ever win because the book on him is that he doesn't know how to put a team over the top as a GM.
blank
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#14 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 6:10:36 PM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Applause Given: 10
Applause Received: 81

It seems like Ted really doesn't care about winning now.

That's a bit far-fetched.

Ted wants to win, he also wants to win now.

But he doesn't want to win now at the cost of the future. It isn't as if he's handing the team off to a rookie, Rodgers has shown promise and grown each year he has been here. Sure Rodgers isn't proven, but that doesn't mean it was stupid to go with him.

Rodgers will take his lumps and bruises this season, and Ted is banking on him being a better player for it next season.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Offline dingus  
#15 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 6:16:50 PM(UTC)
dingus

Applause Given: 17
Applause Received: 27

Being that this is his first GM gig, I imagine that there's no real "book" on him as a GM other than last season's executive of the year award.
blank