Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline zombieslayer  
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 5:03:12 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495
Like him or not, I grew up watching John Madden. He was one of the best coaches I've ever seen, and I've watched over 30 years of football. He was aggressive when he needed to be aggressive, extremely charismatic, smart, clever, and knew how to run a football team. His teams were consistently good.

So I care about what he says. He won a SB too.

You want to know why he rides Favre's jock? Because since he's been following football, nobody has played with Favre's intensity. Nobody.

When Favre leaves the game for good, it will be a sad day for the NFL. It will be a much sadder day for the NFL than when Elway left, when Marino left, and definitely than when P Manning and Brady will finally leave.
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#12 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 5:35:39 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 105
" said: Go to Quoted Post
He isn't here. He doesnt know every aspect of the situation...His opinion isnt any better than any idiot from ESPN

the guys a :xcensoredx: idiot and talks out of his ass!

Like Madden or not, it's hard to argue against the point he is making.

The Packers are a Superbowl contender, they've got all the pieces right now except for consistent QB play. Aaron may be good, but right now he is an unknown.

Favre is consistently proven himself to be a cut above. He's a play maker, the type of player that comes along once in a blue moon.

For this team, this season, aspirations to go to the Superbowl would be greater with Favre.

Yes Favre is 39, but he is coming off a season where he would've been MVP had it not been for a once in a decade type of season from another QB (Brady). You can't discount that, especially given that McCarthy has helped another old QB (Gannon) do quite well into his 40s.

To drop him for a QB with potential, who has impressed in his limited play doesn't make a lot of sense for a team with Superbowl aspirations this season.

The Packers are taking a huge gamble by going with Rodgers this year, but this move has to be looked as a move intended for the best LONG TERM interests of the Packers.

That's the point I think Madden is missing. Although with his experience, I wonder if he heavily believes in striking while the iron is hot type of thing, meaning he thought the Packers should've been willing to sacrifice long-term success in order to have a great shot at winning it all now. After all, he would definitely know chances where you have a team the caliber the Packers' have this year don't come too often.

Either way, I've got a feeling the Packers will be alright. Not dominating, but they'll be fine.
Offline Roddyboy  
#13 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 5:49:29 PM(UTC)

It seems like Ted really doesn't care about winning now.

The question is, will he ever win because the book on him is that he doesn't know how to put a team over the top as a GM.
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#14 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 6:10:36 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 105
It seems like Ted really doesn't care about winning now.

That's a bit far-fetched.

Ted wants to win, he also wants to win now.

But he doesn't want to win now at the cost of the future. It isn't as if he's handing the team off to a rookie, Rodgers has shown promise and grown each year he has been here. Sure Rodgers isn't proven, but that doesn't mean it was stupid to go with him.

Rodgers will take his lumps and bruises this season, and Ted is banking on him being a better player for it next season.
Offline dingus  
#15 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 6:16:50 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 26
Applause Received: 35
Being that this is his first GM gig, I imagine that there's no real "book" on him as a GM other than last season's executive of the year award.
Offline Greg C.  
#16 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 6:28:39 PM(UTC)

Applause Received: 48
Two out of the last nine Super Bowl winners have had first-year starters at QB. And yet many people consider it to be a fact that the Packers cannot win the Super Bowl with a first year QB. How stupid can people get? I have no problem with people saying that the Packers' chances of winning it all are less with Rodgers than they would've been with Favre, even though I don't agree with that statement. But it gets silly when people make such extreme statements.

I realize that Madden wasn't saying that. He likes Favre because he's an announcer and Favre is an exciting and charismatic player. Madden knows which side his bread is buttered on.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#17 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 6:51:22 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2015Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Applause Given: 2,206
Applause Received: 3,065
Anything can happen on ... Any. Given. Sunday.

crap, the game doesn't start til Monday...
Offline porky88  
#18 Posted : Friday, September 5, 2008 1:39:47 AM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 247
Applause Received: 492
Well I'm glad I'm going to the Cowboys game that way I won't have to hear Madden talk about Favre the whole time.

I actually like Madden and don't get me wrong I like Favre but I'm tired of talking about it. This is a new team and it's time to talk about them but I guess they just have to win for that to happen.
Offline IronMan  
#19 Posted : Friday, September 5, 2008 4:15:31 AM(UTC)

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 117
Madden may be annoying sometimes. But he is no idiot.
Offline ChilliMaddensChilli  
#20 Posted : Friday, September 5, 2008 6:25:57 AM(UTC)

Madden is my favorite person alive.
Rss Feed