Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline IronMan  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2009 5:47:40 PM(UTC)
IronMan

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 14
Applause Received: 53

In light of the Jay Cutler situation, how would you feel if the Packers attempted to trade Aaron Rodgers, after they told him he was the man?

As a fan, I would be pissed. When this story first broke, I thought Cutler was being a big baby, and perhaps he is. But then I read this quote from twobrian5 at Packershq forum.

Quote:
We all can critize Ted Thompson for different things, but one thing we can't was his handling of Aaron Rodgers. When he drafted Brian Brohm, he told Brohm that Rodgers was the QB and it wasn't a competition. When Favre wanted to come back, he traded Favre and then gave Rodgers a long-term contract extension. Could you imagine how we'd feel about Thompson if he had dealt with Rodgers like the Broncos have handled Cutler? I give Thompson a lot of credit for the way he's handled Rodgers.

And I agree.

I think your qb has to know he is the guy.

What do you think?
Sponsor
Offline MassPackersFan  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:00:37 PM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 7

That whole situation is ugly, and I think Bus Cook made it more so for some $$.
UserPostedImage
Offline bozz_2006  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:04:05 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 11

I think Josh McDaniels is off to an awesome start! Go Broncos!
UserPostedImage
Offline MassPackersFan  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:06:01 PM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

Applause Given: 1

:lol: No kidding. Next, I predict he trades Brandon Marshall to Detroit for the rights to Charles Rogers and Barry Sanders.
UserPostedImage
Offline Rockmolder  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:06:24 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 147
Applause Received: 237

Really helps to look at it from another side aswell.

I think McDaniels did the wrong team, but that's the case all around the league. I mean, the Bears promised Orton the starting spot this year, he was 'Their guy' and now their mingled in all kinds of trade talks for Cutler, if you can believe the media.

I guess it's the way you look at it. From a business point of view, they work for you. They just have to do their work, they have a contract.

Looking at it from the other side, the one I'm on, you should just be honest with your players. If they had had a meeting about this before the trade talks, instead of lying, it still would've meant an upset Cutler, but it would've been easier to stop this thing before it got this big.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:17:38 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,022

[img]http://www.packershome.com/zGraphics/Public/aircutler[/img]

While I point a lot of my blame toward Cook on this deal and the similar traits to last season, I think Cutler is being thin skinned about this whole deal as well. But that doesn't mean I think Denver isn't got a fair share of the blame either.

But the facts are, the Broncos thought someone else could do a better job in the role they wanted than Cutler, the deal melted, but instead of crying about the deal, use it as motivation to excel even higher.

But look, in the game of football the QB's are treated like a princess. They are babied, catered to and "showered" with compliment after compliment.

At ever other position you have a starter and then a rotation of guys that fill positions and playing time, but at the QB spot that is like taboo. This is one area of the game that drives me batty, are these guy's ego's and confidence really that fragile that they have to be reassured that they are the "man".

In this game, all roster spots should be written in pencil, if you earn the job on the practice field, in camp or in the games your name goes on the top. It happens at all the other positions upon the team year in and year out.

But these candy ass babies have to be hand held and reassured that they are the "man".. give me a break. Grow a set along with a little confidence ya bunch of ninnies.

When I played, I took a special pride it popping the QB a little harder than the rest.. trying to knock that precious little coach given chip off their damn shoulder.

When you grow a plant in the shade, it will never be able to handle the sun.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:20:45 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,022

Oh BTW.. if Rodgers wasn't comfortable with an open competition last season, I would have a lesser opinion of him than I have now.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline doddpower  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2009 11:15:41 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,774
Applause Received: 418

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Oh BTW.. if Rodgers wasn't comfortable with an open competition last season, I would have a lesser opinion of him than I have now.

Good thing he was!!
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 9:14:52 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,841
Applause Received: 1,994

Good thing he was!!
He had no choice in the matter. Yes, he did handle it well, but really, he had no choice with the open competition. What was he going to say? "Wahh, but coach said I was the guy, he said I was the guy!!! Wahh". I mean damn, it was Brett freaking Favre! If you beat out Brett, the team is instantly on board with you! If you lose, well, you lost to Brett FREAKING Favre.

By not complaining he put himself in the best possible position. Which is what I think he does on the field as well. He puts the Packers in the best position possible.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline dfosterf  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 9:19:20 AM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 366

I think Josh McDaniels is off to an awesome start! Go Broncos!

...And GO Boy Wonder!!! (Dan Snyder). Let's see if you can infuriate your starting quarterback as much as Denver has infuriated theirs.

While they're at it, I hope half the league or more makes a push to get Cutler. Let's see how many starting quarterbacks some of these desperate fools pushing for this arrogant little liar's services can alienate. Karmic payback for last year.

I'm stocking up on popcorn. If this things strings out long enough, quarterbacks will be too busy moving to practice.
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 11:25:56 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

They are babied, catered to and rebuffed with compliment after compliment.

Are you sure you meant "rebuffed"? :D
UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 11:28:36 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

I am going to come out and say I would never want such a thin-skinned, immature quarterback on my team. Thank God Aaron Rodgers handled last off-season's drama with such equanimity. Cutler has flown off the handle at trade rumors. Can you imagine how he would have handled Rodgers' situation?

If you can't take a business transaction without pouting, how are you going to handle yourself in the pocket when the season's on the line?
UserPostedImage
Offline digsthepack  
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 11:30:19 AM(UTC)
digsthepack

What if it were Rodgers?? I would expect the GM to treat him the same way that he, and now the Broncos, have treated their QB who view themselves as being bigger than the organization.....I would ship his ass oof to some football purgatory.

I liked Cutler coming out, but he, and Cook, have proven themselves to be unworthy of any such feelings.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
Offline Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:12:33 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,841
Applause Received: 1,994

I am reading that people are blasting the Bronco's organization for how they're handling this. Volleying shots here and there and trying to defend themselves and its making them look worse. The funny thing? They're saying the Bronco's need to handle it like the Packers handled Brett last year. SHUT UP and do things outside of the public eye.

PS, I heard Cutler is trying to contact Greta ... anyone confirm this?

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline ILikeThePackers39  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:19:39 PM(UTC)
ILikeThePackers39

I think that if football was like a family then I'd handle the situation pretty much like McDaniels and co. handled it.

But it's not, and whether Cutler is just being thin-skinned or not, McDaniels has really put himself in a nasty situation, especially for a 32-year-old first-time head coach. We see how fans act all the time on a board like this, and if the Broncos look bad next season the fans will have one hell of a whipping post to work with.

Ideally, Cutler would have sucked it up and played the game. But crap, if the best QB ever can't keep his panties from bunching at every perceived slight, why is anyone surprised at this kid's reaction?

The ideal world versus the real world - in the real world, McDaniels screwed the pooch. He'll either get lucky and get away with it, or it'll screw his career right up.
blank
Rss Feed