Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#26 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 1:12:17 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

No gloating in Green Bay: Packers mum about Favre's '08 tailspin

From wire reports

Despite his generally successful efforts to rehabilitate the talent-stricken roster he took over in 2005, Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson has had a hard time winning over fans. He isn't much of a schmoozer and isn't inclined to make the sort of free agency splash that stokes fans' passion during cold Wisconsin winters.
And that was before he became the guy who traded Brett Favre.

But as Favre's season with the New York Jets collapsed in a flurry of interceptions, losses and criticism from teammates, it began to look like Thompson did the right thing especially after Favre's replacement, Aaron Rodgers, put together a solid season.

But if Thompson is enjoying any sense of vindication, he will keep it to himself.

"I'm not going to get into that debate, ever," Thompson said. "Not now, not ever."

In Thompson's mind, such discussions are best left to fans and the media. Besides, there's not much gloating to be done when the team he put together finished a disappointing 6-10.

But while Thompson doesn't spend much time refuting his critics or justifying his decisions, he hopes fans don't take his quietness as a sign he doesn't care.

"I think it's important for the people to know that we're trying as hard as we can to do right by the Packers," Thompson said. "That is important to me. Whether they agree with what we do day in and day out doesn't affect us as much. It's not fantasy football. You can't just reshuffle the deck and (say) 'OK, we'll do this.' But I don't mind the criticism when we do poorly and people want to point the finger at me because that's where it should be pointed."

True, Thompson assembled the team that went 13-3 in 2007 and came within a Favre overtime interception of the Super Bowl. But he also is responsible for the tweaks made to last year's team, which consistently faltered in the fourth quarter.

What happened? Thompson said the answers aren't easy or obvious.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy fired most of the team's defensive coaching staff and is looking for replacements. The Packers also are looking for a new special teams coordinator; Mike Stock retired after the unit he oversaw took a major step backward.

But some of the Packers' poor performance can be traced back to several significant injuries. The Packers, once again the NFL's youngest team last season, found their backups weren't ready to replace the veterans they lost.

Some tried to draw a straight line between the Packers' youth to a lack of leadership, perhaps providing a reason THE reason? the team faltered in so many close games.

Veteran cornerback Charles Woodson appeared to be solidly in that camp, calling on the Packers' front office to bring in some veterans.

"Well, Charles is a very bright guy, so I'm not going to dispute what he says," Thompson said. "Other than to say that, you know, we were in a bunch of close games that we didn't win, and I think it's a little too simplistic to say that we were too young."

Thompson landed Woodson and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett as veteran free agents before the 2006 season, but since then has only dabbled in free agency.

But while he generally prefers to improve through the draft and hold on to players with contract extensions, Thompson insists he isn't against free agency.

"Let's just correct something: We don't hate free agency," he said.

He just won't go on a spending spree for its own sake.

"If you're in the market and that's what it's called, the 'market' at a particular position and there's nothing that really strikes your fancy, then what's the point?," Thompson said. "I have always said this: I think free agency is an excellent way to address particular needs or concerns."

With an important caveat: "If everything fits."

Thompson said fans often overlook the unintended consequences of bringing in a high-priced free agent: Players already on the team might demand new deals, and bringing in a free agent might mean not being able to re-sign an existing player.

"Now that doesn't mean that you don't do it, it doesn't mean it's not the right thing," Thompson said. "But you don't do it haphazardly. You don't get do-overs."

The Packers also don't get a do-over on the Favre situation. But given the way Favre's season ended and the way Rodgers played, they might not want one.

Thompson still is reluctant to revisit the situation. But he did acknowledge it was a tough time for him and McCarthy, who bore primary responsibility for the decision to trade Favre.

"It was hard, but I think it was hard for everybody," Thompson said. "I think it was hard for the person sitting on the couch in Kenosha. It was a unique time."

To nobody's surprise, Favre again is mulling retirement. But for the first time in years, the Packers aren't the ones waiting to find out whether their quarterback is coming back.

But even without that drama, Thompson figures something else is bound to come up.

"You're dealing with 50 60, at this point in time different players and different families and all different kind of circumstances, so things come up," he said. "We won't be immune to that."

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#27 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 1:13:08 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I am SO happy we already went through our quarterback mess last season and have it behind us. I still don't get the interest the Broncos had in changing the offense around. I was pretty sure their offense was top 5 last year and their defense was close to the worst in the entire NFL.

Say this with me...

"We have our quarterback of the future."

Aah... feels good :)

I love AR, but we got to get him an OL.

He took a lot of unnecessary hits last year and if he continues like that, I'm fearing he'll end up like David Carr.

With protection, I sincerely believe Aaron Rodgers has the talent to be an NFC Pro Bowl Representative. But Ted Thompson has got to get him a line.

But yes, he stays healthy and we got a QB for the next 5-10 years. That's far more than da Bears, the Lions, or the Vikings can say.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Zero2Cool  
#28 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 1:34:43 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,226

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/37266424.html

I can't find the damn thing. This sucks. I swear it though, Thompson said you can add a defensive player to fit your defense, and you can't do the same with offensive players. That offensive players have to grow within the system.

We had a damn discussion about it here too. I can't believe I can't find this.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline DarkaneRules  
#29 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 1:44:19 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

Well his opinion if it IS that will take a backseat to Mr. Capers because he believes it is just as important for defensive players to grow within a system.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline dhazer  
#30 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:20:55 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 203

[img]http://www.packershome.com/zGraphics/Public/aircutler[/img]

While I point a lot of my blame toward Cook on this deal and the similar traits to last season, I think Cutler is being thin skinned about this whole deal as well. But that doesn't mean I think Denver isn't got a fair share of the blame either.

But the facts are, the Broncos thought someone else could do a better job in the role they wanted than Cutler, the deal melted, but instead of crying about the deal, use it as motivation to excel even higher.

But look, in the game of football the QB's are treated like a princess. They are babied, catered to and "showered" with compliment after compliment.

At ever other position you have a starter and then a rotation of guys that fill positions and playing time, but at the QB spot that is like taboo. This is one area of the game that drives me batty, are these guy's ego's and confidence really that fragile that they have to be reassured that they are the "man".

In this game, all roster spots should be written in pencil, if you earn the job on the practice field, in camp or in the games your name goes on the top. It happens at all the other positions upon the team year in and year out.

But these candy ass babies have to be hand held and reassured that they are the "man".. give me a break. Grow a set along with a little confidence ya bunch of ninnies.

When I played, I took a special pride it popping the QB a little harder than the rest.. trying to knock that precious little coach given chip off their damn shoulder.

When you grow a plant in the shade, it will never be able to handle the sun.

Z that got a +1 from me. Every player on the team should feel like they could lose their starting job. You as a coach make them think that and it will give them that edge which is lacking in the nfl now by most teams. If you think you might lose your job you will practice and play harder.

But to answer the thread i wouldn't care what Ted Thompson did because Rodgers really don't have alot to stand on. Atleast Cutler was a Pro Bowl qb already but what i hate is this seems like its going to be the norm every year from now on in the NFL. It didn't start last year here in Green Bay i think it started a few years ago with TO in SF and then again in Philly. You whine enough and you will get your way.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline RaiderPride  
#31 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 6:26:02 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 120
Applause Received: 212

PS, I heard Cutler is trying to contact Greta ... anyone confirm this?

Funny.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Offline RaiderPride  
#32 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 6:34:23 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

But to answer the thread i wouldn't care what Ted Thompson did because Rodgers really don't have alot to stand on. Atleast Cutler was a Pro Bowl qb already but what i hate is this seems like its going to be the norm every year from now on in the NFL. It didn't start last year here in Green Bay i think it started a few years ago with TO in SF and then again in Philly. You whine enough and you will get your way.

Brett whined last year and did not get his way.

Brett was also a Pro Bowl QB last year, and no one wanted him this year.

NO?
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Offline Cal2GreenBay  
#33 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 6:56:27 PM(UTC)
Cal2GreenBay

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 30

Aaron DID go through what Jay Cutler went through.

In his 3rd summer he was rumored to be going to the Oakland
Raiders for Randy Moss.

Ted Thompson completely denied it and WHO KNOWS what really
happened, but Aaron and his agent got assurances that he was safe
and moved on.

The BIG difference is that Aaron was not a starting QB at the time
and didn't have the leverage that Jay Culter has.

Either way..I think Thompson and McCarthy are much more straightforward(or it appears) than Josh McDaniels.

Josh was just trying to do the Patriots mantra of that no one player
was bigger than the team. He failed to realize he as a coach HAS NOT WON ANYTHING, and he's doing the cart before the horse. BELICHECK can do that because he's proven himself as a coach. McDaniels thought his reputation would precede him.

I predict disaster for Josh McDaniels.

Unfortunately, this really does shift the balance of power for the Chicago Bears. Now we have another dynamic young QB (who also happens to be good friends w/Aaron) to face twice a year.

GREEEEAT JOB JOSH MCDANIELS. It's one thing to mess up your own team, but thanks for making it harder on the Packers in the Norse division.
blank
Offline zombieslayer  
#34 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 7:04:03 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Brett whined last year and did not get his way.

Brett was also a Pro Bowl QB last year, and no one wanted him this year.

NO?

Goes to show about age.

In my not so humble opinion, BF was the 2nd best QB in the NFL in '07 (after of course Tom Brady). He was electric. Led a team with NO running game to a 7-1 record, then went on to finish 14-4 with the youngest team in the NFL.

But age is cruel to an athlete. Heck, ask Jeff Garcia. I happen to really like Garcia and wonder why nobody's gobbled him up yet. Actually, I shouldn't wonder because the guy's older than I am. Even Kurt Warner, teams look at him like he's got a two year life expectancy, if that, and the guy led a team that had no business even having a winning record to the SB.

But Cutler has something Brett Favre and Jeff Garcia don't have - his 20s.

Also ask Jeff George. If you ask Jeff George, he'll tell you he's a top 16 QB in the NFL if someone took a chance on him. Is he or is he full of himself? I don't know, I don't know him personally, but he has Michael Silver convinced he should be worth someone taking a chance and Silver actually knows half the NFL personally.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline dannychau22  
#35 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 7:19:28 PM(UTC)
dannychau22

looks like cutler to the bears!
blank
Offline RaiderPride  
#36 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 7:27:39 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Goes to show about age.

In my not so humble opinion, Brett Favre was the 2nd best QB in the NFL in '07 (after of course Tom Brady). He was electric. Led a team with NO running game to a 7-1 record, then went on to finish 14-4 with the youngest team in the NFL.

But age is cruel to an athlete. Heck, ask Jeff Garcia. I happen to really like Garcia and wonder why nobody's gobbled him up yet. Actually, I shouldn't wonder because the guy's older than I am. Even Kurt Warner, teams look at him like he's got a two year life expectancy, if that, and the guy led a team that had no business even having a winning record to the SB.

But Cutler has something Brett Favre and Jeff Garcia don't have - his 20s.

Also ask Jeff George. If you ask Jeff George, he'll tell you he's a top 16 QB in the NFL if someone took a chance on him. Is he or is he full of himself? I don't know, I don't know him personally, but he has Michael Silver convinced he should be worth someone taking a chance and Silver actually knows half the NFL personally.

Best post I have read in a while on any forum.

You make total sense, and it is educational. Well, to me it is.... Gave me a different perspective on the subject.

Well done
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#37 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2009 6:19:23 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

Can we please lay off the yammering about how Cutler has a Pro Bowl berth and Rodgers doesn't? For one thing, Cutler has played for 3 seasons; Rodgers, for 1. For another, Favre was nominated to the Pro Bowl last year in a season in which he lead the NFL in interceptions, so that shows how worthwhile Pro Bowl honors are. Furthermore, Rodgers didn't get Pro Bowl consideration because a) his team was 6-10 and b) he was third in the NFC in total yards, touchdown passes, and quarterback rating, in a season in which Drew Brees threw for a mind-boggling 5,069 yards and 34 TDs (96.2 RTG) and Kurt Warner threw for an outstanding 4,583 yards and 30 TDs (96.9 RTG). If you count Rodgers' 4 TD runs, he was second in the NFC in total TDs. In any ordinary season, Rodgers' numbers are Pro Bowl calibre -- possibly even MVP-worthy. But 2008 was no ordinary season for the NFC.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed