Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:10:09 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,891
Applause Received: 2,088

Quote:
With Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers looking like a poised veteran in his first career start against a solid Vikings defense, the career of 49ers coach Mike Nolan could be on the brink of implosion in San Fran.

Nolan, who held final say over personnel during his first two years with the team, picked Alex Smith over Rodgers. Smith largely has been a train wreck, and Rodgers is looking early on like a keeper.

Aaron Rodgers is good, a league source opined to us on Monday night. Hes so much better than Alex Smith that its sad. . . . They picked wrong.

hah... interesting
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Greg C.  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:13:19 AM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

Yep, interesting. I'm still half inclined to believe that theory about the Niners blitzing Rodgers heavily in the preseason game to avoid the embarrassment of having him put up big numbers against them on their home field. I think it was Mike Florio who had mentioned that as well.
blank
Offline bigfog  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:13:19 AM(UTC)
bigfog

More like the 49ers brass's worst nightmare. Nolan's nightmare was accepting the job offer from a clearly inept franchise.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
Offline bozz_2006  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:14:59 AM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 13

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline tromadz  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:18:40 AM(UTC)
tromadz

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 34

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Quote:
With Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers looking like a poised veteran in his first career start against a solid Vikings defense, the career of 49ers coach Mike Nolan could be on the brink of implosion in San Fran.

Nolan, who held final say over personnel during his first two years with the team, picked Alex Smith over Rodgers. Smith largely has been a train wreck, and Rodgers is looking early on like a keeper.

Aaron Rodgers is good, a league source opined to us on Monday night. Hes so much better than Alex Smith that its sad. . . . They picked wrong.

hah... interesting

Didn't McCarthy come from san Fran too? So Nolan let Mike McCarthy go? UhOH!
Offline Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:21:41 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

lol
UserPostedImage
Offline zoogies  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:29:18 AM(UTC)
zoogies

The only problem is that this isn't logical.

If they picked Rodgers and broke him in as a rookie, without the benefit of learning behind anybody (much less one of the greatest QBs to take the field), who knows where Rodgers would be right now?

It could just as well be Rodgers as the tried-and-done bust, with Smith as the guy who's been waiting in the wings and just now is starting to show his stuff on some other team.
blank
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:31:47 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

If they picked Rodgers and broke him in as a rookie, without the benefit of learning behind anybody (much less one of the greatest QBs to take the field), who knows where Rodgers would be right now?

It could just as well be Rodgers as the tried-and-done bust, with Smith as the guy who's been waiting in the wings and just now is starting to show his stuff on some other team.

I think Rodgers riding the pine helped him be a better QB. I think throwing a QB in the fire right away is wrong.
UserPostedImage
Offline bigfog  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:33:45 AM(UTC)
bigfog

I think Rodgers riding the pine helped him be a better QB. I think throwing a QB in the fire right away is wrong.

I dunno, it really depends on the person. Peyton Manning was thrown in there on day one, and he's done very well. Same can be said for John Elway.

I think it largely depends upon the player and the coaching support that they've got around him. It's painfully obvious that Alex Smith has had no support from the 49ers.

It's a shame.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:34:50 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I dunno, it really depends on the person. Peyton Manning was thrown in there on day one, and he's done very well. Same can be said for John Elway.

I think it largely depends upon the player and the coaching support that they've got around him. It's painfully obvious that Alex Smith has had no support from the 49ers.

It's a shame.

I think theres a huge difference between those two situations. The Colts put players around Peyton, the 49ers have no put players around Alex Smith.
UserPostedImage
Offline Greg C.  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:35:06 AM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

Excellent point. But I will point out that fans are not always logical, and sometimes GM's aren't either. Especially when the QB who Nolan did not pick grew up near the Bay Area, starred for Cal, and always wanted to play for the Niners. This just doesn't look good for Nolan.
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:39:47 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 1,042

It's a shame.

Agreed, it really depends on the makeup of the individual.. they have to have alot of conviction in their abilities.. and realize that you are going to struggle if you start right away at times.. but keep learning and growing.. but there has to be that commitment from the franchise as well.

I will always remember Aikman's first year.. he got pummeled endlessly.. but you could see that fire.. I think that is the fire the Packer brass this offseason.... that he was physically and Mentally ready.. sitting learning for a couple years isn't the worst thing.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline bigfog  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:43:44 AM(UTC)
bigfog

It's a shame.

I think theres a huge difference between those two situations. The Colts put players around Peyton, the 49ers have no put players around Alex Smith.

No, the 49ers have definately not done Alex Smith any favors. Their receivers remind me of Green Bay's back before Ted Thompson got to town. Frank Gore is decent enough, and their offensive line is average.

But, the 49ers have had what, 3 different offensive coordinators since Smith's been in the league? How's a QB, who played primarily the spread in college, ever supposed to grasp the NFL when he gets into the league, when his coordinator is constantly being changed?

The 49ers have no one to blame but themselves for Smith's failure. Bay area fans deserve better from their team.
Offline Cal2GreenBay  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:06:41 AM(UTC)
Cal2GreenBay

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 28

The only problem is that Alex Smith came from a gimmicky offense at UTAH and never grasped the west coast offense..which he learned from Mike McCarthy no less.

Your explanation is logical, but the x-factor here is the acumen and talent
difference of the two QBs. A.Smith NEVER grasped this offense. Aaron did.

If all things were equal, EVEN IF Alex Smith sat behind Favre for 3 years..
it doesn't replace his lack of imagination, throwing ability(he telegraphs his throws) and his over analyzing of his reads.

That's sheer ability difference not things being equal.

You are making an EXCUSE that Aaron is ONLY succesful from his situation.
Not the case. Many have been groomed like this and have failed.

Give the guy a LITTLE bit a credit
and give Alex Smith a LOT of credit for being a bust.
blank
Offline porky88  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 2:43:04 AM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 187
Applause Received: 366

Well you don't know what would of happen. What we do know is Alex Smith is a bust in San Francisco. So that's pretty much means everything is fair game as far as I'm concerned with Nolan.

Plus you heard grumblings that the 49ers threw the house at Green Bay in the pre season based on the fact that they wanted to make sure Rodgers looked bad due to added pressure on Nolan.

My guess is Florio is probably on to something here.
Rss Feed