You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline evad04  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 2:59:22 PM(UTC)
evad04

Applause Given: 56
Applause Received: 67

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Off to a good start no doubt, but I would like to see a couple of weeks before I crown him completely. Don't take that the incorrect way, everything he has done to this point save the SF game this season has shown that he has "IT".

But again.. I want to see it for a couple of weeks before I will acclaim that he is our next QB for the long term.

But if this is the trend for the year, which at this point seems likely, we have a keeper in this gent.

I understand what you mean by not wanting to "crown" Aaron Rodgers just yet. At the same time, quarterbacks can go on for entire seasons without making the necessary plays and suddenly they perform like superstars. Case in point: Eli Manning. I don't think he's that great of a QB, but it's hard to argue with his postseason performance. For the majority of the season he was that guy who couldn't produce or that guy people had a hard time believing was "the answer." Okay, so the point I'm trying to make is that it might always be too early to make an evaluation, because you can't predict how things will go. So even if Rodgers plays well for six weeks in a row, he might go down with an injury or some other crazy thing. What it means -- again, trying to navigate this very tenuous point -- is that we support him right NOW and we hold off on "evaluations." I mean, if he does it long enough he's a superstar and the evaluation is made. But in the meantime, we should focus on Detroit. Rodgers is my quarterback right now even though I don't know how long he'll sustain a high level of play.

I'm not saying anything you don't already know (or probably believe). I'm just putting it all on the table. I'm not "sold" on Rodgers yet, either, but I don't know realistically if you CAN be sold on anyone. How do you draw the line? Three weeks? A half-season? Situational performance (i.e. pressure situations, big games, two-minute drill)?
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.

"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Offline TengoJuego  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:06:18 PM(UTC)
TengoJuego

United States

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 1

I'm tired of comparing him to Brett, throughout the game I forgot about Brett, but Jaws and Kornheiser would constantly remind me. I hate it, let him be Aaron. I don't want to compare him to Brett.
Offline DGB454  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:07:06 PM(UTC)
DGB454

United States

Applause Given: 15
Applause Received: 7

I was most impressed with his calmness. That's hard to fake and comes from being confident in your abilities and believing in the players around you.

There is more talent on this team than on you normally find on 3 teams.
Offline Pack93z  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:08:32 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 936

Evad... I agree with the principle of what you are saying, albeit I classify injury in a separate category than being able to play at a consistent level game in and out. But you are correct.. you can't say much until a player does it over a period of a couple of years with different variables around them.

While I think the QB spot in some corners is over-rated, I will say that it is the one position where you need consistency more than any other. That is what I want to see out of Rodgers, the ability to do it week in and out. He proved that he has "IT" ability, now he just has to project that week in and out.

Nice cleanup Evad.
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:37:30 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

I'm tired of comparing him to Brett, throughout the game I forgot about Brett, but Jaws and Kornheiser would constantly remind me. I hate it, let him be Aaron. I don't want to compare him to Brett.

Me too. I'm tired of hearing it.

Brett vs Aaron is apples vs oranges. Two completely different playing styles.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline bavpb  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:29:13 AM(UTC)
bavpb

Me too. I'm tired of hearing it.

Brett vs Aaron is apples vs oranges. Two completely different playing styles.

Same here!

IMO comparing him to Alex Smith, the guy that beat him in the draft, would make much more sense. I think patiently waiting for his turn and learnig from one of the best ever, gives him the edge now.

Have a nice day,
Harald
It was a tight game, and it swayed back and forth. And sure enough, he pulled out a victory at the end...
I swear to you, he smiled while he was doing it. He smiled til the end.
We’ll miss you, gunslinger.
Offline zombieslayer  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:54:42 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Same here!

IMO comparing him to Alex Smith, the guy that beat him in the draft, would make much more sense. I think patiently waiting for his turn and learnig from one of the best ever, gives him the edge now.

Have a nice day,
Harald

Bingo!
+1

If you want to compare apples to apples, compare Rodgers to Alex Smith. Or compare Rodgers to Tarvaris Jackson. Or Eli Manning. These are the same generation QBs. Sure, Eli's had more playing time because Aaron Rodgers was backing BF all this time, but they're about the same age.

I just know being in SF, there is a lot of talk around here that they should have grabbed Aaron Rodgers instead of Alex Smith. Should have, could have, would have. I love hearing it.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers