Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline bigfog  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:15:06 PM(UTC)
bigfog

I'm still giddy over last night's win, but I thought I'd start some discussion on the upcoming Sunday match up.

Detroit lost to the Falcons on Sunday, who were led by rookie Matt Ryan. Ryan played well, completing 9 of 13 passes for 161 yards and 1 TD. Obviously, being a rookie, Ryan's play book was reeled in a bit, but in his first start he wasn't bad.

Running backs Michael Turner and Jerious Norwood did most of the heavy lifting for the Atlanta offense. Turner ran for 220 and 2 TDs, and Norwood provided 93 yards and a TD. Essentially, the Lions D was run over, around and through, leaving nothing but a greasy spot on the floor of the Georgia Dome.

The offense of the Lions was mostly successful through the air. Kitna threw 22 passes for for 262 yards and 2 TDs. He also had an interception and was sacked by John Abraham 3 times.

Detroit's rushing offense still pines for Barry Sanders, as their top runner, Kevin Smith, managed 48 yards on 16 carries. He did provide one TD however. Rudi Johnson, in his Lion debut, carried 3 times for 14 yards.

Stacking the Lions against the Packers, it will be interesting to see how Ryan Grant and co fair against the Lions run defense. If Turner and Norwood can do what they did, I'll be interested in seeing what Mike McCarthy has cooked up.

Aaron Rodgers, of course, will be one to watch as well. The last time Green Bay fans were able to watch a quarterback mature, was a long long time ago. I hope that Rodgers displays more of the same play that he had on Monday night and last year's game against the Cowboys.

I really hope that Rodgers doesn't have the same tendency to go nuts in a dome like Favre did. Say what you will about Favre outdoors, when he stepped into a dome, he just seemed out of his element. Last season in Dallas, Rodgers played fine in a stadium that's half-dome and half-not. I hope he displays the same tenacity in Detroit.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
Sponsor
Offline porky88  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:28:36 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 184
Applause Received: 350

I think this is a good game to really use Grant and Jackson in. I have high expectations for both of them. I wouldn't mine seeing Grant see about 20 to 25 carries and Jackson getting at least 10 on his own. I think Rodgers is going to have a small workload to deal with but then again a QB always has to be on their toes because of Detroit mans up, we'll have to throw.

I would assume they'll be putting an emphasis on stopping the run this week too.

Defensively I thought GB handled the best RB in the NFC pretty good so Kevin Smith doesn't really put much fear into me in my opinion.

Really it's going to come down to Harris and Woodson vs. Williams and Johnson defensively. It'll be interesting how the Lions try and utilize their receivers on them.
Offline zombieslayer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:31:22 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

MM will gameplan accordingly. He's really good at finding weaknesses and exploiting them.

I think their weaknesses are obvious. Expect Aaron to throw under 20 passes. Expect Grant and Jackson to have a lot of fun. Expect Kampy to get his 2nd sack.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline brnt247  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:31:37 PM(UTC)
brnt247

I think the Pack will play it like they normally do. Short and efficient passes with a couple of deep balls, and a few stretch plays with Grant hitting a home run or two.
blank
Offline johnny_blood  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:43:41 PM(UTC)
johnny_blood

Unless the Lions shock us and jump out to a big lead, Rodgers isn't going to throw many passes. They are going to hammer the run game here.

Rodgers isn't going to really fling it until the Dallas game.

The Lions look terrible and are probably going to get dominated.
blank
Offline bigfog  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:45:27 PM(UTC)
bigfog

Anyone think that there will be a Lumpkin sighting in this game?
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
Offline Packnic  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:53:02 PM(UTC)
Packnic

I think we will throw the ball maybe 35 times Sunday against the Lions.

They will be working all week on shoring up the run game so that Ryan Grant wont kill them.

Meanwhile M M staying 2 steps ahead of his competition as usual will have a passing attack from every angle. out of the backfield, over the top, on slants and lots of short stuff.

expect the unexpected and expect to see the BIG 5! in action early and often.
blank
Offline Rios39  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:36:19 PM(UTC)
Rios39

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 30

I'd spread it out. Jones back would be huge. He's a pretty big component that we missed in short yardage situations maybe a gain of 6-7 on a slant or curl or out route. IMO we missed that aspect as Jennings is more of a HR hitter. Driver is more similar to Jones.
blank
Offline gbpfan  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:57:21 PM(UTC)
gbpfan

Applause Received: 3

if the d-line steps up i see kitna on the ground alot kamp will get a sack or 2 kgb will snag him our o-line i agree think they will run the ball alot :icon_smile:
blank
Offline warhawk  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:00:45 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Received: 215

Think they miss Shawn much there in the middle of the DL?

These are the kind of games Mike McCarthy can use all the negative plays against the Vikes to keep them focused. We need focus because we don't always play that great in Detroit and it's a look-ahead game which doesn't help.

Thank God it's not Thanksgiving.
"The train is leaving the station."
Offline Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:02:23 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

I kind of feel bad for the Lions. I think were gonna drown them like misfit kitties.
UserPostedImage
Offline IronMan  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:08:41 PM(UTC)
IronMan

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 30
Applause Received: 56

Long live Matt Millen.
4 more years!
Offline zombieslayer  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:15:27 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Anyone think that there will be a Lumpkin sighting in this game?

I do.

I think we should go for 3 100 yard rushers in the same game. Let Grant rush for 100 yards, then take him out and put in Jackson and keep him in until he gets 100, then put in Lumpkin.

Would we be the first team in history to do that? That's what I'd do if I were Mike McCarthy . That would be cool.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline bozz_2006  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 8:14:56 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 12

I was actually really impressed with our D-line against the Vikings. yeah, AP made them look kind of foolish at times, but they held him in check. only one big run. and the pass rush looked great. lots and lots of pressure against an excellent O line.
UserPostedImage
Online buckeyepackfan  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 8:51:30 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 278
Applause Received: 392

One thing T. Jackson was able to do was scramble out of trouble and pick up some first downs, but he sure didn't throw very well, Kitna on the other hand can throw the football but is not very mobile, so IMHO The Packer defense will be able to pressure Kitna and get sacks or cause turnovers.

Someone mentioned it earlier, hope to see THE BIG 5 FORMATION on Sunday!!!!
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
Rss Feed