Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
djcubez  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:41:25 PM(UTC)
The Packers rolled out the red carpet for Aaron Rodger's in sloppy fashion. So sloppy in fact, that it looked as if the offense was trying to score in the wrong end zone. The first two drives of this game, while racking up plenty of possession time, lost more yards through penalties eventually resulting in a 1-and-33 situation. The next few plays reminded me of the reason we got rid of Mike Sherman; poor play-calling. I can't remember the last time I saw such conservative gameplan. For us Packer fans who have never witnessed a longer offseason it seemed as if were in store for a much longer regular season. Surprise, surprise, that was about to change.

. [url=index.php?name=Pro_News&aid=82]Read More...[/url].
MassPackersFan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:28:00 AM(UTC)
Grant was really sore by halftime. He'll get more carries later on, don't you worry!
Cheesey  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:23:16 AM(UTC)
And even with all that, we STILL won!!!
Greg C.  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:55:30 AM(UTC)
I am willing to forgive the O-line for all the penalties, because the pass protection was very good. I doubt very much that we will see that many penalties from the O-line in one game again this season. By the way, I don't think they are really all that young and inexperienced. Colledge, Spitz, and Moll are all in their third seasons now. They should be entering their primes. But Colledge and Moll have already been passed up by rookie Josh Sitton, who will most likely return to the lineup in a couple weeks, when his injury heals. Hopefully we can get Wells back in there very soon as well.

Clifton had three penalties and Tauscher had one, so the older guys had their share of screw-ups. And from what I've heard, Moll's penalty on the would-be Driver TD was not his fault. When the QB checks out of a running play at the line of scrimmage without telling anyone but the receiver, you run the risk of a lineman getting downfield.
eap33  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:45:24 PM(UTC)
What was the deal with Mike McCarthy running down the clock 21 seconds on 3rd down to kick a fieldgoal?! Coulda taken another shot at the endzone and still had plenty of time to kick.

Not to mention the fact that the kick was missed :-s :mad:
DarkaneRules  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:48:47 PM(UTC)
He did call the game a bit too conservative in spots. I hope he gets back some edge as the season goes on. If you have confidence in Rodgers, then do not EVER second guess yourself when making calls to try and put the game away. In the Vikings game, they made a gutsy call on 4th and 1 and it worked out for them big. It got them RIGHT back into the game. That is the kind of mentality we need to put into action.
Greg C.  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:43:26 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
What was the deal with Mike McCarthy running down the clock 21 seconds on 3rd down to kick a fieldgoal?! Coulda taken another shot at the endzone and still had plenty of time to kick.

Not to mention the fact that the kick was missed :-s :mad:


Here's the deal: If he had called a timeout right away, then ran the third down play, and it ended with a sack or a completion in bounds, there probably would not have been time to get the field goal unit onto the field (a spike is not an option on fourth down, of course).

If he had saved the timeout, they could've gotten the play off with maybe 20 seconds left, but because they were already in field goal range, the only useful play would be an end zone heave, which the Vikings would be expecting. This would have a very low chance of success, and they would have run the risk of an interception, or more likely, a sack or penalty (there had been plenty of those already) which would turn a short field goal into a long one.

So McCarthy went for the "sure" three points to turn it into a two-score game. But then Crosby inexplicably took a divot and missed it. Yes, McCarthy played it conservatively, but it was justified. If they had passed on third down, there would have been a much better chance of a bad outcome than a good one.
djcubez  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:25:02 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
What was the deal with Mike McCarthy running down the clock 21 seconds on 3rd down to kick a fieldgoal?! Coulda taken another shot at the endzone and still had plenty of time to kick.

Not to mention the fact that the kick was missed :-s :mad:


Here's the deal: If he had called a timeout right away, then ran the third down play, and it ended with a sack or a completion in bounds, there probably would not have been time to get the field goal unit onto the field (a spike is not an option on fourth down, of course).

If he had saved the timeout, they could've gotten the play off with maybe 20 seconds left, but because they were already in field goal range, the only useful play would be an end zone heave, which the Vikings would be expecting. This would have a very low chance of success, and they would have run the risk of an interception, or more likely, a sack or penalty (there had been plenty of those already) which would turn a short field goal into a long one.

So McCarthy went for the "sure" three points to turn it into a two-score game. But then Crosby inexplicably took a divot and missed it. Yes, McCarthy played it conservatively, but it was justified. If they had passed on third down, there would have been a much better chance of a bad outcome than a good one.

You're right but it could have all been avoided if they hadn't thrown a 3 yard flat route in-bounds on 2nd down.
Greg C.  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:43:31 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
You're right but it could have all been avoided if they hadn't thrown a 3 yard flat route in-bounds on 2nd down.


Yeah, that was Brandon Jackson failing to get out of bounds. I think there were two plays in a row where he caught short passes and failed to get out of bounds. But the first priority was to get into field goal range. I would've liked to have seen some more throws downfield, but maybe there just wasn't anybody else open.
Cheesey  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2008 8:23:28 AM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
He did call the game a bit too conservative in spots. I hope he gets back some edge as the season goes on. If you have confidence in Rodgers, then do not EVER second guess yourself when making calls to try and put the game away. In the Vikings game, they made a gutsy call on 4th and 1 and it worked out for them big. It got them RIGHT back into the game. That is the kind of mentality we need to put into action.

I agree 100%.
But i THINK it was because of the circumstances. Rodgers first game and all.
I think now that he has seen that Rodgers isn't going to choke, he will open things up again.
zombieslayer  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2008 1:35:11 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post

You're right but it could have all been avoided if they hadn't thrown a 3 yard flat route in-bounds on 2nd down.


Bingo!
That whole drive was bad clock management.

Now, I hope some moron doesn't read this as complaining, but rather a learning experience. You learn from your mistakes and don't repeat them. I'd like to see better clock management as the season progresses.
zombieslayer  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2008 1:36:18 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
He did call the game a bit too conservative in spots. I hope he gets back some edge as the season goes on. If you have confidence in Rodgers, then do not EVER second guess yourself when making calls to try and put the game away. In the Vikings game, they made a gutsy call on 4th and 1 and it worked out for them big. It got them RIGHT back into the game. That is the kind of mentality we need to put into action.


Perfect!
+1
Rss Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Fans wondered what he was smoking
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Funny talk about Watkins, LeRoy Butler suggested a trade for him a few years ago on FB
Zero2Cool (17-Jan) : Report: Landry wants Davante Adams-type deal -
Zero2Cool (17-Jan) : Packers bring in Sammy Watkins, you will ALL shite your pants
buckeyepackfan (17-Jan) : How long till we here the fire alarms go off in the middle of the night !!!
buckeyepackfan (17-Jan) : cheatin' bastards!!!! :)
Zero2Cool (16-Jan) : Patriots have no end to what they'll do for a win!
Zero2Cool (16-Jan) : RB Leonard Fournette was involved in a minor accident today when his car was rear-ended.
Zero2Cool (16-Jan) : Packers safeties coach Darren Perry interviewing with Texans
Zero2Cool (15-Jan) : Damarious Randall has hand surgery
Cheesey (15-Jan) : Man, talk about dumb luck. The Saints defense on that last play looked like the Packers D.
Zero2Cool (15-Jan) : "Skol Vikings!" It is the team's Viking war chant ... Inspired by Iceland's national soccer team
Zero2Cool (15-Jan) : Packers not playing sure makes playoff weekend less tense.
Nonstopdrivel (15-Jan) : I am slowly recovering from cardiac arrest. What an ending. What a freaking ending!
Mucky Tundra (15-Jan) : DONT BLOW THIS NEW ORLEANS
Smokey (14-Jan) : The"CHAT" is very open !
Zero2Cool (14-Jan) : Damn Saints giving them the game
Nonstopdrivel (14-Jan) : Mariota just ran up the white flag.
Zero2Cool (14-Jan) : Titans OL not too good without Conklin
KRK (13-Jan) : Schwartz defense looking very porous
Nonstopdrivel (13-Jan) : Get yo asses in the chat room, mofrackers!
Smokey (13-Jan) : YES, CHAT
Nonstopdrivel (13-Jan) : Anyone going to be in the chat room for the game?
Nonstopdrivel (13-Jan) : As much as I'd love to experience playoff football, I'm not interested in paying that kind of money to go by myself.
Rockmolder (13-Jan) : Are you thinking about going?
Nonstopdrivel (13-Jan) : Last I checked, there are still tickets available. And they're not too bad: $145 on up.
Nonstopdrivel (13-Jan) : The temps around here are dropping fast and the wind is kicking up. I wonder if that will favor Philly.
Rockmolder (13-Jan) : You'd hope that something will happen before march and the FA window opening.
beast (12-Jan) : I believe the Packers did file a grievance to get the non-2017 signing bonus money back, but I haven't heard when the grievance will be heard
Rockmolder (11-Jan) : In terms of bonus money and that $4.2 million cap hit in 2018.
Rockmolder (11-Jan) : Has there been any news on Bennett? Can't find anything, but I'm not on Twitter.
Rockmolder (11-Jan) : Become a bandwagoner. Live the easy life of no frustrations and constant wins.
Nonstopdrivel (11-Jan) : Problem with that is . . . after the man retires, which team do you follow? Do you just give up football altogether?
Nonstopdrivel (11-Jan) : "My wife since divorced the Packers realizing she was truly a Brett Favre fan." --PackInSteel
Zero2Cool (11-Jan) : raw theme, raw forum, enhanced software! ohhh snap
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2017 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
SEAHAWKS
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 7:30 PM
at Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 3:25 PM
BENGALS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Oct 8 @ 3:25 PM
at Cowboys
Sunday, Oct 15 @ 12:00 PM
at Vikings
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 AM
- BYE -
Monday, Nov 6 @ 7:30 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
at Bears
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
RAVENS
Sunday, Nov 26 @ 7:30 PM
at Steelers
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 10 @ 12:00 PM
at Browns
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
at Panthers
Saturday, Dec 23 @ 7:30 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 12:00 PM
at Lions
Think About It
Think About It
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / warhawk

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

18-Jan / Fantasy Sports Talk / TheKanataThrilla

17-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / isocleas2

17-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

16-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

15-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

14-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

Headlines