Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Formo  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 9:59:27 PM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Anything less is being a nice guy and nice guys finish last in real life and do not get the girl.


I can understand your opine, as well as your passion. This is what makes you one of my favorite reads.

However.... If he went down.... HE WOULD STILL HAVE GOT THE GIRL. Not only, would he have got the girl, he would have played it safe.

Ask any girl....

SHE WILL TELL YOU TO PLAY IT SAFE, And if you want to really make me happy... Go Down First.


HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!

That's funny.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline zoogies  
#17 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 4:49:32 AM(UTC)
zoogies

Rank: Practice Squad

Joined: 8/11/2008(UTC)


Hahahaha, niiiice one RP.

ZS, I get what you're saying, but I don't think that applies here. Yes, you want to be aggressive and you want to win by a lot - but that should be done in the middle of the game.

In this context, the game is on the line. With the pick, he's just won the game, and he should do everything to protect the 'W', because the risk of losing it is definitely there. If this were the Super Bowl for instance, no question, you'd want him to just down it and finish the game.

It's not the super bowl, but it still matters...well, RP put it best :)
blank
Offline 4PackGirl  
#18 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:53:24 AM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 12/17/2006(UTC)
Location: illinois

Applause Given2: 159
Applause Received: 124

i KNEW there was a reason i liked RP!!!! ;)

having said that, you HAVE to take a knee after that INT. zombie you said there's nothing like stickin it to the opposing team - there's also nothing like a fumble that costs US the game at the very end!! i don't think that's conservative - i think that's just smart!! :D
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#19 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:05:38 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 183
Applause Received: 413

In that case..........you drop to the ground, period. ONLY bad can come from trying to run it back in that situation. We had the game won, which is the ONLY thing that matters. As long as he is up, someone can strip the ball, putiing us in a position to lose the game. And that would be the ONLY way we could possibly lose the game in that situation.
It's not being conservative, it's being smart.
Now, not going for a TD at the end of the first half, THAT was dumb. You have that much time, you take a shot. We had one timeout left, so it's not like you have to worry about the clock running out without getting the FG try off. If we had had no timeouts, then i say what he did was ok.
But as we saw, a FG is NOT a given. Play to win, not to not lose. You never know if you will get another shot at a TD or not. Plus it woul;d have been a HUGE blow to the Vikings, maybe demorilizing them for the 2nd half. Instead, the blocked FG gave them momentum, and COULD have cost us. (Lucky for us it was the Queens on the field!)
I don't think Mike McCarthy will make that mistake again. I think alot of it was because of this being AR's firsts game, and the Vikings and all.
UserPostedImage
Offline IronMan  
#20 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:09:45 AM(UTC)
IronMan

Rank: Pro Bowl

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 72
Applause Received: 86

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
In that case..........you drop to the ground, period. ONLY bad can come from trying to run it back in that situation. We had the game won, which is the ONLY thing that matters. As long as he is up, someone can strip the ball, putiing us in a position to lose the game. And that would be the ONLY way we could possibly lose the game in that situation.
It's not being conservative, it's being smart.
Now, not going for a TD at the end of the first half, THAT was dumb. You have that much time, you take a shot. We had one timeout left, so it's not like you have to worry about the clock running out without getting the FG try off. If we had had no timeouts, then i say what he did was ok.
But as we saw, a FG is NOT a given. Play to win, not to not lose. You never know if you will get another shot at a TD or not. Plus it woul;d have been a HUGE blow to the Vikings, maybe demorilizing them for the 2nd half. Instead, the blocked FG gave them momentum, and COULD have cost us. (Lucky for us it was the Queens on the field!)
I don't think Mike McCarthy will make that mistake again. I think alot of it was because of this being AR's firsts game, and the Vikings and all.

I agree 110 %.
Offline zombieslayer  
#21 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:38:18 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Well, folks, I'm standing by my man.

Atari Bigby - Pro Bowl 2008. You heard it here first.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Pack93z  
#22 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:43:22 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 397
Applause Received: 1,075

He certainly is "Jammin" in that direction Zombie.. hope his arm is okay.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#23 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:44:13 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,033
Applause Received: 1,471

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Well, folks, I'm standing by my man.

Atari Bigby - Pro Bowl 2008. You heard it here first.


I hope so. I hope he gets 10 INTs and returns 9 of them to the House. His 1st one however, TAKE A KNEE!

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#24 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:46:54 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,033
Applause Received: 1,471

Pack93Z I like your sig. I was at Pearl a couple of years ago and went to the USS AZ and USS MO. What a thrilling day for me.
I did not see the USS OK plaque. Is that something new?

UserPostedImage

Offline Pack93z  
#25 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:50:03 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 397
Applause Received: 1,075

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Pack93Z I like your sig. I was at Pearl a couple of years ago and went to the USS AZ and USS MO. What a thrilling day for me.
I did not see the USS OK plaque. Is that something new?


Yep.. within the past few years.

wpr.. you might like this thread.. http://www.packershome.c...wtopic&p=13875#13875

I coped that line from today's article.. thought it was fitting in so many ways.


On topic.. seal the deal with a knee young man, but I understand the excitement it must have been.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#26 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:22:57 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 183
Applause Received: 413

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Well, folks, I'm standing by my man.

Atari Bigby - Pro Bowl 2008. You heard it here first.

Please don't misunderstand Zombie..........i stand by Bigby 100% too! ALL i mean is, do the smart thing in that situation. If you have a 100% chance of winning by just getting down on the ground, you do that. And think of this.........had he scored, you do 2 things. You run up the score on your most hated rival, which you have to play again this year, giving them more drive to beat you next time. Second, you now have to kick off to them. What if they take it to the house on the kickoff? They now have almost a minute left on the clock to try an onside kick, which if they recover they can now beat you. Yes, it would be a long shot, but why give away a 100% for certain win, for a 99% for certain win?
You can BET Bigby got an earful from the coach after the game.
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#27 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2008 2:00:20 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

Please don't misunderstand Zombie..........i stand by Bigby 100% too! ALL i mean is, do the smart thing in that situation. If you have a 100% chance of winning by just getting down on the ground, you do that. And think of this.........had he scored, you do 2 things. You run up the score on your most hated rival, which you have to play again this year, giving them more drive to beat you next time. Second, you now have to kick off to them. What if they take it to the house on the kickoff? They now have almost a minute left on the clock to try an onside kick, which if they recover they can now beat you. Yes, it would be a long shot, but why give away a 100% for certain win, for a 99% for certain win?
You can BET Bigby got an earful from the coach after the game.


Ok. We run up the score and they get all butt hurt. Am I shaking in my boots when we have a rematch? Hell no. Bring it. :ramboface:

Point 2 - We score again and we have to kickoff. Fine. We now have a 12 point lead instead of a 5 point lead. Do you know how many onside kicks were successful against us last year? Zero. And it will be zero this year as well. Look who we have in there - I seem to remember Donald Driver in there. He'd bitch slap the entire Vikings team then take the ball in his left hand, bitch slap them again, and take a knee. I'm not worried.

My whole point is this game was played too conservatively. Way too conservatively. We won by only five points. I don't like it one bit. If the rematch is this close, I'm going to be pissed.

Why do Packer fans have such low expectations for this team?

Point 3 - This is Atari Bigby we're talking about, not A**** C******. Spider Monkeys do not fumble the football when the game is on the line. Atari Bigby is clutch. He's a guy I'd want in my anti-zombie compound.

Have some faith in this '08 team. This is football, a game where aggression is a good thing. This isn't soccer, folks. Put 'em away and make 'em regret getting on the field with us. I want to see Childress getting anti-depression medication after playing us. My Lord. Y'all are too friendly and seem like you'd rather hug than demolish the Vikings.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Packers_Finland  
#28 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2008 3:05:07 PM(UTC)
Packers_Finland

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/11/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 88
Applause Received: 45

:sign3:

Take "Stupid" out, and put "Zombie" in. I think you should go for it, nail in the coffin. Bigby won't fail like that, because as Zombie said, he's clutch.

Edit: Not that I don't like going down when my girlfriend tells me to.
This is a placeholder
Offline Cheesey  
#29 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2008 5:14:48 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 183
Applause Received: 413

Zombie Zombie Zombie......what am i gonna DO with you???
Like i said.....i KNOW the chances of losing in that situation are SLIM. But SLIM to me is too much if A CERTAIN WIN is the other option. Fall down, we win no matter what. Don't fall down, you MIGHT score (which he didn't) AND you take the chance of a fumble, allowing the other team to have a chance they wouldn't have to beat you.
I'm all for putting the hurt on the other team. If there had been 3 minutes left in the game, you try to take it to the house. With ONE minute left, and the other team out of timeouts, you fall to the ground and start the celebration.
There's "conservative play calling", and theres SMART football. Falling down in that situation is smart football, not being conservative. It's sealing the victory.
JMO of course.
UserPostedImage
Offline TeamGB  
#30 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2008 9:01:24 PM(UTC)
TeamGB

Rank: Fresh Cheesehead

Joined: 9/11/2008(UTC)


Having played on D for a few years at University, and intercepting a few Picks, I understand the whole legs not wanting to stop.

The adrenalin really does get pumping as you see the ball come towards your hands, and then you feet just wanna run like you havent run before... going straight down, even in the 4th period had never entered my head, your feet and heart say to run that back allll the way!
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages<123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / cheeseheads123

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

24-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

24-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

24-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann