Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
6 Pages«<456
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Heatherthepackgirl  
#76 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:21:22 AM(UTC)

Rank: Registered
Joined: 10/22/2006(UTC)
Applause Received: 1
" said: Go to Quoted Post
cheesey, When I called you a Favre basher I am referring to how you view him the last couple of years.

You in fact (IMHO) do bash him regarding his decisions. Every thing that comes out in the media you immediately assume that he is a media whore and is milking everything (see your posts above) rather than rely on what you have known of him for the last 17 yrs.

While I know you have loved him for many years and respect what he has done, it seems as though you have taken an about face with him.

I really don't know anyone on this forum that really wants Favre to beat GB. I do hear (and feel this way myself) that many want Favre to do well but NOT at the expense of the Packers.

One CAN support Favre AND the Packers. The correlation to Sharper, longwell, and Fergie is irellevant. Those were not the face of the packers for over a decade. Nor were there many people who never knew another leader of their beloved pack.

This whole "more or less" of a packer fan is stupid, as is say one one of us is more of a fan than another. I would say that no one is more of a fan than myself yet I believe many are as big a fan as I am.

Why do our discussions denegrate to this level?



I totally agree with this post, but couldnt have put it into my own words any better then this post by Tripp. :)
Offline Pack93z  
#77 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:15:28 AM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

Rank: Select Member
United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Applause Given: 410
Applause Received: 1,130
You don't know how good it feels not to give a pinch if Brett plays this year or not... I visit our neighbors to the west online just to watch the emotions get twisted and have this relieved feeling.

He will always be a legendary Packer.. regardless of what he chooses to do... he just happens not to be on the current roster at this moment.

Would I rather him bury the ax and return to his rightful place within the shelters of the Packers as a happy alum.. you bet your ass.. but he doesn't seem ready for that yet.. and there is nothing really wrong with that either.

But I do happen to get a chuckle out of some of the Viking fans that have embraced him already and now are getting twisted around.. almost as entertaining as the thought of VikesRule cheering Brett on come fall. ;)
Offline 4PackGirl  
#78 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:13:25 PM(UTC)

Rank: Member
Joined: 12/17/2006(UTC)
Location: illinois
Applause Given2: 170
Applause Received: 125
my vikings hubby doesn't want anything to do with favre. i find it humorous to be on the other side of the coin as well. i hope he does whatever is best for him. i don't want him to get hurt or end on a bad note. but as a packer fan - his decision has no effect on me whatsoever.
Offline MassPackersFan  
#79 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:36:59 PM(UTC)

Rank: Member
Joined: 9/16/2007(UTC)
Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 7
I have yet to talk to a Vikings fan who wants Favre to play for them. That concerns me a little bit, on Favre's behalf, but I'm amused as hell by what this has all done to their fanbase. Lots of chewed fingernails, I think.

However, the Vikings do have another choice:

Quote:
So we're taking a closer look at the latest effort by quarterback Jeff George to return to the NFL, and we're told that the effort has been sparked by video of a recent workout that already is making the rounds in the NFL and the UFL.

The tape was created roughly three weeks ago, showing George throwing to incoming freshman at Illinois. We're told that Illinois head coach Ron Zook was blown away by the performance, and he began beating the bushes to get George a second chance.

"I coached against him when I was in the National Football League, and he was out there just throwing the ball around and I was like, 'Holy smokes.' He looked like he did when I coached against him," Zook told IlliniHQ.com. "He was throwing the ball on the money. He can throw all the balls. He looks about 25 years old, and I was very impressed with where he is right now."

We're in the process of getting a copy of the video, and maybe we'll figure out a way to post some of it here.

Meanwhile, we're hearing that some NFL scouts have responded to the video very favorably.

That said, George still faces an uphill battle. He's 41, and his reputation for not being a team player continues to resonate.

As one league source told us told, "Regardless of his skill set, he was hated by his teammates and was never a leader."

Still, the positive aspect of being 41 is that George necessarily has matured. So if a guy who admitted to involvement in dogfighting and gambling and killing dogs in all sorts of grotesque and arguably psychopathic ways can get another chance, maybe Jeff George should, too.

We're not saying he should be signed to a contract or given a starting job. But if he has been able to persuade Zook, a former defensive coordinator in the NFL, that George still has it, George should get a fair chance to show what he can do.

As a reader pointed out in the comments, it's at a minimum ironic that the Vikings currently are sniffing around 39-going-on-60-year-old Brett Favre less than two years after Minnesota coach Brad Childress scoffed at signing George, saying that describing George as being on the downside of his career would be kind, and suggesting that George go to a "fantasy camp or something."

There's actually a not-so-laughable argument to be made that George -- who clearly wants to play -- has more left in the tank than the guy who still doesn't know what the hell he wants to do.
Offline longtimefan  
#80 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:58:31 PM(UTC)

Rank: Registered
Joined: 11/30/2006(UTC)
Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21
" said: Go to Quoted Post
is tomorrow the day? ;)


I was right?

wow

;)
Offline Formo  
#81 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:59:52 PM(UTC)

Rank: Veteran Member
Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 216
Applause Received: 154
" said: Go to Quoted Post
I have yet to talk to a Vikings fan who wants Favre to play for them. That concerns me a little bit, on Favre's behalf, but I'm amused as hell by what this has all done to their fanbase. Lots of chewed fingernails, I think.

However, the Vikings do have another choice:

Quote:
So we're taking a closer look at the latest effort by quarterback Jeff George to return to the NFL, and we're told that the effort has been sparked by video of a recent workout that already is making the rounds in the NFL and the UFL.

The tape was created roughly three weeks ago, showing George throwing to incoming freshman at Illinois. We're told that Illinois head coach Ron Zook was blown away by the performance, and he began beating the bushes to get George a second chance.

"I coached against him when I was in the National Football League, and he was out there just throwing the ball around and I was like, 'Holy smokes.' He looked like he did when I coached against him," Zook told IlliniHQ.com. "He was throwing the ball on the money. He can throw all the balls. He looks about 25 years old, and I was very impressed with where he is right now."

We're in the process of getting a copy of the video, and maybe we'll figure out a way to post some of it here.

Meanwhile, we're hearing that some NFL scouts have responded to the video very favorably.

That said, George still faces an uphill battle. He's 41, and his reputation for not being a team player continues to resonate.

As one league source told us told, "Regardless of his skill set, he was hated by his teammates and was never a leader."

Still, the positive aspect of being 41 is that George necessarily has matured. So if a guy who admitted to involvement in dogfighting and gambling and killing dogs in all sorts of grotesque and arguably psychopathic ways can get another chance, maybe Jeff George should, too.

We're not saying he should be signed to a contract or given a starting job. But if he has been able to persuade Zook, a former defensive coordinator in the NFL, that George still has it, George should get a fair chance to show what he can do.

As a reader pointed out in the comments, it's at a minimum ironic that the Vikings currently are sniffing around 39-going-on-60-year-old Brett Favre less than two years after Minnesota coach Brad Childress scoffed at signing George, saying that describing George as being on the downside of his career would be kind, and suggesting that George go to a "fantasy camp or something."

There's actually a not-so-laughable argument to be made that George -- who clearly wants to play -- has more left in the tank than the guy who still doesn't know what the hell he wants to do.


First off, I never was opposed to Favre in purple, but I wasn't throwing my eggs in his basket, either.

Secondly, George has made comments about wanting to try out somewhere (if my memory serves me right), and I wouldn't be against that either. I don't know why Chilly doesn't give him a chance.

Anyway..

Any betting lines on Favre changing his mind again?
Offline dhazer  
#82 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:05:49 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Rank: Veteran Member
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 74
Applause Received: 271
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
is tomorrow the day? ;)


I was right?

wow

;)



Don't fall over but good call LTF :)

you da man

so will he stay retired?
Offline longtimefan  
#83 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:08:09 PM(UTC)

Rank: Registered
Joined: 11/30/2006(UTC)
Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
is tomorrow the day? ;)


I was right?

wow

;)



Don't fall over but good call LTF :)

you da man

so will he stay retired?


I say its 50-50 lol

I honestly thought he was flying into Minny tonight..

But that was the word a few days ago and also was told he could change his mind
Offline dhazer  
#84 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:10:32 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Rank: Veteran Member
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 74
Applause Received: 271
Ok the latest from the hobonews:

If the Packers are struggling late in the year Ted Thompson and Brett have the plan of having Brett coming back to finish the year out as a Green Bay Packer and he will take his last hooray.
Offline dhazer  
#85 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:20:36 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Rank: Veteran Member
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 74
Applause Received: 271
I just heard he had his mind made up last Monday but childress wanted him to rethink it. After he told Childress his decision is when the text messages started coming from the players on the Vikes to change his mind
Offline Cheesey  
#86 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:46:12 PM(UTC)

Rank: Honored Member
United States
Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 436
Applause Received: 610
Well....Childress was probably playing the odds, knowing Favre's history.
Can't blame ol' Chilly for trying.
On a side note..........I wonder if there was a betting line in Vegas on this, and what were the odds? (If anyone knows, post it, cause i really wonder if there was)
Offline dhazer  
#87 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:37:29 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Rank: Veteran Member
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 74
Applause Received: 271
from 2008

Bodog Life has posted betting odds on whether Favre will be back in the NFL. Bodog has placed 21/20 odds that Favre rejoins Packers before start of season. Other odds are 4/1 on him rejoining the Packers after the start of the season, 6/1 odds that he will be playing for another NFL team from game 1 and 14/1 odds that he'll play for another NFL team after the start of the season.

There are some other NFL betting props at Bodog including a head-2-head matchup of top running backs. Who will have more rushing yards between Adrian Peterson and LaDanian Tomlinson. Tomlimson is -125
Offline Cheesey  
#88 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:02:45 PM(UTC)

Rank: Honored Member
United States
Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 436
Applause Received: 610
Thats amazing....geez.....people will bet on ANYTHING, won't they?
Offline MassPackersFan  
#89 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:08:23 PM(UTC)

Rank: Member
Joined: 9/16/2007(UTC)
Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 7
I like those 14:1 odds...
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
6 Pages«<456
Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error


Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : new keyboard!
Porforis (17h) : Zero's gone? Where?
gbguy20 (17h) : the troll is gone!!
greengold (23h) : Is that a surprise Zero?
Zero2Cool (1-Sep) : NO!!!!!! Packers placed Jordy Nelson on IR.
Zero2Cool (1-Sep) : Michael Rodney: OLB Adrian Hubbard has been released.
Zero2Cool (1-Sep) : Whoa, Jared Abbrederris might practice today!!
Zero2Cool (1-Sep) : Panthers cutting WR Jarrett Boykin
Smokey (31-Aug) : Matt Blanchard = Trade Bait
Zero2Cool (31-Aug) : Matt Blanchard?
Zero2Cool (30-Aug) : Doubt any QB is cut before Thursday. I want to see more of Matt and Brett.
Smokey (30-Aug) : Why be a guest, come join us today !
Zero2Cool (30-Aug) : Hyde is the injury I'm most concerned about. Cobby fine.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout

Road To Super Bowl 50
Sunday, Sep 13 @ 12:00 PM
at Bears
Sunday, Sep 20 @ 7:30 PM
SEAHAWKS
Monday, Sep 28 @ 7:30 PM
CHIEFS
Sunday, Oct 4 @ 3:25 PM
at 49ers
Sunday, Oct 11 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Oct 18 @ 3:25 PM
CHARGERS
Sunday, Oct 25 @ 12:00 AM
- BYE -
Sunday, Nov 1 @ 7:30 PM
at Broncos
Sunday, Nov 8 @ 12:00 PM
at Panthers
Sunday, Nov 15 @ 12:00 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 22 @ 12:00 PM
at Vikings
Thursday, Nov 26 @ 7:30 PM
BEARS
Thursday, Dec 3 @ 7:25 PM
at Lions
Sunday, Dec 13 @ 3:25 PM
COWBOYS
Sunday, Dec 20 @ 3:05 PM
at Raiders
Sunday, Dec 27 @ 3:25 PM
at Cardinals
Sunday, Jan 3 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS

Think About It
Think About It

Recent Topics
36m / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackerTraxx

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / FLORIDA PACKER88

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackerTraxx

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / RainX

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Bigbyfan

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Barfarn

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

1-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / DakotaT

1-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

31-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / musccy


Tweeter