Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Bigbyfan  
#16 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 4:00:52 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Applause Given: 21
Applause Received: 71

I don't like those quotes from Greg Jennings. That got me a little worried. You never want a guy saying that he is auditoning for 32 teams, not just the Packers.
blank
Offline Packers_Finland  
#17 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 4:17:03 PM(UTC)
Packers_Finland

Applause Given: 88
Applause Received: 44

Give Greg the biggest deal possible. Then clone him into 25 productive units.
This is a placeholder
Offline Greg C.  
#18 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 4:35:48 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

Of the players mentioned in the article whose contracts will expire within the next two years, the only two that I would count as must-haves are Aaron Rodgers and Greg Jennings. We'll see about Clifton and Tauscher. I hope they remain healthy and productive, but at their age, Thompson may not want to break the bank for them. Pickett, Jolly, and Blackmon would be nice to keep if they stay healthy.

Players mentioned in the article who I regard as fairly easy to replace are Colledge, Moll, Spitz, Collins, and obviously Chillar. And KGB may be at the end of the line by then.

So if you look at it this way, the "numbers crunch" may not be too bad.
blank
Offline Packnic  
#19 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 4:36:57 PM(UTC)
Packnic

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I don't like those quotes from Greg Jennings. That got me a little worried. You never want a guy saying that he is auditoning for 32 teams, not just the Packers.

well as much as i would love for Greg Jennings to say... I love the Packers and I will never leave as long as they will have me. it is after all, a business and i think the "other 31 teams" quote was something the staff was preaching in camp if i remember correctly. Its just a fact, everytime you step on the field you are either increasing your pay day or ruining it. So come 2009 when the Packers want to sign you but dont have the funds, you can get signed by another team. The NFL is a business at its core, and money will always come first.

this will be interesting because there is a lot of dudes fighting for a set amount of money. but thats the beauty of the draft young and resign your guys philosophy. This is where Ted Thompson and his staff make their money. With smart drafting and sensible contract negotiations, this team will be good for years to come.
blank
Offline Packers_Finland  
#20 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 4:37:48 PM(UTC)
Packers_Finland

Applause Given: 88
Applause Received: 44

Of the players mentioned in the article whose contracts will expire within the next two years, the only two that I would count as must-haves are Aaron Rodgers and Greg Jennings. We'll see about Clifton and Tauscher. I hope they remain healthy and productive, but at their age, Thompson may not want to break the bank for them. Pickett, Jolly, and Blackmon would be nice to keep if they stay healthy.

Players mentioned in the article who I regard as fairly easy to replace are Colledge, Moll, Spitz, Collins, and obviously Chillar. And KGB may be at the end of the line by then.

I don't think Spitz is in any way easy to replace. I believe in Harvey... Jason Spitz.
This is a placeholder
Offline Packnic  
#21 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 4:45:03 PM(UTC)
Packnic

I don't think Spitz is in any way easy to replace. I believe in Harvey... Jason Spitz.

yeah i would agree... Spitz is probably the 3rd best lineman we have right now. his versatility will ensure his roster spot for years.

but colledge, moll and Chillar.... haven't proven themselves to be irreplacable.
blank
Offline Greg C.  
#22 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 4:48:10 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

Spitz is definitely a notch above Moll and Colledge. But ideally, in 2010 we will still have Wells at center with Sitton and Barbre ready to play the guard positions (Sitton was already starting before his injury). If that's the case, Spitz would not be a high priority, high-dollar signing. Also, Thompson will have two more drafts to work with in that time span, so there will be other players in the mix as well.
blank
Offline Greg C.  
#23 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 4:54:36 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

yeah i would agree... Spitz is probably the 3rd best lineman we have right now. his versatility will ensure his roster spot for years.

but colledge, moll and Chillar.... haven't proven themselves to be irreplacable.

I would say that Spitz is our fourth best O-lineman, after Clifton, Tauscher, and Wells. And I think the coaching staff would say the same. And by the time you get down to your fourth best offensive lineman, you are usually not talking about someone who is irreplaceable. Not unless you have a really great O-line, and even then, there is only so much room under the salary cap.

Also, Thompson has a history of letting veteran interior O-linemen go: Wahle, Rivera, and Flanagan. That's a part of the team where apparently he would rather not invest large amounts of money.
blank
Offline Cheesey  
#24 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 5:29:25 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

Now....if Jennings keeps playing like he has so far, the Packer brass HAS to keep him here. He has developed into a big time #1 WR. I think he has replaced DD in that position. And i LOVE DD. Ted Thompson will get it done. If GJ is WILLING to sign this year to a long contract, it will get done.
UserPostedImage
Offline porky88  
#25 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 6:45:25 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 178
Applause Received: 335

I agree for the most part although I don't think GB would have to break the bank for guys like Colledge and Spitz. I also think you need to add Aaron Kampman to the must haves as well.

As far as people worrying about Jennings. GB will slap the franchise tag on him before he's allowed to test the market assuming we have a cap then. I would be really disappointed if he got away.

If Rodgers plays well then he's a lock to resign here in my opinion.
Offline bozz_2006  
#26 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 7:19:05 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 11

Spitz's versatility alone is reason enough to re-sign him
UserPostedImage
Offline gbpfan  
#27 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 7:25:33 PM(UTC)
gbpfan

Applause Received: 3

i'm glad i dont have to make those desicions
blank
Offline Bigbyfan  
#28 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 10:58:50 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Applause Given: 21
Applause Received: 71

Exactly, this year alone, Preseason/Regular Season he has played RG, LG, and Center
blank
Offline Greg C.  
#29 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2008 5:18:46 AM(UTC)
Greg C.

Exactly, this year alone, Preseason/Regular Season he has played RG, LG, and Center

Just to clarify: I like Spitz. He's the kind of player I would like the Packers to hang onto. I just don't see him as a player who would have a big effect on the salary structure. And porky's right, I forgot to mention Kampman. He is a must-have, of course--right up there with Rodgers and Jennings.
blank
Offline bozz_2006  
#30 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2008 8:29:07 AM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 11

I understand where you're coming from, since this thread is about the structure of the cap in future seasons, but i also don't see Spitz affecting the cap. What i did say is that we need to re-sign him.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed