Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline macbob  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:53:25 PM(UTC)
macbob

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Joined: 10/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 305
Applause Received: 252

Told my little boy (12) yesterday that Brett Favre had signed with the Vikings. I knew he loved Favre, but I was startled at the emotion in his reaction. He really started cheering, whooping it up big time, and said he hoped they beat the Packers!

Needless to say, I was shocked. I've been a Packers fan since the early 60s, suffered through the 70s & 80s, then enjoyed the success during the Favre years. There's no way for even a moment that I'd contemplate saying "I hope Brett and the Vikings beat the Packers!"

When I asked, he said he was still a Packers fan. But then he went on a rant (which is EXTREMELY rare with this guy, so I know this is something that's been on his mind) about how the Packers shouldn't have traded him to another team last year, hadn't treated him right etc.

We had a discussion about if you could call yourself a fan if you were rooting for another team to beat them, and he said it was just for 2 games, he'd root for the Packers during all the rest of the games!

I hadn't thought about it, but until last year, the only quarterback he's ever known for the Packers was Brett. So I'm cutting him a little slack, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to watch the Packers-Vikings games if my boy is going to be next to me cheering the bad plays and booing the good plays.
UserPostedImage
Offline longtimefan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:04:24 AM(UTC)
longtimefan

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 11/30/2006(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

closet time
Offline djcubez  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:16:51 AM(UTC)
djcubez

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 8
Applause Received: 13

Hey I'm 21 and consider myself a Packer's fan yet Rodgers is the only quarterback I've seen play QB besides Favre as long as I've been watching. All I really have to say is that if you ever root for a team to lose, you can't be a fan of that team plain and simple.
Check out my music webpage - Click Here
Offline Cheesey  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:34:10 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 202
Applause Received: 439

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Hey I'm 21 and consider myself a Packer's fan yet Rodgers is the only quarterback I've seen play QB besides Favre as long as I've been watching. All I really have to say is that if you ever root for a team to lose, you can't be a fan of that team plain and simple.

Thats the way i see it.
You are either a fan, or not.
Of course i guess you can be a "part time" fan.
Doesn't make any sense to me, but to each his own i guess.
UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:45:17 AM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

To give the kid some leeway, though. He's only 12. Not like he's oozing with wisdom.

Give him time. He'll see the err in his ways, and bleed purple full time!
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Cheesey  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:47:06 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 202
Applause Received: 439

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
To give the kid some leeway, though. He's only 12. Not like he's oozing with wisdom.

Give him time. He'll see the err in his ways, and bleed purple full time!

Hopefully!
Hopefully he will "bleed" all that bad purple out of his system! :thumbright:
UserPostedImage
Offline loosenut  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:00:18 AM(UTC)
loosenut

Rank: Practice Squad

Australia
Joined: 8/13/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 1

He's only 12! I remember when I was 12, the rugby league (type of football here in Australia) team I cheered for was the team who won the grand final the year before! Brett Favre is probably his hero.

Once he gets a bit older he'll realise that the team is more important then individual players. I'm not surprised a 12 year old Brett Favre fan is glad he's playing again... hell a little part of me is glad I get to see him slinging it around for another season or two... just as long as it isn't at the packers expense! :)
Offline TheEngineer  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 7:50:34 AM(UTC)
TheEngineer

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)


Rodgers will be playing long after Favre's retired*.

It'll be far easier for him to remember back on his teenage years with Rodgers as our QB than Favre who got traded by the Packers management.



* Not a guarantee.
blank
Offline flep  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:36:41 AM(UTC)
flep

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United Kingdom
Joined: 8/14/2008(UTC)
Location: UK

Applause Given: 58
Applause Received: 60

He is only 12 as you say

But is adoption an option????
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 30 years

UserPostedImage


I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
Offline Rockmolder  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:17:23 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 161
Applause Received: 263

It's not that weird actually. All that we're cheering for is a shell. Team colors. Nothing more. He's cheering for a guy with emotions and what not. Not saying that I'm going to follow Favre, but it's might even be more natural to follow your favorite player than following a team.

I remember that, when I was 10, Ruud van Nistelrooy went to Manchester. I pretty much became a Manchester fan at that point with PSV coming in second. It'll blow over, I figure.

I see how it might get quite annoying on sundays, though. Lol.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:37:52 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 669
Applause Received: 1,374

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

Once he gets a bit older he'll realise that the team is more important then individual players.



If only some of the otherwise intelligent posters on this forum would come to that realization, we could actual talk X's and O's instead of fighting so much over our ex-player rights.

12 year old boys do a lot of dumb things because of energy. 18 - 25 year old men do a lot of dumb things because of testosterone. Middle age guys do dumb things to regain their youth. And old guys like 93 and Dfoster just shake their heads and chew all of us out. Let him go through his progressions or just beat him now and straighten him out.
UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:09:03 AM(UTC)
dfosterf

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

United States
Joined: 8/19/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 430

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

Once he gets a bit older he'll realise that the team is more important then individual players.



If only some of the otherwise intelligent posters on this forum would come to that realization, we could actual talk X's and O's instead of fighting so much over our ex-player rights.

12 year old boys do a lot of dumb things because of energy. 18 - 25 year old men do a lot of dumb things because of testosterone. Middle age guys do dumb things to regain their youth. And old guys like 93 and Dfoster just shake their heads and chew all of us out. Let him go through his progressions or just beat him now and straighten him out.


Us old guys have a good heart, though. Take Barney the purple dinosaur, for example...

For the kids. :thumbleft:
























UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.



Offline Trippster  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:01:36 PM(UTC)
Trippster

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Received: 10

God, you make me laugh Dfosterf!!
"Let Your Light Shine!"
Offline mi_keys  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:38:02 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 227
Applause Received: 359

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Told my little boy (12) yesterday that Brett Favre had signed with the Vikings. I knew he loved Favre, but I was startled at the emotion in his reaction. He really started cheering, whooping it up big time, and said he hoped they beat the Packers!

Needless to say, I was shocked. I've been a Packers fan since the early 60s, suffered through the 70s & 80s, then enjoyed the success during the Favre years. There's no way for even a moment that I'd contemplate saying "I hope Brett and the Vikings beat the Packers!"

When I asked, he said he was still a Packers fan. But then he went on a rant (which is EXTREMELY rare with this guy, so I know this is something that's been on his mind) about how the Packers shouldn't have traded him to another team last year, hadn't treated him right etc.

We had a discussion about if you could call yourself a fan if you were rooting for another team to beat them, and he said it was just for 2 games, he'd root for the Packers during all the rest of the games!

I hadn't thought about it, but until last year, the only quarterback he's ever known for the Packers was Brett. So I'm cutting him a little slack, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to watch the Packers-Vikings games if my boy is going to be next to me cheering the bad plays and booing the good plays.


It could be worse, my younger brother became a Bears fan to spite my dad.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline macbob  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 7:36:43 PM(UTC)
macbob

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Joined: 10/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 305
Applause Received: 252

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Let him go through his progressions or just beat him now and straighten him out.


Reminds me of an the old Mad Magazine approach to raising kids (or was it training pets?):

A little love, a little patience, and a lot of beatings... ;p
UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 7:41:06 PM(UTC)
macbob

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Joined: 10/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 305
Applause Received: 252

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Rodgers will be playing long after Favre's retired*.


Which time?

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Rodgers will be playing long after Favre's retired*.


He already is...

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Rodgers will be playing long after Favre's retired*.


and unretired...and retired again...and unretired again...and...

As you can see, I was having trouble deciding which way to go...I feel a little bit like Brett... :tongue:
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:43:22 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 202
Applause Received: 439

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
God, you make me laugh Dfosterf!!

Yup! He got a plus one from me for that!!! :thumbright:
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:47:21 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 202
Applause Received: 439

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

Once he gets a bit older he'll realise that the team is more important then individual players.


UserPostedImage

Gotta have a SONG to go with that:
"I love me, you love me
there goes retirement number three
Minnesota's where i want to be
So i can stick it to T.T.!!!"
UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#19 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2009 12:24:57 AM(UTC)
macbob

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Joined: 10/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 305
Applause Received: 252

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

Us old guys have a good heart, though. Take Barney the purple dinosaur for example...



+1 lol

I showed the picture to my little boy. He was righteously indignant...

My wife has started humming the Barney theme around him... :icon_smile:
UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:21:59 AM(UTC)
macbob

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Joined: 10/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 305
Applause Received: 252

Our little boy has started to growl at us whenever we hum the "Barney" theme around him... ::twisted:

Was discussing the Packers preseason with my little boy, and mentioned that Rodgers had taken the team to touchdowns on 5 of 6 drives so far this preseason. He commented that he thought Rodgers was a good replacement for Brett. I'll have to get him a Rodgers jersey--the only one he's ever had/wanted was a #4.

He may end up rooting for the Pack when they play the Vikings, but I can't see him rooting against Brett--he'll want him to have a good day in any case.
UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#21 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 8:09:10 PM(UTC)
macbob

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Joined: 10/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 305
Applause Received: 252

Looks like maybe my little guy and I will be able to watch Packers games in the same room after all. He's back on the bandwagon (mostly), and has come up with a compromise position that I think I can live with:

He's rooting for the Packers to win, but he's rooting for Favre to do well, too. He wants Adrian to get stuffed, the receivers to catch Favre's passes and then fumble, etc.

His Mom's disgusted, though. He wears braces which come in different colors. Last time he went to the orthodontist he had them put on Packers colors. His Mom says everytime he smiles the green ones make it look like he's got food stuck in his teeth.
UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#22 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 9:14:51 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

United States
Joined: 8/19/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 430

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Looks like maybe my little guy and I will be able to watch Packers games in the same room after all. He's back on the bandwagon (mostly), and has come up with a compromise position that I think I can live with:

He's rooting for the Packers to win, but he's rooting for Favre to do well, too. He wants Adrian to get stuffed, the receivers to catch Favre's passes and then fumble, etc.

His Mom's disgusted, though. He wears braces which come in different colors. Last time he went to the orthodontist he had them put on Packers colors. His Mom says everytime he smiles the green ones make it look like he's got food stuck in his teeth.


I think I like your kid. Sounds like he has it figured out pretty good. :thumbleft:

+1 for a very good story.
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.



Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Laser Gunns

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Laser Gunns

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Laser Gunns

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / packman82

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / rabidgopher04

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

25-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Rios39

25-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

24-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr