Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline djcubez  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:02:55 PM(UTC)
djcubez

Applause Given: 8
Applause Received: 13

Alright, I'm sure this was mentioned during all the brew-ha-ha when it happened 1-2 years ago but I found this post in a forum that interesting:
Quote:
Just think if we had stuck with Favre in 2008, had a mediocre season, and went into 2009, maybe without Favre, probably without Rodgers, and Flynn as the probable starter unless they got a veteran QB to man the team for a year or two until Flynn was (hopefully) up to speed. For the longevity of the team, it made sense for Favre to leave.

Rodgers signed a 5-year contract in 2005 when he was drafted. If we had kept with Favre for 1-2 more years, Rodgers' contract would have ended and he probably wouldn't have signed with us. Now, the poster is even more wrong about having Flynn start because we wouldn't have drafted Flynn with Brohm already picked. All I'm saying is we moved on at a good time. If Favre ended his career after this year, Rodgers wouldn't be our QB and we'd be in a much shittier situation than we were when we got rid of Favre.

I'm not trying to bring up the whole Favre situation again (even though I am) but if you are truly thinking about the future of the team I'm glad we got Rodgers in when we did.
Check out my music webpage - Click Here
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:47:13 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

Favre might -- might -- have been able to buffer this team from some of the worst excesses of the past few years (though 4-12 indicates otherwise), but he wouldn't have been the difference between a losing season and a deep playoff run; that's for sure. Teams go through cycles, and this team has been in gradual but inexorable decline for several years. We can only hope that we are or have passed through in the nadir of the cycle and that things will begin to look up soon.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed