Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
5 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DGB454  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:56:55 PM(UTC)
DGB454

United States

Applause Given: 15
Applause Received: 7

Well.... It looks like there is a good possibility that my sons football season may be over before it started. There is a good possibility he has a miniscus tear in his knee. The miniscus is the thick cartildge between your thigh bone and your shin bone. He get's an MRI on Friday so we should know for sure after that. With all his symptoms I am pretty sure that's the problem though.

I am so depressed about it. I was really looking forward to this season. He beat out a senior for the fullback position and beat out another senior for the nose tackle position. The coach was going to make the call on which place they needed him most. The team was looking great and they looked like a sure thing for state this year. Now...well now it looks like they may make it without him. He has worked so hard all off season to get ready for this season. He is only 16 and is 6'1" at 216lbs. He was squatting 450lbs. and benching 320lbs. He dropped his 40 time from 5.02 last season to 4.7 this season. He made that time on his injured knee.
I don't even want to think what he could have done this season.

Now we wait as the 2 a days slip by with him sitting them out. Now I wonder if he will have lasting knee problems as he gets older.

Sometimes things just don't seem fair.

Damn !. ::cry:
Sponsor
Offline longtimefan  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 11:20:43 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

Sounds like he can play next year yes?

I had that injury and it isn't that / or wasn't that big of a deal for me..Was fine after about 8 weeks..But then again I wasn't trying to play football, but working LOL

but depends on how big of a tear it really is..
Offline Cheesey  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:12:46 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 354

Awww man......sorry to hear that! How did he tear it?
Today's medicine is pretty good, so hopefully it can be repaired and good as new!!!
Hang in there my friend!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline DGB454  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:24:25 AM(UTC)
DGB454

United States

Thanks guys. Not sure how he tore it. It may have been during lifting.
I think everything will work out OK.
I know it sounds selfish but I hate that he won't be out there this year making me proud. I'm proud of him even if he doesn't play but the joy of seeing him out there doing his thing on the field is a feeling I can't describe. He may only have this season and next year to play so every season is precious to me. Like I said..I know that sounds selfish but I can't help it.

Thanks again.
Offline Pack93z  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:12:05 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

DGB- Sorry to hear of the injury.. hopefully whatever they find in the knee, that he keeps his head up, recovers well and gets back on the field ASAP..

BTW.. not selfish.. just a proud Dad.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:56:20 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

Sorry to hear that. I always feel bad when there is an injury that keeps the kids from playing sports.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline longtimefan  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 12:19:37 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I know it sounds selfish but I hate that he won't be out there this year making me proud. I'm proud of him even if he doesn't play but the joy of seeing him out there doing his thing on the field is a feeling I can't describe. He may only have this season and next year to play so every season is precious to me. Like I said..I know that sounds selfish but I can't help it.

Thanks again.

Not to get on a soap box, but st least you have the chance to see your at least try out for the team.

I get to see my son watch kids play, run, jump etc, and have him ask why can't the doctors fix his muscles to where he can do that stuff

I may sound like I am being an a@@...... I am not triyng to be one..Just trying to put things in perspective..

Just know that your son is a lucky one and I would give my left arm and leg to have the chance for my son to even get a chance to try out..
Offline DGB454  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:25:32 PM(UTC)
DGB454

United States

Thanks again.

Not to get on a soap box, but st least you have the chance to see your at least try out for the team.

I get to see my son watch kids play, run, jump etc, and have him ask why can't the doctors fix his muscles to where he can do that stuff

I may sound like I am being an a@@...... I am not triyng to be one..Just trying to put things in perspective..

Just know that your son is a lucky one and I would give my left arm and leg to have the chance for my son to even get a chance to try out..

Understood. Nothing wrong with a soapboxing when it's called for.

You didn't sound like you were being an a@@ either.
Offline 4PackGirl  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:47:21 PM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 151
Applause Received: 123

most important thing is his knee. hope it's ok, dgb. i tore my acl & mcl in a skiing accident when i was 18. back then, all they did was scope it, clean it up a little, put me in a full leg cast, & did physical therapy. at that time, they told me i'd need full knee replacement within a few years. well it's now 21 years later & that knee is still holding together just fine! hopefully your son will have similar results if not even better.
UserPostedImage
Offline longtimefan  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:50:57 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

most important thing is his knee. hope it's ok, dgb. i tore my acl & mcl in a skiing accident when i was 18. back then, all they did was scope it, clean it up a little, put me in a full leg cast, & did physical therapy. at that time, they told me i'd need full knee replacement within a few years. well it's now 21 years later & that knee is still holding together just fine! hopefully your son will have similar results if not even better.

Exactly I feel if it is meant to be it will be..Can he prove people wrong and still play this year?
Offline wpr  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 3:08:27 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Thanks again.

That has got to be so hard LTF. I can not even comprehend what you have to face every single day.
One of the toughest things for me to endure was when I watched my son run a cross country race in extreme pain.
He could see that I was determined to pull him out of the race when he got to me. When I looked into his eyes I saw him pleaded with me to let him continue. I just let him run on past. Ended up practically carrying him from the finish line to the awards area.
We went to a Dr and got him orthotics.
You live with it every day.

UserPostedImage

Offline eap33  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:29:20 PM(UTC)
eap33

Applause Received: 3

My roommate just tore his meniscus, ACL and MCL while playing volleyball about 3 weeks ago. It's a re-aggravated football injury from when he tore his ACL back in college.

I hope your sons injury is as small as a meniscus tear. If it's more, he's in for 6-8 months of physical therapy and, according to my buddy, never being able to function 100% on an athletic level. I asked him how pro sports players were able to come back 100% and his answer was that they have the money and time to obtain around the clock care/therapy and "Pros are good enough to play well when their bodies are only at 70% or less."

Don't mean to be Debbie Downer. Just putting my limited knowledge on the table Eh?
NorCal Packer Backer.
Offline longtimefan  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:43:18 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

Thanks again.

That has got to be so hard LTF. I can not even comprehend what you have to face every single day.
One of the toughest things for me to endure was when I watched my son run a cross country race in extreme pain.
He could see that I was determined to pull him out of the race when he got to me. When I looked into his eyes I saw him pleaded with me to let him continue. I just let him run on past. Ended up practically carrying him from the finish line to the awards area.

FYi he is not with me EVERY day, me and his mom have joint placement

During summer months he is with me a lot...

Once school starts he is with me mostly on weekends unless he has off or is sick..
Offline yooperfan  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:45:14 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 543
Applause Received: 251

Sorry to hear about your son!
I've been through that, my oldest son had that issue as did my nephew.
My son after his surgery went on to win a state wrestling title and my nephew now wrestles for the University of Michigan.
Your son is young, it will all work out.
Offline wpr  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:51:08 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Thanks again.

FYi he is not with me EVERY day, me and his mom have joint placement

During summer months he is with me a lot...

Once school starts he is with me mostly on weekends unless he has off or is sick..

I knew that from our prior conversations. I am sure you still think about him and his situation nearly every day and that is good enuf for me.

UserPostedImage

Rss Feed