Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline zombieslayer  
#16 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 9:01:35 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

I'm refraining from voting. It's too close a call.

Me personally - tough call between Don Hutson, who changed the game of football forever, Bart Starr, who was simply the right man for Lombardi's O, Ray Nitschke, who led a dominating Lombardi D, and Brett Favre. I'd say Brett Favre but it's really not fair because I haven't seen the others I mentioned (except on videotape).

I really hate to not say Reggie White, but he didn't have the years with us that the others did. Best DE ever, and arguably one of the best or perhaps even the best defensive player ever. That's open for debate. But if they didn't have James Lofton, then they can't have Reggie. If they put Lofton, then I'll include White.

If they say best single player who ever played on a Packer team, I'd say Reggie White or Brett Favre of the ones I've seen.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline WhiskeySam  
#17 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 11:40:09 PM(UTC)
WhiskeySam

Applause Received: 1

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Don Hutson followed closely by Brett Favre

That was my snap reaction, too, but the more I think about it the closer to Favre I put Hornung.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Offline zombieslayer  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:14:07 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

That was my snap reaction, too, but the more I think about it the closer to Favre I put Hornung.

You know what's funny is Cheesey and I had a discussion a while back on the other forum about age. I told Cheesey he's blessed to be a decade older than me. He got to see people like Horning, Nitschke, Starr, etc. The first Packer great I got to see was James Lofton, who played on some really bad teams.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Mazloum  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:51:35 PM(UTC)
Mazloum

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Sorry I havent made it back to post, flying back home, Hoorah for a 1 hour layover in Phoenix becomming a 4 hour layover... a little over an hour and im on my flight home!

Going back to the topic though, I gave my vote to White because of who he was off the field, and because I watched him play. Was close for me between him and Favre. I only feel this way because I grew with them as my packers, and thus theres attachment.

Of the players I never got the chance to see, I would rank Hutson at the top, because my good friend is a diehard 49'ers fan and never stops talking aout Jerry Rice, and so to tick him off, I would constantly remind him that Hutson came first and is the model for current standards. Not that Im comparing them, but its always fun needling a friend. :lol:
blank
Offline Cheesey  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:22:07 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 183
Applause Received: 408

You know what's funny is Cheesey and I had a discussion a while back on the other forum about age. I told Cheesey he's blessed to be a decade older than me. He got to see people like Horning, Nitschke, Starr, etc. The first Packer great I got to see was James Lofton, who played on some really bad teams.

I do feel blessed.......getting to see those guys play was very special. Nitschke was a monster on the field, but great to his fans off the field. I got to sit and talk with him, i believe it was arounf 1989-90. He was so nice, it would have been hard NOT to like him. He let me try on his Super Bowl one ring, and was just a blast to be able to talk Packers with him. I only wish i would have been smart enough to have a camera with me.
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:47:32 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

I do feel blessed.......getting to see those guys play was very special. Nitschke was a monster on the field, but great to his fans off the field. I got to sit and talk with him, i believe it was arounf 1989-90. He was so nice, it would have been hard NOT to like him. He let me try on his Super Bowl one ring, and was just a blast to be able to talk Packers with him. I only wish i would have been smart enough to have a camera with me.

Oh, that would have been something. I was really bummed when he died. Nitschke lived the Packers. I regret not subscribing to the Packers Report instead of Pro Football Weekly now. PFW, I threw out. I would have kept my old Packers Reports.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

Offline obi1  
#22 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 2:00:26 PM(UTC)
obi1

Applause Given: 1

We were blessed to have 2 of the GREATEST football players EVER to play in the NFL play for the Packers.

First and foremost, Reggie White. He literally defined what a football player is supposed to be like... He embodied the Famous phrase, "God, Family, and the Green Bay Packers"-Vince Lombardi

When he sacked Drew Bledsoe 3 straight plays in the 96 SUPERBOWL, that defined the football player that Reggie White was.

Don Hutson had to be the other Greatest player ever! He completely changed how the NFL played football. He took the LEAGUE from 3 yards and a cloud of dust to an aerial game it is today...
Kind of like Wilt Chamberlain did with the NBA only many years later.
blank
Offline johnny_blood  
#23 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 2:26:49 PM(UTC)
johnny_blood

When he sacked Drew Bledsoe 3 straight plays in the 96 SUPERBOWL, that defined the football player that Reggie White was.

Reggie had three sacks but not on consecutive plays. You might be thinking of his first season with the Packers when he sacked Elway on consecutive plays at the end to preserve a 3 point lead. He dominated the end of that game.
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#24 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 3:05:43 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 395
Applause Received: 1,073

Don Hutson changed the game.. not many players come along and redefine the way coaches use concepts and schemes, albeit he might not be as much as an impact player in today's game.. during his era he was "that" player.

Why wasn't Tony Canadeo, the "Gray Ghost of Gonzaga", on that list? Can it really be a list of all time Packer greats without his name among them?

Never seen either of them play, of course, but Gramps used to talk about the Gray Ghost every time we talked about greats in Packer lore.. swore he was one of the best player he ever saw.. direct quote.. "Paul Hornung wasn't peanuts compared to the ghost."
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#25 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 3:49:04 PM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

United States

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 110

My vote goes for Curly Lambeau,if it wasn't for him none of us would have a team to root for.
Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Offline PackerTraxx  
#26 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 3:51:24 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

That is truely a difficult question and one we are not actually equipped to answer. Vince said Forrest Gregg was the greatest player he ever coached. I put a lot of stock in Vince's opinion, yet where is Gregg on any lists? How about Gale Gillingham, in the new Packer Yearbook Ron Wolf says he may be the best GB ever had.

However, this is America and we're entitled to our opinions. I believe to so one has to study past players and eras and put things in perspective. Football changes and rules change. The offense has been given tremendeous advantages in our new era. Linemen able to use they're hands, 5 yard bump rule for receivers, Dlineman can't club to the helmet, etc.

After all that I say . . .

DON HUTSON
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline dingus  
#27 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 3:53:42 PM(UTC)
dingus

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 27

Tough Choice but I'd have to say Starr. He wasn't the flashiest QB but, as Herm Edwards said "You play the game to win". Starr did just that, 9-1 in the postseason, 5 championships.

When I was young I was sitting in my parents garage, playing with my Matchbox cars (loved those orange tracks, perfect weapon when your friends got unruly) and a van pulled into our driveway. Out pops Ray Nitschke, coming to meet with my dad about some GB public schools fundraiser. I was in awe.
blank
Offline bozz_2006  
#28 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 9:27:57 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14

Brett Favre. easy.
UserPostedImage
Offline CDNRodgersfan  
#29 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2008 2:18:21 PM(UTC)
CDNRodgersfan

Applause Received: 1

I'm young too but from what I know I'd say Hutson because the way he dominated the game. Everyone takes fro granted that Rice is the best WR ever but if you compare his stats to the other WR's of his era he doesn't come close to dominating the way Hutson did. If you take into account everything a player has done for a franchise that brings Favre up there for me. (funny as I'm typing this I'm watching his first big game against the Bengals)
Offline Cheesehog  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:02:29 PM(UTC)
Cheesehog

[size=18]Ray defined the Packer image and the "Black & Blue" division.
UserPostedImage
Before Favre and Reggie, when someone said "Green Bay Packers".....Nitschke and Starr were the names of players that came to mind. Now it's Favre and Reggie White. I guess before the sixties.....Fans were more into the team as a whole than what it has evolved into now-a-days, Individual Super-Star status...although the day had it's "outstanding performers".

In the years ahead....and it will come....the Packers will have household names that helped them win Championships ::wink: ...and their names will be trown into the mix.[/size]
There are TWO types of Football Fans,...Packers fans....and those who wish they could be a Packers Fan.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed