Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PackerTraxx  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 4:08:05 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

If you were the Packer GM would you try to make it through the season with the QBs we have or pick up a vet and lose one of our young QBs?
I think Flynn has opened some eyes and Brohm was fairly highly respected, if we try to sneak one of them on the P squad more than likely we lose them. Can't call Brett up anymore. PackerForum

Personally, I'd roll the dice and keep them both if we can't get a decent pick for one of them. Plus I believe one of them would be about as good as a vet if the vet comes in during the season. This is a little dig, after all they said they built everyting around Rodgers in the off season and it was too late to change so how could you bring in someone that is not even familiar with the offense? What do we do?
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline walleye  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 4:15:23 PM(UTC)
walleye

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
If you were the Packer GM would you try to make it through the season with the QBs we have or pick up a vet and lose one of our young QBs?
I think Flynn has opened some eyes and Brohm was fairly highly respected, if we try to sneak one of them on the P squad more than likely we lose them. Can't call Brett up anymore. PackerForum

Personally, I'd roll the dice and keep them both if we can't get a decent pick for one of them. Plus I believe one of them would be about as good as a vet if the vet comes in during the season. This is a little dig, after all they said they built everyting around Rodgers in the off season and it was too late to change so how could you bring in someone that is not even familiar with the offense? What do we do?

I would think about picking up a vet, but if that don't happen keep what we got! :downtown:
UserPostedImage
Here Fishy Fishy
Offline Pack93z  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 4:29:47 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 395
Applause Received: 1,073

Personally.. that train has left the station.. unless someone of decent caliber and willing to be "the backup" in Green Bay becomes available, then you really have committed to having a roster with two rookies as your backups.

They sniffed around CPep earlier this offseason.. and he wanted to compete for the starting spot.. and Leftwich had questions around him as well. It would have to be a quick study to get the offense down now.

Like it or not.. it is what it is... we have pretty much committed as loudly as a team can commit.. the ball is Rodgers and then the Rookies if he goes down.

Not the optimal situation.. but I can hear the uproar if the Packers went out and signed a Vet in the past couple of weeks..
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 4:32:37 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Oh and if I was GM of the Packers.. I probably would have done what I needed to do about two weeks ago or maybe even 2 months ago.

No way in hell I would go into a season with two rookies backing up a first time starter.. too many unknowns for me on a team that else wise has the pieces in place to play deep into the playoffs.

But that is just me.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline eap33  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 4:40:47 PM(UTC)
eap33

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 3

Oh and if I was GM of the Packers.. I probably would have done what I needed to do about two weeks ago or maybe even 2 months ago.

No way in hell I would go into a season with two rookies backing up a first time starter.. too many unknowns for me on a team that else wise has the pieces in place to play deep into the playoffs.

But that is just me.

I agree. Should have snagged some kind of vet at least 2 weeks ago if not sooner. At this point, I say we ride the wave. Sounds like Flynn is doing okay-ish. I haven't given up on Brohm. He's probably just got some jitters to work out. Over the next few years, we could potentially have incredible QB depth and at the very least, one of the rookies should garner some good trade value a few years down the line.
NorCal Packer Backer.
Offline agopackgo4  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 5:05:33 PM(UTC)
agopackgo4

Get a vet if there is someone available that could help. Where is Vinny Testeverde? LOL But at any rate..If Rodgers goes down for a long time, our season is thrown away with two rookies backing him up. And if that happens you probably have a quarterback contraversy with your two backups. Because if they were In that position right now who knows who they would go with.
Offline Packers_Finland  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 5:09:31 PM(UTC)
Packers_Finland

Applause Given: 88
Applause Received: 45

Bringing a veteran NOW would be stupid. But I hate to think about what will happen if A-Rod goes down.
This is a placeholder
Offline eap33  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 5:15:13 PM(UTC)
eap33

Applause Given: 1

We could always pick up Craig Nall again ;)
NorCal Packer Backer.
Offline wpr  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 5:43:53 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,024
Applause Received: 1,464

Stay with the ones we have.
GB will be a stronger team in the long run if they do.
If A Rod goes down they won't make the play offs any way so no sense risking losing one of the pups at this stage of the game.

UserPostedImage

Offline zombieslayer  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 5:49:20 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

But that is just me.

I completely disagree with you.

Rodgers goes down, the season's lost. Put Brohm in there. Have him learn. See what he's made of.

I keep Rodgers, Brohm, Flynn. Don't want a Vet. Only Vet I'd want is Jeff Garcia and he's staying put.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Online yooperfan  
#11 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 5:53:16 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 604
Applause Received: 272

I think I'd stick with what we have with the 2 rooks and keep building this young team.
Offline RaiderPride  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 5:58:16 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 112
Applause Received: 202

I have complete and total trust in what the Packers are doing and the path that they have chosen to take.

There is a reason I was not interviewed for the Head coach or G.M. job in Green Bay.

Although, they should have hired me to handle the media/PR instead of that White House Hack.

R.P.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Offline wpr  
#13 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 6:13:52 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,024
Applause Received: 1,464

There is a reason I was not interviewed for the Head coach or G.M. job in Green Bay.

Did it involve Canadian Club?

I would advise you not to answer that question, rather direct it to the Chinese Media Commission for a statement.

UserPostedImage

Offline minnypacker  
#14 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 6:27:03 PM(UTC)
minnypacker

We could always pick up Craig Nall again ;)

Or Tim Rattay. Think of guys who have run the Packers (mcCarthy System) they very likely could get a call during the season.
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#15 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 6:29:36 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

I completely disagree with you.

Rodgers goes down, the season's lost. Put Brohm in there. Have him learn. See what he's made of.

I keep Rodgers, Brohm, Flynn. Don't want a Vet. Only Vet I'd want is Jeff Garcia and he's staying put.

You disagree with me.. how dare you.. :lol: (*edit.. to make sure it is clear.. disagree with me often.. I make plenty of misreads)

What I am saying is just this.. we have the pieces in place to make a deep run into the playoffs.. but it all hinges on Arod...

My opinion.. is you minimize the risk of ruining your season on the loss of one single player.. regardless of position. By relying on completely unproven players behind your starter is a huge risk.. by signing a veteran a couple weeks/months ago that could have minimized your dependency on rookies would be a fair move to the rest of your ball club.

To hammer home the point, that move a couple weeks ago may not have been a former QB.. if I was pretty confident that relationship was beyond repair I would have moved on acquiring another option for the club.

In my business I design everything with a failsafe redundancy option.. two rookies behind a first time starter doesn't equal that in my book. Again.. just my opinion.. but the dragging out the summer drama has put us in a bit of a bind here.. but again.. what is in the best interest of the club needs to prevail.

And RP.. I have faith in the leadership of this club.. however this is a risk that doesn't have much room for error. Name another club out there with only 3 QB's on the roster going through camp?

As a fan of this club, I see nothing wrong with questioning the soundness of this QB strategy we are deploying.

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed