Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline longtimefan  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 11:47:45 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/71987197.html

Green Bay -- The only free agent player the Green Bay Packers worked out Monday was cornerback Josh Bell, a former Denver Broncos backup who started five games in place of Champ Bailey last year.

According to a source with access to the NFL transaction wire, Bell, a second-year pro, worked out for the team on Monday. Coming out of college, the 5-11, 180-pound Bell ran a 4.5-second, 40-yard dash.

He was cut by the Broncos Sept. 10 after suffering a knee injury and signing a settlement.

Bell is a second-year pro from Baylor who signed with the Broncos as a rookie free agent in 2008. He spent time on Denver's practice squad last year before being promoted to fill in for Bailey. He finished with 43 tackles and four pass breakups in nine games for the Broncos.

Though not the biggest corner, Bell showed himself to be a willing hitter and unafraid of giving run support. He was considered part of the Mike Shanahan regime and after injuring his knee in training camp new coach Josh McDaniels decide to let him go.

There are not a lot of cornerbacks with talent left in the pool. The New Orleans Saints signed former Packer Mike McKenzie and the Dallas Cowboys signed Evan Oglesby, a former Baltimore Raven.

UPDATE: Bell has signed a deal with the Packers and will be at practice Tuesday, according to Bell's agent, Fred Lyles.

Lyles said that Bell had the Broncos roster made but injured his knee in the final exhibition game and the Broncos couldn't keep him on the roster while he rehabilitated. He said Bell has fully recovered from the knee injury and he expects him to play on Thursday against the Lions.

He said Bell is extremely smart -- he was a chemistry major at Baylor -- and should be able to pick up the system quickly. He signed a two-year deal.
Offline tonyagnese  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:05:56 AM(UTC)
tonyagnese

Well with Chris McAlister and Mike McKenzie snagged by the Saints, there wasn't much out there. Decent signing I guess..
blank
Offline longtimefan  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:15:09 AM(UTC)
longtimefan

chemistry major?

Damn
Offline gbguy20  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:17:25 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 285

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Well with Chris McAlister and Mike McKenzie snagged by the Saints, there wasn't much out there. Decent signing I guess..

Sam Madison, Patrick Surtain, Jason Craft, Fahkir Brown, and Aaron Glenn
call me Dan
Offline tonyagnese  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:25:42 AM(UTC)
tonyagnese

Can't say I've seen those guys play much at all recently so I'm not sure how good they can be. Surtain and Madison were certainly good in their prime but Madison is 35 I believe and Surtain 33. I don't know, we'll see how Bell does, I'll wait until then to pass judgement.
blank
Offline longtimefan  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:43:29 AM(UTC)
longtimefan

Madison, Surtain Craft were released before the draft this year and have not been picked up..and are also up there in age

Brown is in the UFL

Glenn hasnt played since Nov of 2008

So you tossed out those names, why are they better then Josh Bell?
Offline nerdmann  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:03:21 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,710
Applause Received: 665

I'd rather have someone smart and less talented than say, Ahmad Carroll.

http://twitter.com/packer_update

Scout: "Bell's a smart kid who tries hard, but he's not very talented. I don't see him helping much. Underwood is a much better prospect."
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline porky88  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:08:51 AM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 195
Applause Received: 409

Like the fact they did something instead of just promoting from the practice squad. I understand a promotion concerning a pass rusher, but I felt they needed to go outside of the organization for a corner. I like the move from that standpoint, but I obviously am still as concerned about the nickel back as before.
Offline tonyagnese  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:24:18 AM(UTC)
tonyagnese

I'd rather have someone smart and less talented than say, Ahmad Carroll.

http://twitter.com/packer_update

Scout: "Bell's a smart kid who tries hard, but he's not very talented. I don't see him helping much. Underwood is a much better prospect."

Hopefully he can help us in special teams too
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:54:49 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 399
Applause Received: 1,078

Madison, Surtain Craft were released before the draft this year and have not been picked up..and are also up there in age

Brown is in the UFL

Glenn hasnt played since Nov of 2008

So you tossed out those names, why are they better then Josh Bell?

Why better than Josh Bell? I guess I would feel more comfortable in the stretch run to have a guy with more and some post season game experience... someone that can be left out there on an island without rolling over a safety on a couple of plays a game.

Not all the names above I think I would choose, but a Surtain, Madison or Oneal I think would be wise.. think of this as a rental type situation where we only have to get 6 to 10 games out of for a minimum amount.

We have 3 roster spots open, even if they move the LBer up from the PS, that still leaves another spot open.. all I am saying is experience in trying to make a post season run is ultra important..
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Online musccy  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:01:04 PM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Like the fact they did something instead of just promoting from the practice squad. I understand a promotion concerning a pass rusher, but I felt they needed to go outside of the organization for a corner. I like the move from that standpoint, but I obviously am still as concerned about the nickel back as before.

agreed. this guy may be worthless, esp. coming off a knee injury, but at least they're not sitting on their butts at 1265
Offline Tezzy  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:06:19 PM(UTC)
Tezzy

United States

Applause Given: 29
Applause Received: 81

I like the fact that the kid held the starting position in replacement of Champ Bailey for 5 weeks. Scouring the Broncos forums to see any discussion on his play during those 5 weeks, but at least he seems serviceable as a nickel/dime back.
On top of every beard grows a man.
Offline Rockmolder  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:47:11 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 161
Applause Received: 263

I like the fact that the kid held the starting position in replacement of Champ Bailey for 5 weeks. Scouring the Broncos forums to see any discussion on his play during those 5 weeks, but at least he seems serviceable as a nickel/dime back.

Exactly. People here are acting like he went undrafted this year, but he's been the starter for a team for 5 games. Albeit on a horrible defensive team at that point.

He's not the starter here, though, and he went to some 3-4 zone practices with the Broncos. He's very servicable.

Next to that, he's an undrafted FA, how many undrafted FAs do you know who had good scouting reports? Usually they're the surprises. Much like Tramon Williams.

This kid doesn't necessarely have to flash this year, but if he does, we'll have a solid corner on our team for years to come, instead of one that we'll ride out and throw away again at the end of the year.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:11:10 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,710
Applause Received: 665

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

# New CB Josh Bell appears to be pretty quick. A little thin at 5-11 and 177 pounds.

# Wouldn't be surprised if practice squad CB Trevor Ford got signed at some point. He got some work on special teams and defense.

# Got my first look at practice squad QB Mike Reilly. Definitely fits the profile of a Green Bay quarterback. He's got very long arms and big hands. Also looks to be more like 6-4 than 6-3. A bit of a wild, rangy throwing motion. That will need to be tightened. Throws a very tight spiral. Arm strength appears average.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Pack93z  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:15:42 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 399
Applause Received: 1,078

Exactly. People here are acting like he went undrafted this year, but he's been the starter for a team for 5 games. Albeit on a horrible defensive team at that point.

He's not the starter here, though, and he went to some 3-4 zone practices with the Broncos. He's very servicable.

It is not that I don't like the signing.. I really have no issue with it.. but I would be more comfortable if they inked another veteran as well..

Sorry.. this has more to do with Bush finding a lot of time on the field than anything else.. I hope Underwood passes him up in a hurry.. only issue is neither Underwood or by the sounds of it Bell are very physical at the line.. which will impact this defense a bit.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Rockmolder  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:23:32 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Netherlands

It is not that I don't like the signing.. I really have no issue with it.. but I would be more comfortable if they inked another veteran as well..

Sorry.. this has more to do with Bush finding a lot of time on the field than anything else.. I hope Underwood passes him up in a hurry.. only issue is neither Underwood or by the sounds of it Bell are very physical at the line.. which will impact this defense a bit.

I know what you mean. In all honesty, I would've preffered McAllister or McKenzie, as well, but the veterans that are still available don't give me enough skill to be picked over this guy, who has some upside.

That was my entire point.
UserPostedImage
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:31:15 PM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 86

Against Dallas, I thought Bush did some good things coming on the dime blitz.

I think it's a sure thing that Capers is going consciously keep away from getting too aggressive, but I wonder if Capers is mulling the idea of utilizing Bush as a mini-Woodson type of role where he sends Bush from the Nickel.

Bush is athletic, and definitely fast - he has the physical skill set to do some good on blitzes. However, Bush certainly cannot read and react like Chuck-Wood... that may limit his success.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Offline LambeauEast  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:48:58 PM(UTC)
LambeauEast

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 20

That'll do, pig...that'll do.
UserPostedImage
Offline nyrpack  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:51:17 PM(UTC)
nyrpack

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 62

dont know much about, but sounds pretty good !!
jimmy b.
Offline Rockmolder  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:16:07 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Netherlands

Ford has been signed to the active roster, as well. Wonder how we're going to use all these guys.

Going to guess on a, mainly, ST role for Ford.
UserPostedImage
Offline British  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:40:52 PM(UTC)
British

Bell has some intriguing upside, who knows he could emerge as the next Tramon.

If we've just signed our nickel back of the future then Ted Thompson has found a gem. Time will tell.

As for Ford's promotion that's a little more puzzling but it shows how worried the top brass are at our CB depth.

Sending Bush as a blitzer makes sense, it would limit is weaknesses in coverage and make the most of his ST gunner athleticism.
UserPostedImage
Offline go.pack.go.  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:43:48 PM(UTC)
go.pack.go.

Applause Received: 44

Guys, I just got an idea. I wonder if Trevor Ford could be a kick/punt returner, that way we don't have to worry about Tramon getting injured.

Also, I think that if McCarthy puts Woodson back their to return punts, he has lost his mind. If we lose him, say goodbye to the season.
Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
Offline British  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:55:20 PM(UTC)
British

Guys, I just got an idea. I wonder if Trevor Ford could be a kick/punt returner, that way we don't have to worry about Tramon getting injured.

Also, I think that if McCarthy puts Woodson back their to return punts, he has lost his mind. If we lose him, say goodbye to the season.

Agreed, Woodson should not be on the field during STs. He's like the QB of the Defense.

However Mike McCarthy named Wood as a possibility there in his presser today. Which is weird as it was in response to a question about protecing Tramon. If you dont want to risk your #2 CB don't put your #1 in his place.

Jordy and any of the new guys will be given a go. I want to see B-Jax back there a couple of times. If we can put Green there why not Jackson?
UserPostedImage
Offline go.pack.go.  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:10:15 PM(UTC)
go.pack.go.

Applause Received: 44

British - I'm pretty sure that we did have Jackson back there earlier in the year, and he didn't look like he knew what he was doing.....maybe that's lack of experience, I'm not sure.
Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
Offline RainX  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:18:58 PM(UTC)
RainX

Applause Received: 5

Ford is pretty much a special teams body at this point who can play CB if push comes to shove. He was activated because he's been with the team all year on the practice squad. Same goes for Bell at least on special teams.

Bush and Underwood are going to get the bulk of the snaps in the nickel and dime though and you just have to hope they can hold up in the pass game behind Woodson and Williams.
blank
Rss Feed