You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 10:56:22 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,738
Applause Received: 1,783

For quite a few years now I've had family and friends tell me I have some ADD or ADhD deal. I've been long against any medication of any kind. Dad always said "walk it off son" and that's how I go about life. I don't try to 'treat' things, I get past them. Same applies to ADhd or ADD. Those who say I have it, my thought is I just fail at focusing properly and need to try harder.

Mom said that she thought I might have it, but felt that I suffer from some kind of anxiety disorder which she said explains why I can't sit still at times or feel suffocated in the house and have to go for long drives or walks.

Dad says he had me tested back in 5th grade and I somehow tested twice my grade in many of the subjects. (i swear i was only guessing on the answers, i just wanted out of that room)

The point of this is, I'm at work for a half day and bored off my ass and came accross an article that poked my interest. So I thought I'd share with you and pose the question. (no ... not what is wrong with me, that'd take a long time lol) but rather... what do YOU know about anxiety disorder or ADD/ADhD? Do they exist or are they just excuses for people who don't try hard enough? From what I've read, I tend to feel its an excuse for failure.

Here's a graphic I thought was interesting.
http://www.vyvanseadult....-symptoms-in-adults.aspx

Don't most if not all these symptoms apply to everyone? They seem pretty common to me.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 9, 2013 7:26:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Sponsor
Offline Cheesey  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 3:55:34 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

I think it's real, but used WAY too much as an excuse to drug kids.

I was a "day dreamer" in school. I had trouble concentrating and was easily distracted.
I would put things off school work wise unless pushed a little. But i have an IQ in the 120's, and in college never had under a 3.0. I grew out of alot of it, without being drugged up.
I'm glad my parents didn't drug me up.
They tell kids to "say NO to drugs", yet at the first sign of "non conforming" they pump them full of the crap. Then wonder why they are drug dependant the rest of their lives. Do we want a bunch of "zombies" walking around? Cause thats what we will have with this drug forcing types.
JMO
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 4:11:01 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

I was a "day dreamer" in school. I had trouble concentrating and was easily distracted.
I would put things off school work wise unless pushed a little. But i have an IQ in the 120's, and in college never had under a 3.0. I grew out of alot of it, without being drugged up.
They tell kids to "say NO to drugs", yet at the first sign of "non conforming" they pump them full of the crap. Then wonder why they are drug dependant the rest of their lives. Do we want a bunch of "zombies" walking around? Cause thats what we will have with this drug forcing types.
JMO

I agree with Cheesey 100%. I used to go off on this exact same rant all the time.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Cheesey  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 4:21:49 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

I'd like to comment more on it........but i can't seem to concentrate.

LOLOLOL!!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 4:22:57 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

JMO

I agree with Cheesey 100%. I used to go off on this exact same rant all the time.

Oh......Zombie......i didn't mean a bunch of YOUS walking around.

LOLOLOL!!!! :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 4:36:22 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

When my daughter was four her mom decided to have her on some ADD type pills. When I found out about it it was stopped immediately. I think that is way to young to even try to diagnosis a child of anything like that. My argument for taking her off the medication stuff was that she didn't pay enough attention to her and that is why her behavior was out of control.

Three years later, I proved that theory to be correct. She's been living with me for the last year and a half with just your normal issues of a seven year old.

Personally, I think this stuff is more of an excuse for parents to NOT be parents and have something else do the work for them.

UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 4:44:00 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

When my daughter was four her mom decided to have her on some ADD type pills. When I found out about it it was stopped immediately. I think that is way to young to even try to diagnosis a child of anything like that. My argument for taking her off the medication stuff was that she didn't pay enough attention to her and that is why her behavior was out of control.

Three years later, I proved that theory to be correct. She's been living with me for the last year and a half with just your normal issues of a seven year old.

Personally, I think this stuff is more of an excuse for parents to NOT be parents and have something else do the work for them.

EXACTLY!!!!!

Instead of saying "Maybe you should spend a little time with your kid" it's MUCH easier to just drug them up!

My Mom made me sit down and READ out loud to her every week. Then i had to explain what i read. I HATED it.
But you know what? I didn't go to college until i was 32 years old. I scored in the top 5% in the ACT test, and had a 2nd year college reading level BEFORE i even went to college.
I thanked my Mom MANY times for taking the time to make me read to her.
It would have been easier for her to drug me, and sit me in front of the TV.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 4:47:17 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Keiana's mom punishes her by taking an hour of TV away. That indicates to me that theres more than an hour of TV viewing per day and to me that is unacceptable.

UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 6:30:49 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Keiana's mom punishes her by taking an hour of TV away. That indicates to me that theres more than an hour of TV viewing per day and to me that is unacceptable.

Theres WAY too many things for kids to do today. Text message, video games, TV and so on. Thats just another reason why our kids are getting so fat. Hardly anyone plays outside anymore.
UserPostedImage
Offline evad04  
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 7:11:41 PM(UTC)
evad04

Applause Given: 56
Applause Received: 67

JMO

DING DING DING DING! Cheesey and I agree! I'm right with you on this one. I think there is certainly a value to certain medications, but I think this "medicate the world" philosophy will end up hurting an entire generation of youth. I know people whose lives are made much more manageable by taking certain medications -- and there's nothing bad about taking a medication. But the tendency to "medicate, medicate, medicate!" can also be harmful.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.

"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Offline Cheesey  
#11 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 7:18:02 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

JMO

DING DING DING DING! Cheesey and I agree! I'm right with you on this one. I think there is certainly a value to certain medications, but I think this "medicate the world" philosophy will end up hurting an entire generation of youth. I know people whose lives are made much more manageable by taking certain medications -- and there's nothing bad about taking a medication. But the tendency to "medicate, medicate, medicate!" can also be harmful.

You agree with me? I bet that just screwed up your day!!!
LOLOLOL!!!!
I know people that have been on meds so long that they feel they can't get by without them. I bet they could, if they actually tried. It's sad the way they push that stuff on people.......especially kids. I know they do trials on the meds, but they don't REALLY know what long term damage they might be doing.
Then they tell the kids....."Say no to drugs!!! (unless WE supply them to you!)"
UserPostedImage
Offline Rockmolder  
#12 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 8:43:15 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Netherlands

Applause Given: 143
Applause Received: 215

Like cheesy says, it's used way to early now. Childeren who aren't paying attention and pretty much being kids have Adhd in no time these days, it seems. Although to be quite honest, we're also behind on that one from the sound of it. It doesn't happen as often here as over there.

Still, maybe they're just cautious not to overlook it, although I don't think medicine is the answer in that case. I have nothing against getting someone to a psychologist. If there's something wrong, find it out there and try to let the patient get through it themselfs.

I have a Social Anxiety Disorder, loosely translated, I'm afraid to talk to people and what not, but I'm not gonna take anti-depressives, wich appear to work to a certain extent. I am going to a psychologist though, wich seems like a more healthy option, and hard as it may be, I think I'll get out better this way than taking pills my entire life or anything.
UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#13 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 9:11:36 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 157
Applause Received: 337

I need a friggin' pill. I could have sworn I just read that Cheesy and evad04 were in agreement.
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline Cheesey  
#14 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 12:14:29 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

I need a friggin' pill. I could have sworn I just read that Cheesy and evad04 were in agreement.

THE APOCOLYPSE IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!

ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!
:pottytrain2: :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
Offline TheEngineer  
#15 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 12:17:07 AM(UTC)
TheEngineer

Let's not sweep this issue under the rug and claim that children are just proactive. ADHD can be serious issues, and are just as 'real' as a broken bone. Although we pump kids full of drugs, a lot of parents probably don't know what they do.

I don't agree that kids who display ADHD are normal, but are just hyperactive. This definition serves to sever the link between behaviour and neurobiology. I believe that there's a physical, quantifiable, scientific logic behind the behaviours. I'm sure there are some who make excuses, but then that's a display of a different psychological 'impairment'.

I believe that some studies suggest that people with ADHD tend to have lower dopamine levels (a neurotransmitter). ADHD drugs serve to increase the amount of dopamine production in the brain. These are tangible effects on the subject, and are generally positive.

Note that as people age, dopamine production decreases. I wonder if there's any studies on kids diagnosed with ADHD who are into their senior years who have not been taking drugs.

It's just too bad that there's always some severe side effects.
blank