You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#16 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2011 10:02:55 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 365
Applause Received: 263

Great point. If I remember correctly, the Jets defense held the Packers to three fieldgoals the last time they met.

However, there we go again with the use of the word "clutch." In the second half, I kept thinking that if the Patriots somehow manage to eke out a victory, Brady will once again be heralded as a "clutch quarterback," despite having objectively sucked in the first three quarters. I think the term should be reserved for performances in which a player performs well during a game and pulls out a victory at the end because the opposing team made a good play when it counted, not for last second heroics that somehow manage to cover over a game's worth of sub-par performance. In other words, I think the term should be reserved for elevation of good performance, not for scrambling to compensate for poor performance.
UserPostedImage
Offline Greg C.  
#17 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2011 10:17:06 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Great point. If I remember correctly, the Jets defense held the Packers to three fieldgoals the last time they met.

However, there we go again with the use of the word "clutch." In the second half, I kept thinking that if the Patriots somehow manage to eke out a victory, Brady will once again be heralded as a "clutch quarterback," despite having objectively sucked in the first three quarters. I think the term should be reserved for performances in which a player performs well during a game and pulls out a victory at the end because the opposing team made a good play when it counted, not for last second heroics that somehow manage to cover over a game's worth of sub-par performance. In other words, I think the term should be reserved for elevation of good performance, not for scrambling to compensate for poor performance.

That's a fair point. The thing is, Brady WAS that guy who used to play well the entire game and then pull it out at the end if necessary. I am with you all the way on liking those kinds of QBs better than the ones who put themselves into a hole and then have to dig themselves out of it. But most people like athletes who noticeably elevate the quality of their play when a contest comes down to the wire.

People love drama, and I think they like seeing the human side of athletes--screwing up and then atoning for their sins, all that sort of thing. We got such a heavy dose of that with Favre (who wasn't a great comeback QB anyway) that I think a lot of us got thoroughly sick of it. I know I did. No more drama please! Just play your best football for 60 minutes and win the damn game!
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#18 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2011 10:21:22 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 936

Is it Brady that has declined or is it that the League finally squashed some of the advantage that some of the practices of the Patriots and have returned them somewhat to the playing field.

When the Spygate scandal was brought to light.. they had enough tape on folks, current information, to string through for a while.. since some time has passed the Patriots haven't been the same Pats in the clutch that they once were.

Yesterday Billy Boy made several blunders.. fake punt and that late time consuming drive come to mind right away.

People can say all they want that there wasn't much advantaged gained.. but this team isn't the same machine it once was.. especially playoff time.
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#19 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2011 10:29:08 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 365
Applause Received: 263

All good points, Shawn. I just had fun watching how frustrated Belichick looked the whole game. He wasn't his usual smugly poker-faced self.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#20 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2011 10:30:52 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 936

I was hoping the icing on the cake might have been Rex throwing a right hook instead of a handshake. ;)
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:08:34 AM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 64
Applause Received: 201

Interesting 3 piece artical on comeback wins over on pro-football-reference.com about how comeback wins are misreported. Since it isn't an official stat, the teams PR departments put out the stats. Some times they over state things. It is an older article from August of '09, so some of the totals have changed. The important part is the actual vs reported difference.
QB Reported Actual
John Elway 47 34
Brett Favre 42 27
Dan Marino 37 36
Peyton Manning 37 28
Drew Bledsoe 32 24
Joe Montana 31 31
Johnny Unitas 31 34
Tom Brady 28 20
Roger Staubach 23 15
Ben Roethlisberger 19 15
Chad Pennington 7 7
Jay Cutler 7 5
Brady averages about 2 per year. Favre averaged 1.5 per. Rapesandbuggers averages 3. Manning averages 2.7, Marino averaged 2.11 per year and Elway averaged 2.19.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#22 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:08:03 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,743
Applause Received: 1,792

Quote:
That “bogus thing” was secretly taping signals, for which Belichick was fined $500,000 and the team was fined $250,000 and lost a first-round draft pick.

“How much did this help us on a scale of 1 to 100?” Kraft asked Belichick.

“One,” Belichick replied.

“Then you’re a real schmuck,” Kraft said he told Belichick.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!