Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2008 12:03:56 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,954
Applause Received: 2,186

Quote:
GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- The Green Bay Packers' proposed $20 million marketing deal for Brett Favre included a merchandise line, autographs, personal appearances and even a blog, according to a report in The Sporting News' online newsletter Friday.

And while Favre turned down the deal in favor of returning to play and was traded to the New York Jets last week, the Packers are expected to offer him a similar agreement once he retires for good.

"We do want to have a long-term relationship with Brett," Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy said in a news conference after Favre was traded last week. "He will always be a Packer and he's very important to this organization."

According to the a draft of the agreement obtained by Sporting News Today and its sister publication, The Business Journal Serving Greater Milwaukee, the Packers' proposed 10-year deal for Favre included a line of clothing, merchandise and collectibles. The Packers Pro Shop would have become the exclusive distributor of autographed Favre memorabilia, and Favre would sign 300 items a year for the team's use.

Favre also would have been required to make 10 personal appearances each year -- including two private hunting or golfing trips -- and a blog would have been created for Favre on the team's Web site.

The Packers began putting together a marketing deal for Favre soon after he announced his retirement in March. They are expected to revisit the idea once Favre really retires.

In a chat with fans on packers.com last week, Murphy said he intends to reach out to Favre "at the appropriate time" to finalize a formal relationship. Packers coach Mike McCarthy said last week that he would consider bringing Favre back to work with the team's quarterbacks in training camp after his playing days are over.

"He's a Green Bay Packer," McCarthy said. "He wants to come back here, he wants to be welcome back here."

Doesn't ANYONE listen to me? I've said how many times. It was NOT a bribe, it was planned before Brett even retired. This is gonna make me break my TV because ESPN and such continue to say this agreement was to assist Brett in staying off the field. Obviously, anyone (even if its you) who thinks that is completely uneducated on the situation.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline dingus  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:20:19 PM(UTC)
dingus

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 27

I was on the same page with you Zero, every time some smug SOB said bribe I wanted to throw something at the TV! It certainly makes you long for the days when journalists (sports and news) actually took pride in reporting the facts, now they just want to "get the scoop" truth be damned! Just a bit more of the dumbing down of America.
blank
Offline PackinSteel  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 2:43:43 AM(UTC)
PackinSteel

I will 100% agree that "bribe" is not the correct term. The deal (maybe not that much $$) was on the table in March.

However, I can also believe that the intent of Murphy's trip to MS was to cement that deal which would include Brett not filing for reinstatement.
blank
Offline Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 2:45:43 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I will 100% agree that "bribe" is not the correct term. The deal (maybe not that much $$) was on the table in March.

However, I can also believe that the intent of Murphy's trip to MS was to cement that deal which would include Brett not filing for reinstatement.

I'll roll with that, but why did the Packers repeatedly tell Brett that the offer was on the table regardless if he played or not in 2008?
UserPostedImage
Offline longtimefan  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 2:51:46 AM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

Brett will not do this..at least that is what I am thinking RIGHT now

he can get 20 mill in endorsments when he retires, why go for 2 mill?
Offline Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 2:53:48 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

he can get 20 mill in endorsements when he retires, why go for 2 mill?

It would be additional money. He'd still have his personal endorsements as well as the personal services deal with the Packers.
UserPostedImage
Offline longtimefan  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 3:06:12 AM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

It would be additional money. He'd still have his personal endorsements as well as the personal services deal with the Packers.

Correction..not just endorsments but if he did the entire stuff on his own and not allow the Packers the rights to anything

He can get 6 figures just by doing ONE singing
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 3:08:24 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Correction..not just endorsments but if he did the entire stuff on his own and not allow the Packers the rights to anything

He can get 6 figures just by doing ONE singing

Not with the Packers logo on it. That means, no Packers memorabilia.
UserPostedImage
Offline PackinSteel  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 3:18:48 AM(UTC)
PackinSteel

Plus - with the clothing line the eternal question could become

"Brett Favre Boxers or Brett Favre Briefs?" Think
blank
Offline Heatherthepackgirl  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 2:31:21 PM(UTC)
Heatherthepackgirl

Applause Received: 1

Does anyone know what money was on the table when Brett retired? I highly doubt it was 20 million then. I still believe and many will argue this point with me, I still think they upped the money so that Brett would stay retired and not cause a so called problem with the Packers and return to play football. To me this was a bribe after they offered more money to him. They knew then they did NOT want him back with the Packers to play they wanted to move on with Rodgers. I know its all a business, but to me there was business things that were done here that was disrespectful to Brett again IMO. I still believe it was both sides at fault here and I am sure things that were said that now cant be taken back that both sides wish they could take back now. But it must be pretty bad because for Brett to say he highly doubts he can forgive what was all said about him. I truly believe Brett is an honest man.

I know Brett isnt the future because he may only play a year or two, but to me you still put the guys on the field that can win games, a Super Bowl may only come around once in a lifetime.
Heathiee
Offline Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 7:36:06 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Does anyone know what money was on the table when Brett retired? I highly doubt it was 20 million then. I still believe and many will argue this point with me, I still think they upped the money so that Brett would stay retired and not cause a so called problem with the Packers and return to play football. To me this was a bribe after they offered more money to him. They knew then they did NOT want him back with the Packers to play they wanted to move on with Rodgers. I know its all a business, but to me there was business things that were done here that was disrespectful to Brett again IMO. I still believe it was both sides at fault here and I am sure things that were said that now cant be taken back that both sides wish they could take back now. But it must be pretty bad because for Brett to say he highly doubts he can forgive what was all said about him. I truly believe Brett is an honest man.

I know Brett isnt the future because he may only play a year or two, but to me you still put the guys on the field that can win games, a Super Bowl may only come around once in a lifetime.

Per Favre's agent, 10 year, 20 million. It reportedly was increasing training camp reared closer. Brett was reportedly considering signing it, but (this is my take on it) he figured he could take that deal after he retired (again) and he still wanted to play. Of course, as we all know the deal was on the table regardless of him returning to the Packers or another team or staying retired. So the bribe talk, effectively shut down.

It's not what was said about Brett that he has a hard time forgiving. It's Brett thought he could at anytime he wanted come back into the lineup, resume his starter position with a flick of the wrist and phone call. The Packers didn't ask 'how high' when he said 'jump' is what basically pissed Brett off. The reports about him having a team issued cell phone and the tampering charges against the Vikings pissed him off. Not because he likes the Vikings, but because the Packers were in effect saying that the Vikings changed his mind, when it was Brett himself that changed his mind.

This is something that can and WILL be forgotten down the road. Once Brett is retired, things will be better on both sides. Brett knows he was wrong as do the Packers know they were wrong. Everyone knows its in the best interest of all parties for the Packers and Brett to co-exist.

And I assure you, they will. This saga has been over looked, over analyzed and falsely reported on by anyone who can ink a paper.

edit,

The Packers wanted Brett back. McCarthy even said the Packers are better with Brett on the team. Brett himself said he couldn't get past things that he admits he should.
UserPostedImage
Offline packfanfrmafar  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:35:53 PM(UTC)
packfanfrmafar

When Brett Farve finally does retire,the Packers[or any other team]can't sell his merchandise ,without his permission= $ 20 MIL DEAL.The Packers stand to make that plus 3or4 fold,that is why they want to keep him close.I'm sure during the sit down he had w/the g.m. and the boys at his house, that this was a biggest topic on the table,not the trade talk. as far as going back to the Packers,yeah sure he could've ,but not as the starter.IMHO that was pretty much decided a few days after the NFC championship game
blank
Offline Cheesey  
#13 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 6:34:13 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 183
Applause Received: 409

I hope Favre only plays one year then. I want him around Wisconsin so i can see him, and maybe get my picture taken with him. I have wanted that for years now. Thats one of my dreams. Who knows....maybe someday it will happen. I just hope i'm still lucid by then.
UserPostedImage
Offline Trippster  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2008 9:51:03 PM(UTC)
Trippster

Applause Received: 10

I hope Favre only plays one year then. I want him around Wisconsin so i can see him, and maybe get my picture taken with him. I have wanted that for years now. Thats one of my dreams. Who knows....maybe someday it will happen. I just hope i'm still lucid by then.

Feelin better are ya? :compress:

How was your weekend Pooter?
"Let Your Light Shine!"
Rss Feed