Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#16 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:49:36 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
As I said before, the Crabtree penalty looked like a blatant screw-up.

A prime example of exactly the kind of officiating call that needs to be made subject to challenge. I am of the belief that any and all calls should be subject to review. It's ridiculous that such an obvious gaffe -- with such strong consequences -- can't be overturned when even a quick glance at the replay reveals it to have been wrong. That isn't even matter of a judgment call. He unambiguously did not touch the facemask.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#17 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:52:33 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 1,042

the facemask WAS a horrible call...but again, I'm in no way saying that affected the outcome. There were probably a few PIs the Packers could have been called for in the first half, so it all came out in the laundry, I'm bringing this up to question the RULES rather than the refs.

Here is the problem.. by looks without zooming in, by the body language of the returner it looked like a facemask.. at first glace I thought it is on.

Officials are human.. and it wasn't the flagrant of a mistake.

Unless you can challenge a penalty, I don't think you can crucify the official in this call.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline musccy  
#18 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:54:31 PM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 220
Applause Received: 199

What the rules say aside, how can anyone say Collins' celebration was excessive and Mendenhall's was not? It's a display of elation, it's not offensive or over the top. That should never be a penalty in any game.

I get the letter of the law, but this is like the K-State/Syracuse thing, you have to consider the moment. Honestly, I was too busy running around my apartment screaming at the top of my lungs to see there was a flag. It was only on the kickoff, and subsequent replays of his celebration that I realized what had happened...so if I was that jubliant, how do you think the players felt?

It's a shades of grey issue, but c'mon, you need to allow for some emotional outlet!
Offline musccy  
#19 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 6:01:08 PM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 220
Applause Received: 199

Here is the problem.. by looks without zooming in, by the body language of the returner it looked like a facemask.. at first glace I thought it is on.

Officials are human.. and it wasn't the flagrant of a mistake.

Unless you can challenge a penalty, I don't think you can crucify the official in this call.

I tried to make this point in my post that I'm not trying to question the refs in this game...I used to ref 10 year old soccer games and had soccer moms f-bomb me left and right. Hated ever second of it, and developed a new respect for what refs deal with. I'm just trying to call a spade a spade on the FM penalty (and acknowledge not an easy call) and am questioning the RULES more than anything. Letter of the law, Collins could have been flagged, it's just been a rule that has allowed for some leeway for interpretation which is my beef with it.

I'm in no way saying the refs affected the outcome. As I said, I think there were some PIs that went uncalled that worked in GB's favor.
Offline RedSoxExcel  
#20 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 7:22:34 PM(UTC)
RedSoxExcel

Applause Received: 3

Who cares now, we won the Super Bowl!
blank
Offline TOPackerFan  
#21 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 7:28:03 PM(UTC)
TOPackerFan

I thought Swain was a catch, but that's probably only because Jennings recovered. If the Steelers had recovered, I'd have been screaming no football move therfore no catch.

I just gave you an applaud point for a very rare demonstration of honesty by a fan.

It's the truth! Said pretty much the same thing to my wife during the game last night.
Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince
Offline millertime  
#22 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 7:37:54 PM(UTC)
millertime

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 6

Common sense tells me it was a catch.

But according to the "rules" there was some bobbling. Also, it was called incomplete on the field, so there would have to be INDISPUTABLE evidence to overturn the call (especially in a game of this magnitude).

If it was originally ruled a catch and fumble and Pittsburgh challenged it, I think they would have upheld the fumble. Just goes to show that there are still "gray areas" that the league needs to clear up in the rulebook.
People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society.
-Vince Lombardi
Offline TwinkieGorilla  
#23 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 7:39:49 PM(UTC)
TwinkieGorilla

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 42

re: Collins

NoFunLeague indeed. ::roll:
I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

Offline porky88  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 1:05:04 AM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 187
Applause Received: 366

Swain dropped the ball. I never saw possession. I saw him struggling to control the ball and you really need control. He never had control and took a step.

Hate the celebration penalty. It is the Super Bowl, so both teams deserve a little slack. God forbid you get excited because, you know, youre a human being with emotions.

The Crabtree call was awful and that was the only one that stands out.

Tramon Williams call was correct in my view. Williams needs to get away from the ball. The Steelers did what they should have and tried to make him touch it. That is on him.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 1:06:29 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,891
Applause Received: 2,088

Crabtree the "facemask" call?
UserPostedImage
Offline TwinkieGorilla  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:10:30 AM(UTC)
TwinkieGorilla

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 42

Crabtree the "facemask" call?

Yeah, that was sh*te. Was almost exactly the other way around. I remember going..."Oh, great. Last year it was the game against the Cards. Now this?"
I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

Offline Yerko  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:17:36 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 143
Applause Received: 238

One thing I did notice...and correct me if I am wrong, but were there ZERO holding penalties called?
UserPostedImage
Offline Since69  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:35:33 AM(UTC)
Since69

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 81

And can anyone explain to me why the NFL sees a substantive difference between kneeling on one knee versus kneeling on two knees in the end zone? Both can be expressions of prayer or exultation. It makes no sense.

Because going to one knee is considered a religious gesture, and the league doesn't want to go there. Stupid, stupid rule, either way. Who gives a sh*t about excessive TD celebrations (so long as they don't hold up the game, of course)?
UserPostedImage
Offline go.pack.go.  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:41:29 AM(UTC)
go.pack.go.

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 44

One thing I did notice...and correct me if I am wrong, but were there ZERO holding penalties called?

I do remember one holding call on us. I can't remember who it was on, but I do remember that I didn't agree with the call.

--edit--

Wow I just realized how many times I said "remember" in 2 sentences there.
Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
Offline Greg C.  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:41:38 AM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

The only one I remember for the Packers was the one by Donald Lee, when he failed to get out of his stance on time on a running play and then hooked the linebacker.

The Steelers had at least two holding penalties. Clay Matthews got held by the tight end on one play, then there was the hold later in the game by number 71 I think, when he tackled Cullen Jenkins.
blank
Rss Feed