Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
3 Pages«<3

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
longtimefan  
#81 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:11:27 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away. QBs take a little bit of time.


" said: Go to Quoted Post
The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away.



Not necessarily. I believe it was Mike Shanahan that stated last year that anything you get out of a d-linemen in the first year is a bonus, they need time to adjust to the pro-level. (I believe he said this in reference to Harrell, actually)

Considering that statement, I do not think anyone can really call Harrell a bust. It is still too darn early, and even with his injury set back I look for Harrell to step up in to the DT rotation before the half way point of the season.

One thing that is really telling is that when Colin Cole went out, Harrell replaced him as one of the gunners. That shows a heck of a lot of versatility.

Personally, I think the Packers have the makings of adding a 3-4 to their scheme on certain situations, if and only if Harrell gets healthy. Harrell , Jolly, Jenkins/Montgomery to anchor the D-front might be passable if used once in a while.



Just to verify the fact Denver wanted Justin


linkyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote:
Denver wanted Harrell
The Denver Broncos, the upcoming opponent for the Packers on Monday, picked one choice after Green Bay during this past year's NFL draft. If the Packers hadn't already taken Justin Harrell, the Broncos may have done so.

"We were trying to decide with direction we were going to go," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said during a conference call with reporters according to PackersNews.com. "We had Harrell, and we had Jarvis. We were kind of split, but we liked Harrell a lot."

So should we give Harrell a break and not call him a bust just yet?

"Anytime you don't go through a full offseason program, especially as a young guy, and you don't get the reps, I think you judge a guy like that next year," Shanahan said. "It's really hard to judge a player that doesn't go through the OTAs and doesn't get a full dose of what it's about."
arrowgargantuan  
#82 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:40:07 AM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
A little early to label him a bust?


Yes. It is too early to call him a bust.

He gets one more year before "bust" status.

As of now, he's "heading for bust" status.


^^^pretty much how i feel here.

i personally think he won't amount to much. i hope i'm wrong.
Zero2Cool  
#83 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 10:11:33 AM(UTC)
I've always maintained that you give a rookie and rookie class three years before saying it was bust or not. I just, gosh, with Justin H, I'm irritated because I think the guy is hella talented but he's a charmin boy. If I don't see something productive from him this season, I'm going to buck my stance a little and say he was a poor pick.
IronMan  
#84 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 10:33:37 AM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Denver was going to jump on harrell ( they picked 17th and Packers picked 16th ) and I have a feelingTed Thompsonknew that

You do what you needed to do AT THE TIME...

now does it look stupid? Possibly...

But at the time he was a projected top ten pick.....He had an injury that should have been a non issue after a few months.

No one knew he would injury him self this past year playing Wii.


He Got Hurt Playing WII ??!!?!?!?! :microwave: im sorry thats jst hilarious

"Thats not very manly."

-Larry McCarren
dfosterf  
#85 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 11:11:24 AM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
I've always maintained that you give a rookie and rookie class three years before saying it was bust or not. I just, gosh, with Justin H, I'm irritated because I think the guy is hella talented but he's a charmin boy. If I don't see something productive from him this season, I'm going to buck my stance a little and say he was a poor pick.


There is a positive aspect to Justin Harrell being hurt again this year, at least so far. I read that the last practice the Pack had like 200 people in attendance vs. the historic 1000+. In that Harrell being hurt is providing another belt of ammunition to those that are absolutely immersed in the quagmire of hatred for Ted Thompson and unmitigated love for Brett, I suspect that a large contingent of "the missing 800" are of that persuasion. I submit that if this trend continues, we will benefit, at least in a fashion sense. I have a strong suspicion that many, if not most of the missing 800 have been attending games festooned in blaze orange. I find this to clash with the sea of green and gold on my HDTV, and look forward to a more color coordinated viewing experience. :microwave:
zombieslayer  
#86 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:10:34 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away. QBs take a little bit of time.


" said: Go to Quoted Post
The other thing is - positional differences. 1st round DTs should contribute right away.



Not necessarily. I believe it was Mike Shanahan that stated last year that anything you get out of a d-linemen in the first year is a bonus, they need time to adjust to the pro-level. (I believe he said this in reference to Harrell, actually)

Considering that statement, I do not think anyone can really call Harrell a bust. It is still too darn early, and even with his injury set back I look for Harrell to step up in to the DT rotation before the half way point of the season.

One thing that is really telling is that when Colin Cole went out, Harrell replaced him as one of the gunners. That shows a heck of a lot of versatility.

Personally, I think the Packers have the makings of adding a 3-4 to their scheme on certain situations, if and only if Harrell gets healthy. Harrell , Jolly, Jenkins/Montgomery to anchor the D-front might be passable if used once in a while.


Well, I'll repeat what I said. I didn't say "bust," I said this:

Quote:
Yes. It is too early to call him a bust.

He gets one more year before "bust" status.

As of now, he's "heading for bust" status.
zombieslayer  
#87 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:13:24 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
In that Harrell being hurt is providing another belt of ammunition to those that are absolutely immersed in the quagmire of hatred forTed Thompsonand unmitigated love for Brett, I suspect that a large contingent of "the missing 800" are of that persuasion. I submit that if this trend continues, we will benefit, at least in a fashion sense. I have a strong suspicion that many, if not most of the missing 800 have been attending games festooned in blaze orange. I find this to clash with the sea of green and gold on my HDTV, and look forward to a more color coordinated viewing experience. :microwave:


This has nothing to do with hatred of Ted Thompson and love for Brett Favre and everything to do with Packer fans being genuinely concerned that we as a team made a mistake getting rid of C Williams because Harrell is currently in "heading for bust" status.

The way we played last year, we need our DT rotation. I think with a weaker DT and stronger LB in '08, we'll see more work out of our LBs and less out of our DTs. MM's going to have to compensate for what he has to work with.
all_about_da_packers  
#88 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:18:31 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post

Well, I'll repeat what I said. I didn't say "bust," I said this:

Quote:
Yes. It is too early to call him a bust.

He gets one more year before "bust" status.

As of now, he's "heading for bust" status.



Yeah, I meant to imply that Harrell did contribute to the team, but not necessarily in the fashion many (not you) would expect (IE starting on D).

Didn't mean to pick you out or anything. A first rounder should start somewhere down the line, that is for certain. But no need to worry about him not starting yet... he still has a chance to make a career for himself.

As long as he doesn't get injured again playing Wii. :xcensoredx:
zombieslayer  
#89 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 1:36:46 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post

Well, I'll repeat what I said. I didn't say "bust," I said this:

Quote:
Yes. It is too early to call him a bust.

He gets one more year before "bust" status.

As of now, he's "heading for bust" status.



Yeah, I meant to imply that Harrell did contribute to the team, but not necessarily in the fashion many (not you) would expect (IE starting on D).

Didn't mean to pick you out or anything. A first rounder should start somewhere down the line, that is for certain. But no need to worry about him not starting yet... he still has a chance to make a career for himself.

As long as he doesn't get injured again playing Wii. :xcensoredx:


Oh, no prob. I just talk a lot so you probably confused what I said somewhere with something else.

As for Wii, I'm still waiting for the first Wii death, then uber-lawsuit, Congressional hearing, Mothers Against Wii groups, etc. You know it's coming. It's just a matter of time.
dfosterf  
#90 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 5:12:10 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
In that Harrell being hurt is providing another belt of ammunition to those that are absolutely immersed in the quagmire of hatred forTed Thompsonand unmitigated love for Brett, I suspect that a large contingent of "the missing 800" are of that persuasion. I submit that if this trend continues, we will benefit, at least in a fashion sense. I have a strong suspicion that many, if not most of the missing 800 have been attending games festooned in blaze orange. I find this to clash with the sea of green and gold on my HDTV, and look forward to a more color coordinated viewing experience. :microwave:


This has nothing to do with hatred ofTed Thompsonand love for Brett Favre and everything to do with Packer fans being genuinely concerned that we as a team made a mistake getting rid of C Williams because Harrell is currently in "heading for bust" status.

The way we played last year, we need our DT rotation. I think with a weaker DT and stronger LB in '08, we'll see more work out of our LBs and less out of our DTs. MM's going to have to compensate for what he has to work with.
I happen to agree with you as regards the mistake. I think it was a difficult decision regarding C Williams, especially in light of Johnny Jolly being injured and Justin being... well... not being, yet. I was attempting to interject some semi-self effacing humor into a discussion, but shall instead watch my lead balloon pass beneath my feet.
Rss Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages«<3
Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Fan Shout
beast (1h) : I believe the Packers seriously want to trade up (if they can find a price they like), I'm guessing for Fitzpatrick or James (though one guy said Ward). But could also be one of the ILBers (Smith or E
Smokey (2h) : Rumors are not money in the bank deals.
gbguy20 (4h) : pft reporting packers trying to trade up
Porforis (5h) : You're just a little chicken. Cheep Cheep Cheep Cheep Cheep Cheep Cheep Cheep Cheep
Nonstopdrivel (5h) : I don't want to talk about it.
Porforis (5h) : You're tearing me apart, Rourke!
Nonstopdrivel (5h) : (See "Moar Randomness" thread.)
Nonstopdrivel (5h) : It's a reference to The Room. I'm sorry, I forgot that not everyone knows about that movie. That's just my favorite line from that movie.
Porforis (7h) : I... Can't tell if serious or The Room reference.
Barfarn (11h) : Perhaps no or inadequte coverage in general
Barfarn (11h) : I’d guess “no help” refers to men not being covered for breast cancer
wpr (13h) : O no. Sorry to hear this NSD.
Zero2Cool (14h) : Rourke, sorry to hear that, but who doesn't want to help you?
Cheesey (23h) : Oh geez, nonstop. Like was said, we have your back.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : NSD sorry your post is a bit of a mind fuck, but obviously brother those here have your back.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : I got the test results back! I definitely have breast cancer.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Everything goes wrong at once. Nobody wants to help me, and I'm dying!
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : Zone defenses always must answer this question: is it better to invest in top CBs, or better to invest in pass rushers who can make a CB’s job easier?
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : Packers giving away $500 Pro Shop gift card and 11 2018 Official Draft Caps
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : can't restrict
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : you did it now
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : 123456
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : too bad you gonna cry
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : don't break it
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : something here
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : You can do it too!
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : Who the hell gives a shit about Sat/Sun now? 3rd to 7th round? F U
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : I thought Sat/Sun was great. You make a weekend of it. Have buddies over, cookout, etc.
TheKanataThrilla (24-Apr) : During the afternoons I tend to get caught up in family routines. I don't mind that for the later rounds.
TheKanataThrilla (24-Apr) : I now take Friday off work. It is a bit annoying, but I do find it fun at night as I can crack a few beers and enjoy. Sucks if they trade out of the first round though.
wpr (24-Apr) : I liked the Sat Sun version.
beast (23-Apr) : HELL YEAH! ... the draft was SOOOO MUCH BETTER in the ol Saturday/Sunday format... only people that I've heard disagree are those that don't really follow the draft and just random get updates on thei
beast (23-Apr) : Key word there is "proven"... not if they're true, but if you can prove it. Jerry Jones said the same thing for Greg Hardy, it wasn't "proven".
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : Flat out honesty from 49ers GM
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : John Lynch: “if these charges are proven true, if Reuben did hit this young lady, he won’t be part of our organization moving forward.”
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2018 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 9 @ 7:20 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Sep 16 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Sep 23 @ 12:00 PM
Redskins
Sunday, Sep 30 @ 12:00 PM
BILLS
Sunday, Oct 7 @ 12:00 PM
Lions
Monday, Oct 15 @ 7:15 PM
49ERS
Sunday, Oct 28 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Nov 4 @ 7:20 PM
Patriots
Sunday, Nov 11 @ 12:00 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Nov 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Sunday, Nov 25 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Dec 2 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Dec 9 @ 12:00 PM
FALCONS
Sunday, Dec 16 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Dec 23 @ 12:00 PM
Jets
Sunday, Dec 30 @ 12:00 PM
LIONS
Think About It
Think About It
Recent Topics
38m / Random Babble / wpr

47m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

24-Apr / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

24-Apr / Random Babble / Cheesey

24-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / warhawk

20-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

Headlines