Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PackerFan  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:24:02 AM(UTC)
Notes From Tuesday's Practice
August 26, 2008, 12:20 pm Link To This Post
Did you notice?
The Packers took the field Tuesday morning for their final training camp practice of the summer open to the public.

LB Brandon Chillar was back on the field after missing the last two days with a lower back injury and returned to the No. 1 WLB spot.

DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila did not practice after being on the field on Sunday and Monday. Head Coach Mike McCarthy said Gbaja-Biamilas knee flared up following Mondays practice.

WR Donald Driver displayed his kicking leg after dropping a pass from QB Matt Flynn in the end zone during red-zone work. As the ball hit the ground, Driver booted the ball with his left foot about 30 yards in the air, earning a penalty flag.

Offensive play of the day
Rookie TE Jermichael Finley caught everything thrown to him Tuesday morning, including a nice reception in the front of the end zone in red-zone work when he grabbed a Brian Brohm pass away from CB Will Blackmon for the score.

Defensive play of the day
Blackmon bounced back to pick off a Brohm pass during 7-on-7 drills when he jumped a pass intended for rookie WR Jordy Nelson for the interception.

Injury/participation update
In addition to Gbaja-Biamila, DE Michael Montgomery (groin) and CB Al Harris (unspecified) were new to the absentee list on Tuesday.

The status of Gbaja-Biamila and Montgomery for Thursday nights game is not known at this point.

Remaining out were C Scott Wells (trunk), G Josh Sitton (knee), LB A.J. Hawk (chest), S Atari Bigby (ankle), CB Charles Woodson (knee), S Charlie Peprah (hamstring), DT Ryan Pickett (hamstring) and WR James Jones (knee).

Do you that driver is just getting upset at himself for the mistakes he's been making this pre-season?

I for one was so happy that he scored the first TD in last Fridays game because he needed that. Not to make the team, but to prove to himself that he can still make the big plays. After having the drops that he has had when the team needed him I think he is starting to doubt his abilities so anytime he can have a game like he did in Denver it will help a lot.

Don't get me wrong I still think he is our number one receiver he has just had a rough camp. I think working with the new quarterback is going to take some time to get used to. I also think, and I know many here will disagree with me, that A-rod throws the ball a little harder than Driver is used to catching. Many receivers have said that they think he out throws Brett when hardness of throw is concerned.
PackOne  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:54:20 AM(UTC)
I read this earlier. I think Driver is frustrated with himself. I like that. Donald will be okay, and be better for it.
bozz_2006  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:05:20 PM(UTC)
get the dropsies out of your system before the reg season.
walleye  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:16:50 PM(UTC)
Driver will come around, he will be himself during the season!!!
zombieslayer  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:21:43 PM(UTC)
Great news!

We now have a backup punter.
PackerFan  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:27:02 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Great news!

We now have a backup punter.

Lol that made me laugh Zombie. But actually I don't think that would be a half bad idea.
agopackgo4  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:16:58 PM(UTC)

That is himself. DD always drops passes
JNelson87  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:33:47 PM(UTC)
He's jus gotta get used to catching the ball from Rodgers. He's so used to the bullets from Favre its probably messing up his rhythim just a little bit. I'm sure he'll come around though and have a pretty decent game against Tennessee.. then come out on fire for Monday night. If they give him little 5 yard passes and let him do the rest, im sure he can get used to Rodgers then they can throw downfield once Rodgers gets more better at doin that.
walleye  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:39:46 PM(UTC)

Really he always drops passes? I"ve seen a few dropped passes i have not seen him always dropping the passes! I guess that's what i saw or wanted to see.
Greg C.  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:21:34 PM(UTC)

Earlier in his career he occasionally got a case of the dropsies, but his drop percentage has been very low the past two seasons. So I think this is just one of those things, and he will be alright. The receivers have been catching a lot of passes from Rodgers in practice these past few years, so this should not be too much of an adjustment for them.
Pack93z  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:49:38 PM(UTC)
Now DD is in a pretty secure spot currently within the Packers.. but make no mistake about it, he sees the talent coming up on this roster.. DD will be fine, but don't think for a minute that these minor gaffes this preseason have went unnoticed elsewhere at Lombardi Ave.. football mortality is just a part of the game.. but one can't help but wonder what the future holds.
agopackgo4  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:43:41 PM(UTC)

Really he always drops passes? I"ve seen a few dropped passes i have not seen him always dropping the passes! I guess that's what i saw or wanted to see.

I used a bad choice of words, by saying that he Always drops passes. He drops his fair share though. Dont get me wrong...He can still be effective. Even T.O. drops a lot of passes.
zombieslayer  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:13:25 PM(UTC)
Now DD is in a pretty secure spot currently within the Packers.. but make no mistake about it, he sees the talent coming up on this roster.. DD will be fine, but don't think for a minute that these minor gaffes this preseason have went unnoticed elsewhere at Lombardi Ave.. football mortality is just a part of the game.. but one can't help but wonder what the future holds.

DD's fine. Once we start getting serious, DD will bump up his game.

Keep in mind, DD was the only one who was on in the last game we played last year. When the pressure gets tough, DD gets tougher. Preseason is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned with DD. Look for him to light up the game in MN. He always has good games vs them.
walleye  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 10:06:37 PM(UTC)

I used a bad choice of words, by saying that he Always drops passes. He drops his fair share though. Dont get me wrong...He can still be effective. Even T.O. drops a lot of passes.

Yes i agree!
huskies  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:37:18 PM(UTC)

Thats y he made the pro bowl the last 2 years isnt it.
agopackgo4  
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2008 2:59:05 AM(UTC)

Thats y he made the pro bowl the last 2 years isnt it.

You dont have to agree with me. Its not a matter of opinion. but you can't argue with the facts. Driver drops his fair share of passes. More than a lot of guys. And as far as him making the pro bowl, look at my other post. I said he can still be effective.
Greg C.  
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2008 7:45:18 AM(UTC)
You dont have to agree with me. Its not a matter of opinion. but you can't argue with the facts. Driver drops his fair share of passes. More than a lot of guys. And as far as him making the pro bowl, look at my other post. I said he can still be effective.

We can't argue with the facts because right now we don't have any. To say that Driver "drops his fair share of passes" is a guess, not a fact. I just did a google search to try and get some stats, but I couldn't find any. I do remember that there was a story about this recently either in the GB Press-Gazette or the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, and they said that Driver's percentage of drops was something like 2% last season and 1% the season before, which they implied were both low numbers. But I wish I could find some solid numbers. I think it was in '05 that Driver had a lot of drops. Last year Greg Jennings was the one who had trouble catching the ball at times.
4PackGirl  
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:52:53 AM(UTC)
we're really arguing about our number one receiver dropping passes now? that's...silly! ;) regular season's coming y'all - relax. :D
Cheesey  
#19 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2008 9:04:00 AM(UTC)
we're really arguing about our number one receiver dropping passes now? that's...silly! ;) regular season's coming y'all - relax. :D

I agree Illy....it's alot of worry over nothing. It's the preseason, where you work out the kinks. NO ONE is perfect and catches ALL the passes thrown to them. Byt the same token, Driver will catch some that make you go "WOW!!! How did he catch THAT!?!?"
zombieslayer  
#20 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2008 2:40:22 PM(UTC)

We can't argue with the facts because right now we don't have any. To say that Driver "drops his fair share of passes" is a guess, not a fact. I just did a google search to try and get some stats, but I couldn't find any. I do remember that there was a story about this recently either in the GB Press-Gazette or the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, and they said that Driver's percentage of drops was something like 2% last season and 1% the season before, which they implied were both low numbers. But I wish I could find some solid numbers. I think it was in '05 that Driver had a lot of drops. Last year Greg Jennings was the one who had trouble catching the ball at times.

God I wish I could find stats better. I seem to recall Driver having actually a quite low percentage of drops compared to other starting WRs in the NFL.
Rss Feed