Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 12:38:05 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,868
Applause Received: 2,043

I think the Vikings should trade Jared Allen and Adrian Peterson and stock up for the future. By the time they have a QB who can lead them, Peterson will have his wheels ran off and Allen won't be effective anymore.

Surely that would upset Vikings fans, but I think it would be best for the Vikings franchise. They made their run with Brett Favre, came up short. It's time to retool and draft for the future.

And with this post I probably just made Formo despise me a little more.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline dfosterf  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:00:36 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

Rank: All Pro

United States
Joined: 8/19/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 174
Applause Received: 392

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I think the Vikings should trade Jared Allen and Adrian Peterson and stock up for the future. By the time they have a QB who can lead them, Peterson will have his wheels ran off and Allen won't be effective anymore.
Surely that would upset Vikings fans, but I think it would be best for the Vikings franchise. They made their run with Brett Favre, came up short. It's time to retool and draft for the future.
And with this post I probably just made Formo despise me a little more.

That's probably right. That is apparently a fan-base driven franchise. Zygi Wilf is a foreigner that owns a crap-load of real estate in New Jersey. He's probably watching soccer games when the Vikes are playing, and upon reflection, he is wise to do so...
"Super Bowl or bust"
Minnesota got "bust". Sometimes words and cliche's actually mean something.
AD and JA are going to die on their vine, like old purple grapes...
And they just might have pissed off the Packer franchise (not us the fans, mind you- the franchise) in the process to disable the brakes on the karma train... which happens to be chock full of steam...
Revenge is a dish best served cold. (Remember that one, Formo ? -- PPO-- me? )
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served, sir !
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.



Offline Formo  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:45:42 PM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
That's probably right. That is apparently a fan-base driven franchise. Zygi Wilf is a foreigner that owns a crap-load of real estate in New Jersey. He's probably watching soccer games when the Vikes are playing, and upon reflection, he is wise to do so...
"Super Bowl or bust"
Minnesota got "bust". Sometimes words and cliche's actually mean something.
AD and JA are going to die on their vine, like old purple grapes...
And they just might have pissed off the Packer franchise (not us the fans, mind you- the franchise) in the process to disable the brakes on the karma train... which happens to be chock full of steam...
Revenge is a dish best served cold. (Remember that one, Formo ? -- PPO-- me? )
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served, sir !


Meh, I can't blame you guys for thinking that.. Y'all don't have any real emotion invested into the franchise. But then again, selling off Allen and AD COULD benefit the organization in the long run, there are no guarantees in the NFL. That said, I'm of the mindset of, you don't EVER, let your best players go. Ever. AD and Allen are two of the best Viking players right now. I'm all for keeping them.

As far as revenge being served cold.. I heard the saying before, Dave, but I'm afraid I might be missing the reference you are talking about.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:37:03 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,868
Applause Received: 2,043

Much like the Detroit Lions did to Barry Sanders, the Vikings are wasting years away from Jared Allen and Adrian Peterson. Yes, they are being paid and paid well.

You are right, I have no emotional ties and that's how any General Manager should approach such decisions. You draft solid OL and DL players, get yourself an excellent QB coach to tutor Christian Ponder or Joe Webb and build from there. The Vikings are actually in a good position to be a force, IF they traded those two players away and IF they drafted wisely.

Vikings won't be anything for at least two or three years and by that time, Adrian Peterson won't be nearly as effective and Jared Allen's speed, which is his biggest asset will be diminished to pass rush specialist. Why not aim for the stars instead of settling for .500?
UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:44:30 PM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
The Vikings are actually in a good position to be a force, IF they traded those two players away and IF they drafted wisely.


That's my point. There is no guarantees. This isn't Madden, doing something like that has far greater risk vs. reward. Yes, exactly what you stated is true. But the key word is 'IF'. If that move was such a smart unemotional decision, you'd see far more GMs doing this. Fact of the matter is, you don't see this happening, and that's because the risk is too high.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:14:04 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,868
Applause Received: 2,043

Originally Posted by: Formo Go to Quoted Post
That's my point. There is no guarantees. This isn't Madden, doing something like that has far greater risk vs. reward. Yes, exactly what you stated is true. But the key word is 'IF'. If that move was such a smart unemotional decision, you'd see far more GMs doing this. Fact of the matter is, you don't see this happening, and that's because the risk is too high.


Herschel Walker, Steve Walsh, those guys ring a bell at all? HELLO COWBOYS! It has happened and if the fans weren't so fickle and demanding of WIN NOW, it would happen more. You're correct, the risk does not outweigh the reward when you have a staff full of incompetent college scout evaluators like the Vikings possess.

Where did I say there was a guarantee? Where did I say this was Madden? Yeah, keep implying things because you have no legit argument at all. Go grab your purple, err sorry, ROYAL purple hanky and sob every Sunday night.


This kind of move doesn't happen anymore because teams are not allowed to rebuild, they have to try and retool instead. The Vikings simply have too many old tools and missing tools to be fixed by a plug here and there.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:51:33 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,868
Applause Received: 2,043

LMAO, just got home from work. Guess what I hear on the radio? Denver Broncos are shopping Brandon Lloyd and D.J. Williams, two of their best players.

This will help add some umph to Formo saying this method of trading your best players on a failing team is not 'smart'. The Denver Broncos traded Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, two of their best players. So, it still does happen, but when you have Josh McDaniels making the draft selections, it's not gonna turn out too well, lol.
UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:44:40 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

Rank: All Pro

United States
Joined: 8/19/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 174
Applause Received: 392

Originally Posted by: Formo Go to Quoted Post
That's my point. There is no guarantees. This isn't Madden, doing something like that has far greater risk vs. reward. Yes, exactly what you stated is true. But the key word is 'IF'. If that move was such a smart unemotional decision, you'd see far more GMs doing this. Fact of the matter is, you don't see this happening, and that's because the risk is too high.

In a totally (un) related matter-
http://dvice.com/archive...1/10/we-now-know-why.php

At least from this observational platform. Flapper
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.



Offline zombieslayer  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:44:31 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Just because the Broncos are doing it doesn't make it smart.

I'd love to see AP retire a Viking, just like I liked seeing Wally retire a Bear. Some things just should be done, out of general principle.

The Niners were my 2nd team in the 80s. Then they got rid of Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, and Ronnie Lott (3 of their best players) when all 3 had gas in their tanks. All 3 of them had All Pro years, not just Pro Bowl years, but All Pro years after the Niners got rid of them. Very stupid.

Oh, and the Niner dynasty ended when all 3 left. 4 SBs. Then cut your 3 best players. Very smart. Yes, they had a SB in '94 but that was a fluke year (Steve Young playing his heart out and Neon Deion, Pack93z's favorite player ever, shutting down one side of the field). That was the year the Niners slipped by the Cows.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:19:55 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,868
Applause Received: 2,043

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
Just because the Broncos are doing it doesn't make it smart.


THANKS FOR READING!!! wrote:
This will help add some umph to Formo saying this method of trading your best players on a failing team is not 'smart'. The Denver Broncos traded Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, two of their best players.

UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:43:16 PM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
LMAO, just got home from work. Guess what I hear on the radio? Denver Broncos are shopping Brandon Lloyd and D.J. Williams, two of their best players.


One Brandon Lloyd and one D.J. Williams does NOT equal one Adrian "All Day" Peterson and one Jared "DakotaT loves me" Allen.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
This will help add some umph to Formo saying this method of trading your best players on a failing team is not 'smart'. The Denver Broncos traded Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, two of their best players. So, it still does happen, but when you have Josh McDaniels making the draft selections, it's not gonna turn out too well, lol.


Exactly my point. It's a crapshoot. That's absolutely not worth it.

Zero2Cool wrote:
Herschel Walker, Steve Walsh, those guys ring a bell at all? HELLO COWBOYS! It has happened and if the fans weren't so fickle and demanding of WIN NOW, it would happen more.


Yeah, I guarantee that another Herschel Walker trade does not happen again.

Zero2Cool wrote:
You're correct, the risk does not outweigh the reward when you have a staff full of incompetent college scout evaluators like the Vikings possess.


Yup, so incompetent that the Vikings never drafted a Rookie of the Year, much less two of them.. Face. Palm.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:27:48 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,868
Applause Received: 2,043

Any three Broncos do not equal half of Adrian Peterson. Thanks for missing the point, big surprise, genius.

Originally Posted by: Formo Go to Quoted Post
Yup, so incompetent that the Vikings never drafted a Rookie of the Year, much less two of them.. Face. Palm.


Face. Palm. You got me! Holy wow, you got me!! Face. Palm. Randy Moss and Adrian Peterson Face. Palm. ... who else do you got? Surely a few OL right? Face. Palm. The majority of the Vikings talent comes from OTHER TEAMS. Prove me wrong. Face. Palm.

Fact is, you are right, acquiring draft picks would be foolish because the Vikings do not know how to draft, nor do they know how to groom their draft picks into professional caliber players.Face. Palm. That is why year after year they pillage free agency and trades. Face. Palm.

Vikings are a poor mans New York Yankees. Face. Palm.
UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 11:32:31 PM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Any three Broncos do not equal half of Adrian Peterson. Thanks for missing the point, big surprise, genius.



Face. Palm. You got me! Holy wow, you got me!! Face. Palm. Randy Moss and Adrian Peterson Face. Palm. ... who else do you got? Surely a few OL right? Face. Palm. The majority of the Vikings talent comes from OTHER TEAMS. Prove me wrong. Face. Palm.

Fact is, you are right, acquiring draft picks would be foolish because the Vikings do not know how to draft, nor do they know how to groom their draft picks into professional caliber players.Face. Palm. That is why year after year they pillage free agency and trades. Face. Palm.

Vikings are a poor mans New York Yankees. Face. Palm.


Percy Harvin wasn't a RotY? You might wanna check on that.

As far their other drafted talent: Chad Greenway, EJ and Erin Henderson, Kevin Williams, Loadholt, Ponder (will prove to be a decent pick), Sidney Rice (got the best out of him), Ray Edwards (got a draft pick out of him leaving), Jim Kliensasser, Kyle Rudolph, Brian Robison, Cedric Griffon are a few talented guys off the top of my head that have contributed for the Vikings in one way or another the past 2-3 seasons. And every one of those guys are starters.

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your rant.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 6:12:56 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,868
Applause Received: 2,043

Now the Colts are being rumored to attempt to move a couple of their best players, Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis. I think it's more of a product of the trade deadline approaching.

Formo, you proved my point with your scarce list, thank ya sir.

If you are drafting the rookie of the year, that means it wasn't that tough of a decision to make that draft selection. But I don't mean to minimize the achievement, since that's the only thing you have going for your pathetic team.
UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#15 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 11:48:50 AM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Now the Colts are being rumored to attempt to move a couple of their best players, Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis. I think it's more of a product of the trade deadline approaching.

Formo, you proved my point with your scarce list, thank ya sir.

If you are drafting the rookie of the year, that means it wasn't that tough of a decision to make that draft selection. But I don't mean to minimize the achievement, since that's the only thing you have going for your pathetic team.


My scarce list?! Seriously? The Vikings have 9 starters that have not been drafted by them, 3 of which weren't even drafted at all. The Packers have 6 starters that were not drafted by them, 3 of which weren't drafted.

Then looking at the rest of the team.. The Vikings have 28 non-starters that were not drafted by them, the Packers have 19 non-starters that were not drafted by them (keep in mind I'm not counting any players that were picked up as rookie free agents).

My point is, the Vikings don't get the majority of their players via trades/FA like you Puker fans like to think. You think they get their players by pillaging other teams' rosters because they seemingly only trade for the big namers which puts them in the spotlight.

I looked at 5 other teams' rosters and they are pretty interesting. Lets have a looksie:

Stillers:
5 starters not drafted by the Steelers
21 non-starters not drafted by the Steelers

Patriots:
9 starters not drafted by the Pats
32 non-starters not drafted by the Pats

Cowboys:
7 starters not drafted by the Cows
25 non-starters not drafted by the Cows

Redskins:
A whopping 15 starters not drafted by the Skins
29 non-starters not drafted by the Skins

Just because the Packers won a Super Bowl with a majority of their roster all drafted within their system doesn't mean that is the only way to build a successful NFL team. The Stiller and Pats have solid franchises and they hardly built their teams the way Ted has done with the Packers.

I agree with you in that it doesn't make sense to draft players if you can't scout college players. My point was the Vikings are far from the worst team in the NFL when it comes to drafting. The number of starters currently on the squad says as such.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Recent Topics
11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / DakotaT

20m / Green Bay Packers Talk / uffda udfa

50m / Random Babble / Cheesey

55m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere

2h / Random Babble / dfosterf

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

4h / Welcome to our Community! / dfosterf

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / luigis

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.