Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pack93z  
#21 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2008 4:42:50 PM(UTC)
From a gent that had to run through that process, interesting insight.

I wonder if certain Packer fans would take pleasure in cutting say a Ahmad Carroll? :lol:

http://sportsillustrated...er/08/26/cuts/index.html

Quote:
What it feels like to be released
Ross Tucker
Posted: Wednesday August 27, 2008 10:21AM; Updated: Wednesday August 27, 2008 2:27PM

There are very few phone calls during our existence that are truly life-altering. For no fewer than 1,000 players on the cut line, one of those calls could be coming on Saturday, when NFL teams have to cut their rosters to 53 players. Take it from a guy who's been there, it is utterly amazing how disappointing a two-minute conversation can be.

Once you get the call and realize your fate is sealed, the rest of the process is just a formality. There is typically a check-out procedure, during which you hand in your equipment and playbook and sign-off on your health status with the trainers. The only thing left after that is the conversation.

There is a certain indignity to sitting in a room with a dozen other guys, waiting to speak with the head coach. It feels as if you are on death row, just biding your time before meeting the executioner.
Zero2Cool  
#22 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2008 5:14:36 PM(UTC)
When I got cut, it sucked. I knew it was going to happen, but that didn't make it feel any better.
Packers_Finland  
#23 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2008 5:20:25 PM(UTC)
I hope Ahmad Carroll meets the executioner. Other than that, this was a good read.
Cheesey  
#24 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2008 5:44:36 PM(UTC)
I hated it when i got cut too.

But a little Neosporin and a band-aid and i was ALLLL better! :thumbright:
PackOne  
#25 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2008 6:12:03 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
When I got cut, it sucked. I knew it was going to happen, but that didn't make it feel any better.

You got cut from an NFL team?
Pack93z  
#26 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2008 6:13:39 PM(UTC)

You got cut from an NFL team?

It was an intense competition for Waterboy.. :lol:
Cheesey  
#27 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2008 7:19:42 PM(UTC)
Heck......i was ALWAYS the last kid picked.....no matter WHAT the sport.
So i have really don't know what it's like.....cause i hardly ever got to play.
4PackGirl  
#28 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2008 10:22:11 AM(UTC)
Heck......i was ALWAYS the last kid picked.....no matter WHAT the sport.
So i have really don't know what it's like.....cause i hardly ever got to play.

really? never woulda guessed that, cheesey! i was ALWAYS the first girl picked...no matter what sport. ;)

i got cut from the girls basketball team but with good reason - i had a nagging injury from years before that made it hard for me to breathe when running alot - kinda run a lil bit in b ball!!! lol.
IronMan  
#29 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2008 11:40:48 AM(UTC)

So they cut the cheese?
Zero2Cool  
#30 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2008 11:54:18 AM(UTC)

So they cut the cheese?

THANK YOU! I didn't want to have to be the one to say it lol
IronMan  
#31 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2008 11:56:02 AM(UTC)

So they cut the cheese?

THANK YOU! I didn't want to have to be the one to say it lol

No problem. I'll take one for the team.
Cheesey  
#32 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2008 2:16:13 PM(UTC)

So they cut the cheese?

And they call ME "Cheesey???"
I think i have spawned some "Cheesey wannabee's". :thumbright: LOLOLOL!!!
TengoJuego  
#33 Posted : Sunday, August 31, 2008 12:06:20 AM(UTC)
I've never been cut in my life from a sport. I cant imagine the feeling of failure. As weird as that sounds.
Cheesey  
#34 Posted : Sunday, August 31, 2008 12:10:32 AM(UTC)
Technically i never got cut either.........cause i never tried out for a team. I knew i wasn't good enough to even try.
gotarace  
#35 Posted : Sunday, August 31, 2008 11:22:35 AM(UTC)
Technically i never got cut either.........cause i never tried out for a team. I knew i wasn't good enough to even try.

That why they invented bowling and tried to call it a sport Cheesey. :icon_smile:
Cheesey  
#36 Posted : Sunday, August 31, 2008 11:23:58 PM(UTC)

That why they invented bowling and tried to call it a sport Cheesey. :icon_smile:

That may be true!
I was on the WTTC state championship team in the early 1990's, and i bowled a 300 game in 1999. I have been on several championship teams back when i bowled alot. I had a 197 average back then.
Hey.....some think thats easy. But i'd like to know how many here have ever bowled a perfect game! It's not easy.....believe me!!! :thumbright:
Pack93z  
#37 Posted : Monday, September 8, 2008 12:34:24 PM(UTC)
Another candid look from a former player now blogger..

http://www.profootballta...ad-brown-on-getting-cut/

Quote:
CHAD BROWN ON GETTING CUT
Posted by Mike Florio on September 8, 2008, 11:11 a.m. EDT

[Editors note: NFL veteran Chad Brown, a three-time Pro Bowler who played 15 seasons for the Steelers, Seahawks, and Patriors, offers up his own experiences on what its like to be released by an NFL team.]

At the Patriots team facility there is one entrance for players. Just inside, theres a small group of chairs and side tables. Almost every day during training camp, a scouting assistant sits in one of those chairs.

That scouting assistants job is to wait there and grab whatever player V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli or coach Bill Belichick wants to talk to.

Most of the time the meeting that takes place is about that players release. Almost every team in the league has a similar setup. For 13 years, I walked past that guy almost without a second thought. Sometimes, I wondered who was getting the bad news that day. But, most of the time, I just headed into the locker room and started to get ready for my day.

As I went forward in football from Pop Warner to high school to college then into the NFL, I sometimes thought about the guys who didnt make the next step in football with me. Football is so different than other sports in the respect that, your last play is really your last play. The last time you strap on the pads is the last time you strap on those pads for the rest of your life.

Any ex-high school basketball player can hit the local YMCA and, even at 50 years old, he can get a game. I play in a rec softball league, and most teams have one or two ex-minor league or college players who love to hear the crack of the bat (or run over Bette Midler at home plate). Football is different because there arent rec leagues or pick up games at the park. Once youre done, you are done. FOREVER! I often wondered about my high school friends who loved the game just as I did. Did they know after that last game that that was it for them? Did they have any idea that they would never play again? If they had realized it, would they have done something different? Played harder? Lifted more weights? Taken in a little more of the sights, the lights, the smells, the glory and privilege of playing this game?

One day, as I walked in the door that day, I could see the scout looking at me. Then I see him getting up out of his chair to talk to me! Oh sh*t! Im still trying to process my thoughts when he says, Chad, Scott and Bill need to see you.

Huh? I say.

Scott and Bill need to see you upstairs in Scotts office.

Wow, I thought, he was waiting for me. For 13 years I walked past this guy, and now its my turn.

Uh, OK, I mumble and head upstairs. (Well, actually, I took the elevator. At the Patriots facility, only Mr. Kraft uses the elevator. I thought, if Im getting cut, damnit, Im not taking the stairs. Thats right, Mr. Kraft, I took your elevator!)

Sit down, Chad, Scott says. Im still thinking this cant be real, can it? From All Pro teams and Pro Bowls and team MVPs to this?

We need to release you, Bill said in a very calm voice. I really dont remember much of what was said after that. You sit and listen, then you walk out and wonder what just happened, and what do I do next? Ive seen guys after being released head down to clean out their lockers and walk out with all their stuff in, get this, a garbage bag. I never understood how that felt before. Well, now I know. You feel like the stuff in that green bag. Very unwanted. Very disposable.

As a top-level player for most of my career, I never understood how the other side lived. After being cut, I felt their pain. You wonder if you will get the chance to play again. Was that preseason game my last one? Was that missed tackle my last play? Will I strap the pads on again? Before the cut my love of the game was selfish. It was based on how well I played, not on how well my team played; Ive walked out of the locker room after a 35-7 win pissed because I didnt get a sack or I didnt have 10 tackles.

Getting cut will snap you out of that real quick. After being cut youre just happy to have a job.

Getting cut also reminds you of just how special the game is. What an awesome privilege it is to play the great game of football. To have the chance to make 65,000 fans jump out of their seats, to hear the roar of the crowd after a big play, or to see fans wearing your jersey. Somehow getting cut makes all that even more special. Its too bad that you cant have the perspective when you are a young player, so you could really savor each moment of the great game of football.

I think only after getting cut and having your football life flash in front of your eyes do you really understand how lucky you were to play this great game of football, the amazing American pastime, at its highest level.
gopackgo  
#38 Posted : Monday, September 8, 2008 1:01:05 PM(UTC)
Nice find 93, and great read.

Loved the elevator bit!
Rss Feed