Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline zombieslayer  
#16 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2008 5:08:26 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

R.P.
I am not going to bash you for your post, what is truly amazing to me is you of all people on this forum would put the blame of a loss on one person.

Since I have been a member on this forum(and the other) you have always been one of the few who always seemed to "get it" a man of reason.

You didn't quite say it right when you said"everything went right", because The Packers did not make it to The Superbowl.

The championship game came down to which team was going to get the break they needed to win the game, that break went to the Giants.

Destiny is a team who finishes 2nd in their division, qualifies as the last wildcard team, and proceeds to win 3 road play-off games to get to the Superbowl, then winning the Superbowl by beating an 18-0 team.
That is destiny.

Brett Favre is gone, how or why he left doesn't matter anymore, but please don't try and downplay what Brett meant to this team last year and the proceeding 15 years before that.

You are right that repeating a 13-3 season should not be expected, if The Packers had the same team as last year,looking at the schedule, I would have made them a 10-6 or 11-5 team.

I have stated all along that whether it was BF or Aaron Rogers playing qb, that the Packers would be in fine shape to defend their North division title.

The problem I have is that Ted Thompson really played the whole BF thing very badly, putting Aaron under more pressure than he already was under.

You know as well as I do that if Aaron Rodgers does not get off to a good start there will be a good percentage of Packer fans who will turn on him, and not give him a chance.

Bottom line it is not how you start a season, it is how you finish, and the NYG's proved last year, play your best football when it comes to crunch time and magical things can happen.

:thumbright: Here's to a great 2008 Packer season and may they be the team who is playing their best at the end!!!!!

Buckeye - Brilliant! Everything you said here I agree.

We did not LOSE to the Giants. The Giants BEAT us fair and square. I have nothing but respect for the '07 Giants. They were the underdogs. ALMOST EVERYONE thought they'd lose the Cows. Then ALMOST EVERYONE thought they'd lose to the Packers. Then ALMOST EVERYONE thought they'd lose to the Pats.

A true sportsman in the face of defeat does not complain, does not get bitter, nor make excuses. He takes his hat off and shakes his opponent's hand, then congratulates him for a game well played. The Giants played a better game than we did, even though I think we had the more complete team. So congratulations to last year's Giants. I hope we get them this year.

+1 to Buckeye.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Greg C.  
#17 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2008 5:45:52 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

Last year was last year, and it's impossible to tell what it would have been like wiithout Favre, let alone being able to tell what any particular game would've been like without him. One thing's for sure: It was a darn good year WITH Favre.

But I share RP's enthusiasm for Aaron Rodgers. I think he is going to be very good. I became more and more convinced of that during last year's preseason, the Dallas game, and then this year's preseason. And I think it will be a good thing to have his youthful energy in the playoffs.
blank
Offline porky88  
#18 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2008 7:51:32 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 198
Applause Received: 421

I wouldn't call for any firings if the team doesn't make it all the way to the NFC Title game. Something tells me some fans will because well that's they way they are but for the most part I'm just going to take it one game a time. That's what I did last year. I think this team can be very good and win the NFC North but we'll see.
Offline spardo  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2008 12:44:52 PM(UTC)
spardo

While I do not think slippage is inevitable, I would say it would be improbable to duplicate the record from last year.

As stated earlier, a lack of significant injuries, fortunate bounces/calls(especially the first several weeks of the season) and a weaker schedule will likely not happen 2 years in a row. Throw in a 1st year starter at the QB position and while at the end of the year this may be a better team than last year - that will likely result in a W-L record less stellar than 2007-08.
blank
Offline NodakPaul  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2008 1:11:50 PM(UTC)
NodakPaul

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
While I do not think slippage is inevitable, I would say it would be improbable to duplicate the record from last year.

As stated earlier, a lack of significant injuries, fortunate bounces/calls(especially the first several weeks of the season) and a weaker schedule will likely not happen 2 years in a row. Throw in a 1st year starter at the QB position and while at the end of the year this may be a better team than last year - that will likely result in a W-L record less stellar than 2007-08.

Well written spardo.

13-3 is an incredible record. Even if the Packers were entering 2008 with their roster exactly the same as last year, I think Green Bay would have a hard time duplicating it. That doesn't mean that they will be a bad team by any means...

I think the Pack played well and overachieved last year. They had a running game emerge from nowhere, and did a decent job of avoiding the injury bug. This year, I honestly them to finish with in the 10-6 area +- 1 game. That doesn't mean that I don't think that they are a good team. But I think that they will have some growing issues in the beginning of the season as Rodgers settles in, and I also think that they will face some stronger competition this year.
"There's the snap, Rodgers with a quick drop - in trouble! AND SACKED BY ALLEN! The ball is lose, the ball is lose, and recovered by Kevin Williams! And that's the ball game! Childress and the Vikings FINALLY beat the Packers!"
--
Offline PackerFan  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2008 10:43:42 PM(UTC)
PackerFan

I keep thinking about Tom Brady who won the Superbowl his first year as a starter. They got close when he was back up the year before but fell short and the next year they were in the superbowl. That sounds just like what happened with us but the end result has yet to be seen.

Just because Chico is unproven though an entire season doesn't mean that we have to take a step backwards. There are 52 other men on that team and though I am not sure the exact number, I know a majority of them where on the team last year. Favre wasn't the only tallented member of the team last year so we still have the vast majority of our tallent around our somewhat raw and unproven quarterback. Just like the Pats did back when Brady started. And look what has happened to them: 3 or 4(I can't remember) super bowl wins and an 18-0 season before loosing in a very hard fought(in the 4th quarter) battle.
blank
Rss Feed