Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
12 Pages«<678910>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline porky88  
#106 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:45:37 PM(UTC)
porky88

Rank: Pro Bowl

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Joined: 4/26/2007(UTC)

Applause Given: 198
Applause Received: 421

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
The Wells signing remind anyone of Jenkins' signing last year?

Last year everyone echoed the Packer party line that they couldn't afford to afford to overpay for Jenkins. And Jenkins ended up signing with Philly with a deal that was nowhere near "breaking the bank."

Now this year, the Packers again want to avoid overpaying Wells. And he signs for a deal which isn't particularly rich by 2012 standards for interior linemen.

Sometimes I think Ted tries to make too extra good a deal, and misses opportunities as a result.

Ted Thompson's philosophy has always been to let go of a player one year too soon than one year too late. I think he's doing the same here. He’s done it with Marco Rivera, Mike Wahle, Corey Williams, and Brett Favre.

We’ll see what happens here. The problem isn’t that Green Bay let Wells walk. It’s that there's no other alternative on the roster. Letting Jenkins go was a calculated risk. They overvalued Mike Neal. They know they have a major hole here. There are few decent options out there. Guys that have been hit or miss for much of their careers, but I don’t think they hold EDS in the same regard they held Mike Neal.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 3/19/2012(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#107 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:47:19 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Hall of Famer

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,786
Applause Received: 676

Well they do have Lang on the roster. As for Neal, injuries happen. We saw that in '10 even moreso.

Sure, Neal had an injury history. But so did Jenkins, and he was 31.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#108 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 11:10:20 AM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 6/12/2010(UTC)

Applause Given: 292
Applause Received: 266

Originally Posted by: porky88 Go to Quoted Post
Ted Thompson's philosophy has always been to let go of a player one year too soon than one year too late. I think he's doing the same here. He’s done it with Marco Rivera, Mike Wahle, Corey Williams, and Brett Favre.

We’ll see what happens here. The problem isn’t that Green Bay let Wells walk. It’s that there's no other alternative on the roster. Letting Jenkins go was a calculated risk. They overvalued Mike Neal. They know they have a major hole here. There are few decent options out there. Guys that have been hit or miss for much of their careers, but I don’t think they hold EDS in the same regard they held Mike Neal.


Wahle was a cap casualty due to Sherman's mismanagement. Thompson said he wasn't happy that he had to let Wahle go. Who actually did play well for several more years. It doesn't fit the pattern.

Brett left. He wasn't let go. He doesn't count either.

Kampman has had major knee issues since he left. He could be considered as fitting that pattern.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline porky88  
#109 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 5:27:47 PM(UTC)
porky88

Rank: Pro Bowl

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Joined: 4/26/2007(UTC)

Applause Given: 198
Applause Received: 421

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister Go to Quoted Post
Wahle was a cap casualty due to Sherman's mismanagement. Thompson said he wasn't happy that he had to let Wahle go. Who actually did play well for several more years. It doesn't fit the pattern.

Brett left. He wasn't let go. He doesn't count either.

Kampman has had major knee issues since he left. He could be considered as fitting that pattern.

That’s a good point on Kampman. I don't want to rehash the whole Brett Favre debacle, but if the Packers wanted Favre, he would've played for Green Bay.

Frankly, many Packer fans overstated Wahle’s play in Carolina. He was adequate for the most part, with the exception of his first season, where he was very good. However, nowhere near the caliber player he was for the Packers, in my assessment.

Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#110 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 7:01:10 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 6/12/2010(UTC)

Applause Given: 292
Applause Received: 266

Originally Posted by: porky88 Go to Quoted Post
That’s a good point on Kampman. I don't want to rehash the whole Brett Favre debacle, but if the Packers wanted Favre, he would've played for Green Bay.

Frankly, many Packer fans overstated Wahle’s play in Carolina. He was adequate for the most part, with the exception of his first season, where he was very good. However, nowhere near the caliber player he was for the Packers, in my assessment.



I don't want to rehash the whole thing but as far as coming back, the un-retirement was as fake as the retirement. He didn't change his mind, it was all part of a plan. Probably Chilly's plan. I don't think Favre is smart enough to come up with it.

After the roster was set, Favre timed it to drop 12 mil on the cap and put them over the roster limit. Normally that would force a free release. Ted went to the NFL and got an exemption and had cap room for Favre.Ted said OK, come on in. That is when Favre backed off and said, it won't work and he would accept a trade to anybody. Because he knew they would never trade him to MN or give him a free release if he was under contract. Which ran through 2011.

He never wanted to retire, he never wanted to come back to Green Bay. He wanted out. He was never going to play for Green Bay. No matter what. Between the '06 and '07 seasons, he wanted out and demanded a trade too Minnesota. The retirement and un-retirement were part of that plan. Even the entire '07 season was part of that plan.

I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
nerdmann on 3/18/2012(UTC), wpr on 3/19/2012(UTC)
Offline gbguy20  
#111 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 7:22:46 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/28/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 210
Applause Received: 285

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister Go to Quoted Post
I don't want to rehash the whole thing but as far as coming back, the un-retirement was as fake as the retirement. He didn't change his mind, it was all part of a plan. Probably Chilly's plan. I don't think Favre is smart enough to come up with it.

After the roster was set, Favre timed it to drop 12 mil on the cap and put them over the roster limit. Normally that would force a free release. Ted went to the NFL and got an exemption and had cap room for Favre.Ted said OK, come on in. That is when Favre backed off and said, it won't work and he would accept a trade to anybody. Because he knew they would never trade him to MN or give him a free release if he was under contract. Which ran through 2011.

He never wanted to retire, he never wanted to come back to Green Bay. He wanted out. He was never going to play for Green Bay. No matter what. Between the '06 and '07 seasons, he wanted out and demanded a trade too Minnesota. The retirement and un-retirement were part of that plan. Even the entire '07 season was part of that plan.




this guy
call me Dan
Offline DakotaT  
#112 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 8:43:14 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 686
Applause Received: 1,406

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister Go to Quoted Post
I don't want to rehash the whole thing but as far as coming back, the un-retirement was as fake as the retirement. He didn't change his mind, it was all part of a plan. Probably Chilly's plan. I don't think Favre is smart enough to come up with it.

After the roster was set, Favre timed it to drop 12 mil on the cap and put them over the roster limit. Normally that would force a free release. Ted went to the NFL and got an exemption and had cap room for Favre.Ted said OK, come on in. That is when Favre backed off and said, it won't work and he would accept a trade to anybody. Because he knew they would never trade him to MN or give him a free release if he was under contract. Which ran through 2011.

He never wanted to retire, he never wanted to come back to Green Bay. He wanted out. He was never going to play for Green Bay. No matter what. Between the '06 and '07 seasons, he wanted out and demanded a trade too Minnesota. The retirement and un-retirement were part of that plan. Even the entire '07 season was part of that plan.



It still pisses me off that Goodell didn't rack up the Queens on tampering charges.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 3/19/2012(UTC)
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#113 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 6:36:45 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Location: Germany

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister Go to Quoted Post
He never wanted to retire, he never wanted to come back to Green Bay. He wanted out.

While I don't necessarily disagree with you in any one particular, do you have any theories as to why that might have been? Favre was worshiped as no man in the NFL has ever been worshiped. Why did he want out? Was he as sick of the circus as the rest of the NFL (and even some Packers fans) were?
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#114 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 6:57:08 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,236
Applause Received: 1,556

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
It still pisses me off that Goodell didn't rack up the Queens on tampering charges.


yeah he was a bit gutless on that one.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#115 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 7:10:02 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,990
Applause Received: 2,283

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel Go to Quoted Post
While I don't necessarily disagree with you in any one particular, do you have any theories as to why that might have been? Favre was worshiped as no man in the NFL has ever been worshiped. Why did he want out? Was he as sick of the circus as the rest of the NFL (and even some Packers fans) were?


I don't believe that Brett Favre want out of Green Bay after 2006. Perhaps after the Raiders didn't give the Packers a chance to match or better the Patriots offer for Randy Moss he was pissed off and said it to family/friends?

Brett retired because the Packers pressured him for an answer, because they were confident he would return. All parties involved have stated this as well so I believe it to be true. Even Brett Favre said that was why they pushed the issue.

How long ago did all this happen again? lol I think this stuff has been said already...
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#116 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 7:11:10 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,990
Applause Received: 2,283

Quote:
2. Winner: Packers.

G.M. Ted Thompson rarely makes a big splash in free agency. The biggest exception came in 2006, when at the very public urging of quarterback Brett Favre the team signed cornerback Charles Woodson.

Other than that, the Packers under Thompson take a very conservative approach, building through the draft and using free agency on a limited basis, with low-cost talent addressing specific needs.

It’s not sexy this time of year. But this isn’t the time of year when championships are won. Unlike downtrodden organizations (such as the Packers themselves in 1993, when Reggie White chose Green Bay from a long list of suitors), the Packers don’t need to do anything to fire up the fan base or breathe life into the franchise.

It’s the right approach for this specific team. The Packers have won, once again, by doing nothing.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#117 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 7:24:08 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Location: Germany

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

You and your necros recently. Neener, Neener
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#118 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 7:26:59 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Hall of Famer

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,786
Applause Received: 676

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel Go to Quoted Post
While I don't necessarily disagree with you in any one particular, do you have any theories as to why that might have been? Favre was worshiped as no man in the NFL has ever been worshiped. Why did he want out? Was he as sick of the circus as the rest of the NFL (and even some Packers fans) were?


Ever since Favre's dad died he never had anyone to keep him grounded. With the passing of Big Irv, Favre only had his wife and his agent, and all they did was whisper in his ear how great he was.

Favre's ego was already out of control from the time Ray Rhodes handed control of the team over to him and Mike Sherman did nothing to reel that in. That was Ted Thompson's main task at the time. Favre could no longer dictate to the GM what players to acquire and he could no longer dictate to offensive or team philosophy.

He still could and DID change plays in the huddle. Until Ted started getting rid of the "Favre loyalists," like William Henderson among others. Fact is Favre was and is a spiteful little bitch and he viewed himself as greater and more important than the franchise.

Personally, I further hypothesize that Ted and the Packers' security knew that Favre was being blackmailed due to off the field behavior into purposely throwing those ridiculous interceptions in the playoffs. The problem was that it would be difficult to get rid of Favre, which is of course what we saw transpire. Anyway, this further level of conspiracy theory, while quite apparent to myself needn't be taken into account in order to see the overall point about Favre. The main point about Favre's ego stands, regardless of the added conspiracy theory.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#119 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 7:30:13 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Location: Germany

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

I am always surprised at the bile and venom some of you spew against Favre. I don't like the guy -- he's not the kind of person I get along with, so he would rub me the wrong way on the screen or in real life. But while I find him irritating, some of you truly loathe the man. The vehemence with which you express it impresses me.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#120 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 7:34:06 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,990
Applause Received: 2,283

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel Go to Quoted Post
I am always surprised at the bile and venom some of you spew against Favre. I don't like the guy -- he's not the kind of person I get along with, so he would rub me the wrong way on the screen or in real life. But while I find him irritating, some of you truly loathe the man. The vehemence with which you express it impresses me.


As for the topic, I suppose Brett Favre is a free agent ... lol ... I think some flipped on Favre much like one does to a scorned partner. Favre was my 2nd favorite behind Barry Sanders. After the Greta Van whatever interview, it made it hard for me to pull for him as a "person", but as a player he was always exciting ... which wasn't always a good thing if he was on the team you rooted for.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
12 Pages«<678910>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error


Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / uffda udfa

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / uffda udfa

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

19-Dec / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19-Dec / Green Bay Packers Talk / Wizard3461

19-Dec / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

18-Dec / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackFanWithTwins

18-Dec / Green Bay Packers Talk / musccy

18-Dec / Green Bay Packers Talk / Dulak

18-Dec / Green Bay Packers Talk / luigis


Tweeter