You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline zombieslayer  
#16 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 9:49:05 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
I seem to recall Dan Fouts having a pretty quick release.

He did. Not knocking Fouts, he was a great QB (and is rightfully in the Hall of Fame). But Marino was a better version of Fouts. (And had a stronger arm as Fouts didn't have a strong arm).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline dhazer  
#17 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 11:01:21 AM(UTC)
dhazer

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 170

This is one guy that had a beautiful deep ball and made it look so effortless. Here is a video of a 60 yard pass against the wind and falling sideways.

I use to love watching Randall Cunningham play.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#18 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 11:17:22 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,739
Applause Received: 1,790

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
This is one guy that had a beautiful deep ball and made it look so effortless. Here is a video of a 60 yard pass against the wind and falling sideways.

I use to love watching Randall Cunningham play.

Fantastic play, but that's not a beautiful deep ball, lol. It was thrown up for grabs. I think the most amazing part of the play was Cunningham's escape. That was incredible! Then rolling to his left (which is harder to throw for a right handed QB), he sets up and heaves it to mid field where his guy catches it and runs away!

Awesome play, just awesome.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#19 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 12:12:15 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 64
Applause Received: 201

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
Yes, Warren Moon had a good deep ball too. But there is so much Favre hatred that they conveniently forget how good of a deep ball Favre had. Let's not forget that 2007, when Tom Brady had one of the best QB stat years ever, Favre completed more 40+ yard passes, including some nice game winners.

And yes, Favre had issues and had the tendency to throw it up and pray. If you discount those and count the ones when he actually kept his head, I don't think he's touchable. If you count the ones where he threw it up and prayed, then yes, you have a very strong argument that Favre's deep ball was overrated.

Lynn Dickey had a pretty nice deep ball too, but that's with another asterisk - he was throwing to James Lofton who was one of the best deep ball receivers in our lifetime (Randy Moss is the 00s version of James Lofton and had better numbers but that was after the NFL rule changes that enabled receivers to get away with stuff they couldn't get away with in the 70s and 80s).

I don't see myself as a Favre homer. I'm a huge Favre fan. But not a homer. He had mental issues that kept him from being as good as people like Joe Montana, Steve Young, and Aaron Rodgers. It's a shame too, because with his God given abilities, he should have been the best QB of the Super Bowl era. But he's a mental case and was always shooting himself (and the team) in the foot.

I don't agree with cherry picking the "good" Favre and ignoring the "bad" Favre.

Part of having a great deep ball is consistency on it. No discounts allowed.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
zombieslayer on 5/6/2012(UTC)
Offline dhazer  
#20 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 12:15:28 PM(UTC)
dhazer

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Fantastic play, but that's not a beautiful deep ball, lol. It was thrown up for grabs. I think the most amazing part of the play was Cunningham's escape. That was incredible! Then rolling to his left (which is harder to throw for a right handed QB), he sets up and heaves it to mid field where his guy catches it and runs away!

I know that was just a heave but I posted it just to show arm strength. He did make the long passes look so easy, look when he got to Minny and couldn't run anymore. He loved having Moss :) and they went 15-1 and got beat right away like us last year.
UserPostedImage

Offline zombieslayer  
#21 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 12:20:23 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

That QB for the Raiders a few years back had an amazingly strong arm. Couldn't hit a WR though if his life depended on it.

I'd love to see stats on deep completions by QB. Of course, not including catch and runs. Completion % of passes that traveled 40+ yards. Who's got the highest %?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline gbguy20  
#22 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 2:05:46 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 185
Applause Received: 247

hits the nail on the head. that escape was nuts. rodgers should watch this video
call me Dan
Offline dhazer  
#23 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 2:22:33 PM(UTC)
dhazer

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
hits the nail on the head. that escape was nuts. rodgers should watch this video

Don't forget Randall also has an 80 yard punt to his credit lol

UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#24 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 5:10:19 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

That QB for the Raiders a few years back had an amazingly strong arm. Couldn't hit a WR though if his life depended on it.

I'd love to see stats on deep completions by QB. Of course, not including catch and runs. Completion % of passes that traveled 40+ yards. Who's got the highest %?

That would be an incredibly interesting statistic.

Raiders, Todd Marinovich?

UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#25 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 6:03:40 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

That would be an incredibly interesting statistic.

Raiders, Todd Marinovich?

Geez I had a brain fart. JaMarcus Russell. He could heave the ball pretty far, but couldn't hit an open receiver with it.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#26 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 6:16:01 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Geez I had a brain fart. JaMarcus Russell. He could heave the ball pretty far, but couldn't hit an open receiver with it.

lol figured since you were struggling to remember, it was more than 10 years ago, :P

UserPostedImage
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#27 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2012 6:24:15 AM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 99
Applause Received: 63

I like to see that stat as well. My guess is the guy with the highest number is probably Brady. Playing behind an excellent O-line most of his career would certainly help this stat. Favre didn't have as much of a luxury to sit back which is why our YAC was a big part of our big plays.

For me Warren Moon was always a beauty to watch throw the long ball. Kudos to Porky for bringing him into the conversation.

"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)