Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
16 Pages«<23456>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline zombieslayer  
#46 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:13:28 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Posts: 9,919
Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
Ok am I missing something but I don't see any receptions for Gurley last year but hell hes better than Driver. Hell he is the best wr we have on this team. If you go off his his preseason stats he killed everyone right. Gurley is the best leader in the locker room by far.
I mean if you see Driver on dancing with the stars you will see he is all flabby and old and can barely move. Send him to Detroit to join up with Collins.


I heard Cam Newton said that if he had Gurley on his team, they'd win the Super Bowl for sure.

Randy Moss says that one day he hopes he can be as good a deep threat as Gurley.

Jerry Rice was recently in a fit of depression because for all his hard work, his records will be shattered by Gurley's.

Ted Thompson recently turned down a trade from the Redskins for their first round draft picks for the next ten years for Gurley. Mike McCarthy told Ted Thompson that if Ted Thompson took the trade, Mike McCarthy will quit right there and then.

Wes Welker says that he hopes he can have half as many receptions as Gurley will have in 2012.

So yes, Gurley is superior to Driver, Jennings, and Nelson combined. Once he is on the field, we might as well not even play the game. Aaron Rodgers will just throw the ball high up in the air and Gurley will come down with it, break all the tackles, and high step into the end zone every single down.

I'm surprised you don't know all this Hazer. And you claim to be a Packers fan. Not talking
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 5/1/2012(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#47 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:15:58 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,911
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,303
Applause Received: 577

What are the odds of DD being healthy all season vs that of Gurley being healthy all season?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#48 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:19:18 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Posts: 2,278
Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 247
Applause Received: 365

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
What are the odds of DD being healthy all season vs that of Gurley being healthy all season?


The odds are the same!!! Anyone can be injured at anytime. Doesn't matter whether you are a rookie or 15 year vet, every player that walks on the field knows that play could be their last.

Check with Vegas, if anyone has a line on the question Vegas will.
“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
Offline dhazer  
#49 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:28:01 PM(UTC)
dhazer

Rank: Pro Bowl

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Posts: 3,897
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 191

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
The odds are the same!!! Anyone can be injured at anytime. Doesn't matter whether you are a rookie or 15 year vet, every player that walks on the field knows that play could be their last.

Check with Vegas, if anyone has a line on the question Vegas will.



Ya ask Collins the odds of staying healthy last year, I am sure noone thought he would be out for the year.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline wpr  
#50 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:19:43 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 12,350
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,749
Applause Received: 1,317

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
Let the man go already!!!!!

Tired of these same stupid arguments every year.

Hell we lost Chasten West last year because Driver wouldn't retire!!

That's right Chasten West who showed more potential than Borel or Gurley and went to Jacksonville and was never heard from again!!

I'm really tired of these veteran players holding back all the young guys just "full of potential"

Dammit with Chasten West The Packers probably would have beaten The Giants last year and went on to win The Superbowl.

To tell the truth I am more worried about how The Packers are gonna keep Aaron Rodgers upright and healthy all year than I am whether Donald Driver stays.


13 rec 163 yds 2 td. just in case you wanted to know.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline Porforis  
#51 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:47:52 PM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,738
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
That's right Chasten West who showed more potential than Borel or Gurley and went to Jacksonville and was never heard from again!!

...

Dammit with Chasten West The Packers probably would have beaten The Giants last year and went on to win The Superbowl.


UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
To tell the truth I am more worried about how The Packers are gonna keep Aaron Rodgers upright and healthy all year than I am whether Donald Driver stays.


Absolutely. The fact that our forum has a four-plus page long topic arguing about which decent WR should and should not make the cut tells us that we've got excellent depth at WR. There's a reason we drafted tons of defense.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#52 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 11:33:35 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,911
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,303
Applause Received: 577

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
The odds are the same!!! Anyone can be injured at anytime. Doesn't matter whether you are a rookie or 15 year vet, every player that walks on the field knows that play could be their last.

Check with Vegas, if anyone has a line on the question Vegas will.


Really? Because I predicted Cliffy wouldn't make it through last year. That was pretty easy.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DakotaT  
#53 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 6:13:43 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 7,256
Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,299

The saddest thing in sports is watching the decline of star players, and we chock full of gluttons for punishment in this forum. Last year he was being covered by linebackers, let's hope this year Jared Allen isn't dropping to pick him up.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#54 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 6:18:47 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 25,665
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,843
Applause Received: 1,997

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
The saddest thing in sports is watching the decline of star players, and we chock full of gluttons for punishment in this forum. Last year he was being covered by linebackers, let's hope this year Jared Allen isn't dropping to pick him up.


If Donald Driver is able to beat a linebacker and Tori Gurley and/or the other WR's can't, why would you want the latter on the team in the first damn place? One of the perks of having many good receivers is exactly that ... a match up problem for the defense!

No disagreement that watching star athletes decline is a bummer. But no one is saying to keep Donald Driver simply because he's Donald Driver. Everyone is in agreement (who wants him on the roster) with if he takes a pay cut which he says he would and is one of the best X amount of receivers he deserves the spot then.

It's the NFL. You take the best 53 based on what's best for the team, not letting someone go because they are older than someone else that their position. What is this, the Vikings-decision-making now?

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 5/4/2012(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#55 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 6:42:36 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 7,256
Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,299

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
If Donald Driver is able to beat a linebacker and Tori Gurley and/or the other WR's can't, why would you want the latter on the team in the first damn place? One of the perks of having many good receivers is exactly that ... a match up problem for the defense!

No disagreement that watching star athletes decline is a bummer. But no one is saying to keep Donald Driver simply because he's Donald Driver. Everyone is in agreement (who wants him on the roster) with if he takes a pay cut which he says he would and is one of the best X amount of receivers he deserves the spot then.

It's the NFL. You take the best 53 based on what's best for the team, not letting someone go because they are older than someone else that their position. What is this, the Vikings-decision-making now?


Don't you know by now that I'm always right? He's a waste of cap space at this jucture of his career. If we wouldn't have signed back Jones last here when he came crawling back with his tail between his legs, then I'd be all for keeping Driver until his teeth started falling out. There should always be 1 spot on our receiving corp up for grabs, and keeping Driver doesn't allow for that. Also Driver doesn't play on special teams with the exception of onside kick defense.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#56 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 6:49:02 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 25,665
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,843
Applause Received: 1,997

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Don't you know by now that I'm always right? He's a waste of cap space at this jucture of his career. If we wouldn't have signed back Jones last here when he came crawling back with his tail between his legs, then I'd be all for keeping Driver until his teeth started falling out. There should always be 1 spot on our receiving corp up for grabs, and keeping Driver doesn't allow for that. Also Driver doesn't play on special teams with the exception of onside kick defense.


Donald Driver at his current salary, yes, too expensive for a at best 4th WR. Why not keep six WR and only 4 TE this season? I could see this happening because Andrew Quarless is surely going to be on the PUP list.
  1. Greg Jennings
  2. Jordy Nelson
  3. James Jones
  4. Randall Cobb
  5. Donald Driver
  6. Tori Gurley


Again, this is all speculating that SIX WR are even worth keeping in the first place.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline DakotaT  
#57 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:03:56 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 7,256
Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,299

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Donald Driver at his current salary, yes, too expensive for a at best 4th WR. Why not keep six WR and only 4 TE this season? I could see this happening because Andrew Quarless is surely going to be on the PUP list.
  1. Greg Jennings
  2. Jordy Nelson
  3. James Jones
  4. Randall Cobb
  5. Donald Driver
  6. Tori Gurley


Again, this is all speculating that SIX WR are even worth keeping in the first place.


Because we are going to have to carry 3 quarterbacks. Matt Flynn provided a major luxury for us. I would also rather carry an extra Dlineman.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#58 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:10:11 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 25,665
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,843
Applause Received: 1,997

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Because we are going to have to carry 3 quarterbacks. Matt Flynn provided a major luxury for us. I would also rather carry an extra Dlineman.


The Packers will not carry three QB's to start the season unless Aaron Rodgers suffers some kind of injury that makes them cautious. There's just no reason to keep three QB's.

It's fairly common that O gets 25, D gets 25 and Special Teams gets 3. There's no rule and it could tilt any direction.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline play2win  
#59 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:10:52 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,783
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
I personally like what Gurley can bring to special teams (e.g., blocking kicks, which he has shown he can do in the only time he has had a chance: preseason). I think the 5th and maybe even the 4th wide receiver should have special teams value, which Driver does not. While I acknowledge that Driver still holds some value to this team in the passing game, I'm not convinced it's anything significantly more than someone like Gurley would, especially as a red zone target. Sure, there is no guarantee, but one or more of those young guys could be the next Donald Driver themselves! We won't know without giving them an opportunity, but I think that's a common thought. I also think the common argument of Driver being the only wide receiver showing up against the Giants in the playoff game isn't a good argument. We've all heard that he was being covered by a single linebacker at times. Also, there were a few opportunities that were there that Rodger's simply missed. Perhaps if Rodger's make those couple of throws, we'd be saying Finley or Jennings stepped up in that game, despite a drop or two. I also understand the veteran presence argument, but I'm not convinced that's a big factor either, especially since Jennings, Nelson, Jones, etc., have all been around for several years and have experienced running the table through the playoffs (on the road) and winning a Super Bowl. I think that any leadership abilities that would leave with Driver could easily be accounted for by others, and sometimes, it takes a leader leaving for a new one to emerge.

It goes without saying this is just my opinion and obviously Ted and McCarthy know better than me. But the factors described above plus my skepticism of his ability to stay healthy, even in limited playing time, pushes me towards giving the young guys a shot. I agree with letting him fight for his spot in training camp, but I would hope it's an uphill battle for him. In other words, he needs to show he is SIGNIFICANTLY better and more valuable to this team than any of the younger guys. If so, good. I wouldn't be disappointed. However, I will not be surprised in the slightest to see him on another team this season.


I think your point regarding Gurley's STs abilities is spot on, as well as the point that he needs, and the Packers might be best off giving him, a legit shot. I can't wait to see this kid play for real.

DD is still a very capable WR in the NFL. I think he could easily step in and be a #2 or #3 WR on roughly half of the teams in the league, and be serviceable in that role for a couple more years. He is a GB legend and record holder, with a very long tenure here, something to consider in handling any transition that would affect his career and well being. I think he currently resides as our #4 or #5WR, on a super deep group of receivers. We are loaded.

The Packers didn't pony up to secure Gurley's services this season for nothing.

To me, the prudent move with regards to DD is to let it play out. A lot can happen between now and the start of the regular season, and the roster cut to 53 players. Players can get injured, on our team and on others creating an opening. Deals can be made. Part of the reason I felt Jones was so trade worthy was the depth we have, with DD and Gurley both able to advance readily as regular contributors to our O this season. That kind of trade could still happen, possibly for a pick next year.

Zero2Cool mentioned a few factors that will have to be in play for DD to stay in GB. I think another is potential injury to one of our 1-4WRs. Injury to another team's top WR could also create a void that would necessitate a trade for one of ours. There is value in not rushing into anything just yet, and saving the tough decisions for those roster cuts down to 53.

Trade scenarios are pretty unlikely, but they do happen. Most likely, a team will wait us out for our roster cuts. I don't think anyone would be surprised to see DD cut, as sad as that might be. I would have no problem trading another and keeping him around at a more cap friendly number, but not at the expense of the growth of a potential star, which I think Gurley may prove to be. Just my opinion. It's going to be a difficult call. I would guess, if Ted is forced there, he will hate to make it, but he'll make the call in favor of the younger talent.
Offline PackerTraxx  
#60 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:11:54 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Posts: 1,783
Joined: 8/13/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Actually, the decision on DD should be quite simple. If he is clearly better you keep him. If not, you keep the younger player who has more upside and costs less.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest (3)
16 Pages«<23456>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Recent Topics
16m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25m / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

28m / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

43m / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere

1h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

3h / Announcements / Zero2Cool

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / mi_keys

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / uffda udfa

15h / Announcements / dfosterf

16h / Random Babble / MontanaBob

29-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

29-Jul / Random Babble / porky88

29-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.