Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
10 Pages«<34567>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DakotaT  
#101 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2012 7:21:36 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 1,376

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
James Jones is staying right here, and that is a good thing, imo.
Past experience in viewing young WR's says to me that Randall Cobb has got to "replace Donald Driver" this year.
I love DD as much as the next guy, but we also have additional complications. We are stock-full of quality WR prospects, and we are going to have to make as many holes for them as possible. Hanging onto DD does not do that for them, as prospects. I wouldn't dismiss this factor, as regards DD.

Honestly, I'm good either way. It would be hard to fuck that up amongst the WR personnel we have, regardless of who gets let go.

Quit being an pussy and make a decision. I say cut his ass and save the cap room. Bring Gurley to the active roster and let him knock Jones down to #5. Cobb will move up to number 3.

Please don't kill me with your bare hands Gunny! Wanna Box?
UserPostedImage
Offline dhazer  
#102 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2012 7:32:32 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 50
Applause Received: 204

I say we cut all the veteran leaders and bring in the practice squad players, we will be just like the holgrem era and win one super bowl and alot of playoffs
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline longtimefan  
#103 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2012 11:03:53 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

I heard DD is going to get a one year deal
Offline gbguy20  
#104 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2012 11:19:27 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 285

Originally Posted by: longtimefan Go to Quoted Post
I heard DD is going to get a one year deal

oh ya?
call me Dan
Online buckeyepackfan  
#105 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 4:49:32 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 458

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
I say we cut all the veteran leaders and bring in the practice squad players, we will be just like the holgrem era and win one super bowl and alot of playoffs

Finally dhazer, you have seen the light!!!!

PACKERS DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' VETERAN LEADERSHIP!!

All they need is Rodgers, Cm3, Jennings and Woodson, the rest need to be cut!!

Everyone knows Gurley is going to be a superstar!!!!

Everyone knows that Jennings, Nelson and Jones are going to go through the year injury free.

So why the hell all this damn argueing?

Just get rid of Driver already, the guy has been holding back the team for to many years!!

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Online nerdmann  
#106 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 6:29:09 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 667

Is Clowney available? Maybe we can get him back too.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DakotaT  
#107 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 6:39:26 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
Finally dhazer, you have seen the light!!!!

PACKERS DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' VETERAN LEADERSHIP!!

All they need is Rodgers, Cm3, Jennings and Woodson, the rest need to be cut!!

Everyone knows Gurley is going to be a superstar!!!!

Everyone knows that Jennings, Nelson and Jones are going to go through the year injury free.

So why the hell all this damn argueing?

Just get rid of Driver already, the guy has been holding back the team for to many years!!

The Giants covered him with a linebacker. Let me repeat that, the Giants covered him with a linebacker. He isn't worth his contract anymore, but let's just keep paying him millions and burning up a valuable roster spot for a guy who's a starter in name only and doesn't play special teams. I'm not the one that needs a reality check here.

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#108 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 7:27:17 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Dakota I am so amazed that you seem know so much more than Uncle Teddy. If you had the job we could put an end to all of this speculation and uncertainty that surrounds the team. Wade can be your draft guru and we would be looking at a 20 year run of SB championships.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline vikesrule  
#109 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 7:44:34 AM(UTC)
vikesrule

Applause Given: 60
Applause Received: 193

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Dakota I am so amazed that you seem know so much more than Uncle Teddy. If you had the job we could put an end to all of this speculation and uncertainty that surrounds the team. Wade can be your draft guru and we would be looking at a 20 year run of SB championships.

DakotaT and Wade, huh?

For some odd reason that conjures up this image........Big Grin

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
DakotaT on 5/20/2012(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#110 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 7:49:38 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

I just have the ability to look past my emotions for a player and make an obvious decision. Better to cut a guy a early than a year too late. I would have been comfortable cutting him last year, Clifton too.
UserPostedImage
Online buckeyepackfan  
#111 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 9:51:25 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 458

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
The Giants covered him with a linebacker. Let me repeat that, the Giants covered him with a linebacker. He isn't worth his contract anymore, but let's just keep paying him millions and burning up a valuable roster spot for a guy who's a starter in name only and doesn't play special teams. I'm not the one that needs a reality check here.

Maybe that's the reason Driver led the team in receiving yds and was the only receiver to catch a TD pass. IT'S CALLED GETTING A FUCKING MATCHUP ADVANTAGE!!!!!

DD already said he will take a pay cut to stay with the Packers, even though I am betting there are just as many fans who thinks he's still worth his contract as there is that think he is not.

I'm not gonna argue with you anymore, there is no point in it, you have made up your mind on certtain players and no matter how wrong you could end up being, it will change nothing.

Can't wait for Ted to cut Driver loose, then come back here and read all the gloating and the 'i told you so's", and I especially can't wait for all the crying and complaining when the games REALLY count and there is no one who is stepping up.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline wpr  
#112 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:03:39 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
I just have the ability to look past my emotions for a player and make an obvious decision. Better to cut a guy a early than a year too late. I would have been comfortable cutting him last year, Clifton too.

Yes I know. We all know. You have stated the same thing for more than a year.

By the same token most of us have said the same thing for over a year. Let the guys in charge do their frikin job. They will not keep Donald out of sentimentality. They will keep him if they believe he will help them get back to the SB.

For the most part, you won't hear us complain if they cut him in TC because they feel Gurley and Co is a better option.

If they bring home championship #14 and old, slow, overpriced Double D catches the winning TD while he is covered by a lowly LB you would complain one bit.

There is no sense getting worked up over nothing.
UserPostedImage

Offline DakotaT  
#113 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:22:24 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

By the same token most of us have said the same thing for over a year. Let the guys in charge do their frikin job. They will not keep Donald out of sentimentality. They will keep him if they believe he will help them get back to the SB.

For the most part, you won't hear us complain if they cut him in TC because they feel Gurley and Co is a better option.

If they bring home championship #14 and old, slow, overpriced Double D catches the winning TD while he is covered by a lowly LB you would complain one bit.

Who's worked up? Keeping expensive, aging, declining veterans is how you get yourself into cap hell. I watched Sherman and Wolf do it and piss away what should have been a dynasty. You identify the stars that are the corp of your team and lock them up. Driver once was part of that corp and he isn't anymore. I just think it is a mistake to keep him anymore.

UserPostedImage
Online nerdmann  
#114 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:31:14 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Ever since Ted had to clear out the "Favre loyalists" and subsequently Favre himself, there has been a certain sense that the organization has gone out of it's way to show respect to veterans. Al Harris for example. And Tauscher. Cliffy too to some degree.

Grant and DD were the nominal "starters" last year, even though it was obvious they had been surpassed by younger, better players. So I do think there could be an issue as far as maybe keeping him around longer than they should.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Online Zero2Cool  
#115 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:37:20 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,969
Applause Received: 2,231

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Ever since Ted had to clear out the "Favre loyalists" and subsequently Favre himself, there has been a certain sense that the organization has gone out of it's way to show respect to veterans. Al Harris for example. And Tauscher. Cliffy too to some degree.

Grant and DD were the nominal "starters" last year, even though it was obvious they had been surpassed by younger, better players. So I do think there could be an issue as far as maybe keeping him around longer than they should.

I think that is your perception and your perception only. The team has treated its veterans well from the get go of Ted Thompson taking over.

I know what you're saying about let whom is in charge do their job, although I think as a fan we have the right to say horseshit this, great that, bonehead move here and such.

There are some fans who are sentimental about players and then there are fans who want to show they are "above" that and want to cut everyone who's age so they can pound their chest saying "see how I don't get emotionally attached" when getting emotionally attached is one of the best things about being ... a FAN. Of course, most fans fall in the gray area of if he can take a pay cut and earns a spot, he deserves the spot.

I'm good with him taking a paycut and allowing him the opportunity to earn a spot on the roster. If he proves to be the 6th best receiver and the Packers elect to carry 5, then it's bye to Donald Driver.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#116 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 8:05:51 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I think that is your perception and your perception only. The team has treated its veterans well from the get go of Ted Thompson taking over.

yep

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

I know what you're saying about let whom is in charge do their job, although I think as a fan we have the right to say horseshit this, great that, bonehead move here and such.

There are some fans who are sentimental about players and then there are fans who want to show they are "above" that and want to cut everyone who's age so they can pound their chest saying "see how I don't get emotionally attached" when getting emotionally attached is one of the best things about being ... a FAN. Of course, most fans fall in the gray area of if he can take a pay cut and earns a spot, he deserves the spot.

I'm good with him taking a paycut and allowing him the opportunity to earn a spot on the roster. If he proves to be the 6th best receiver and the Packers elect to carry 5, then it's bye to Donald Driver.

this is true (as is almost everything you say.) Whistle
That said it gets a bit tiring to hear the screaming "cut him now, Now, NOW, NOW!!!!! If Donald isn't cut then all the fans are too sentimental" routine. When if fact no matter what we say or do it won't make any difference in whether DD makes the team or not. And if he does make the team it does not mean either we are the Packers brass is sentimental. All it means is, right or wrong, Ted and Mike think Driver is one of the best players and will give them a better chance of making back to the SB than some other and younger WR.

I suppose it is a bit irksome to insinuate that we are somehow weak if we express an opinion that Donald may bring some value to the team this year.

I by the way expect them to keep 6 WR.
UserPostedImage

Online nerdmann  
#117 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 10:36:32 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

I agree that they treat veterans well and always have. However, I do think now they are also attempting to manage perception among players, to some degree.
Online Zero2Cool  
#118 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2012 5:09:10 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

I'm thinking that's what happens because of the 'extra' spot at TE with Andrew Quarless (my assumption) being on PUP for the first six weeks.

I agree that they treat veterans well and always have. However, I do think now they are also attempting to manage perception among players, to some degree.

Wait...

What??
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Online nerdmann  
#119 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2012 5:41:35 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Do those statements contradict each other?
Offline play2win  
#120 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2012 7:16:36 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

yep

this is true (as is almost everything you say.) Whistle
That said it gets a bit tiring to hear the screaming "cut him now, Now, NOW, NOW!!!!! If Donald isn't cut then all the fans are too sentimental" routine. When if fact no matter what we say or do it won't make any difference in whether DD makes the team or not. And if he does make the team it does not mean either we are the Packers brass is sentimental. All it means is, right or wrong, Ted and Mike think Driver is one of the best players and will give them a better chance of making back to the SB than some other and younger WR.

I suppose it is a bit irksome to insinuate that we are somehow weak if we express an opinion that Donald may bring some value to the team this year.

Driver is what he is, one of the best WRs ever to put on a GB uniform. I do think he can make this team - easily. He still has the talent.

I''m not saying this from a loyalist standpoint, or a sentimental standpoint. I agree with you on this wpr. IMO, the guy can play at a high level for 2 or 3 more years. I think that is the value he brings to this team, at this time, making a younger player a bit more trade ready.

There have been a lot of people hitting me on the trade notion. My take is I would rather we get something for one of our guys in trade, than nothing at all at roster cut downs. Why not work a deal with all that talent, ready to deal? We've got some high value players with cap friendly contracts. Many of our WRs at 3, 4, 5, 6 on depth chart in GB could challenge for 1s or 2s with other teams. We can't keep all of them. DD, should he be willing to stay on with a restructured deal, would increase his value to this team.

I have no problem with them cutting him loose at roster cuts should they decide that is the best route for the team, however, I would consider it a loss. Talent, under contract = value. I see all the arguments for him taking playing time away from some of the younger guys who need their shots, and I agree with that. At this time, Driver gives us good veteran depth at WR. His role would have to change. Trade one of the younger guys to bolster a weaker position or to add a pick to next year's draft. Get -something-!

If we just cut DD loose, he'll wind up with the fish or the hawks, and we'll have nothing in return. Seems we could do something to make this work a bit more in our favor. Why not?
Online Zero2Cool  
#121 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2012 7:16:54 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Do those statements contradict each other?

I'm not sure. One of them says AFTER and then the other says ALWAYS. My head hurts.

UserPostedImage
Offline dhazer  
#122 Posted : Friday, May 25, 2012 9:23:22 AM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 50
Applause Received: 204

GREEN BAY - Sources say the Packers have begun the process to try to keep wide receiver Donald Driver.

According to TODAY'S TMJ4's Lance Allan, sources on both the Packers and Driver's side say they have offered Driver a restructured deal.

The Packers have expressed desire for Driver to take a pay cut, and the 13-year veteran seemed open to that in order to stay with the team.

Driver and his agent were taking at least part of Friday to think about the proposal.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Online nerdmann  
#123 Posted : Friday, May 25, 2012 2:02:14 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
GREEN BAY - Sources say the Packers have begun the process to try to keep wide receiver Donald Driver.

According to TODAY'S TMJ4's Lance Allan, sources on both the Packers and Driver's side say they have offered Driver a restructured deal.

The Packers have expressed desire for Driver to take a pay cut, and the 13-year veteran seemed open to that in order to stay with the team.

Driver and his agent were taking at least part of Friday to think about the proposal.

He still has to make the team.
Offline wpr  
#124 Posted : Friday, May 25, 2012 2:06:21 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

He still has to make the team.

and that is not a given nor a guarantee. except Uncle Teddy is awfully sentimental these days. He does keep players with no usefulness left in them. Whistle
UserPostedImage

Offline DakotaT  
#125 Posted : Friday, May 25, 2012 6:27:13 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

and that is not a given nor a guarantee. except Uncle Teddy is awfully sentimental these days. He does keep players with no usefulness left in them. Whistle

I'll take the bait: Was Clifton worth his millions last year, playing 5 games and getting benched in the playoff game? There are still ass clowns that think Tauscher should still be on the team. I don't care how many of you buddies of mine in here are against me on this: stick a fork in Driver and give his reps to Jones and Cobb.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 5/25/2012(UTC)
Rss Feed