Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gbguy20  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 12:12:40 PM(UTC)
TMZ claims Junior Seau has died of a self inflicted gunshot at his home today.

One of the best.
Wade  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 12:27:03 PM(UTC)
gbguy20 said: Go to Quoted Post
TMZ claims Junior Seau has died of a self inflicted gunshot at his home today.

One of the best.

Holy cow!

Sad, indeed.

Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 1:03:12 PM(UTC)
Eight San Diego Chargers from the 1994 have died before reaching 45. That's incredibly sad.

1. Shawn Lee died last year of a heart attack at 44
  2. Chris Mims died in 2008 of complications from having an enlarged heart at age 38.
  3. Curtis Whitley died in 2008 of a drug overdose at age 39.
  4. Doug Miller died in 1998 after he was struck by lightning, at age 28.
  5. Rodney Culver died in 1996 in the crash of ValuJet Flight 592, at age 26.
  6. David Griggs died in 1995 in a car accident at age 28.
  7. Lew Bush had died of an apparent heart attack, only six days after his 42nd birthday.
  8. Junior Seau has died of a self inflicted gunshot at his home today at age 43.
zombieslayer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 1:15:58 PM(UTC)
Really sad. Always admired his playing.

The thing is, he's only a few years from being a first ballot Hall of Famer. I can't think of a single player recently who's got 10 All Pros besides Seau. I'm wondering why. Wonder if he had severe depression and lost his purpose in life after retiring.
Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 1:22:51 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer said: Go to Quoted Post
Really sad. Always admired his playing.

The thing is, he's only a few years from being a first ballot Hall of Famer. I can't think of a single player recently who's got 10 All Pros besides Seau. I'm wondering why. Wonder if he had severe depression and lost his purpose in life after retiring.

I was going to say Barry Sanders, but I think he had 10 Pro Bowls, not All Pros.
zombieslayer  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 1:46:00 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
I was going to say Barry Sanders, but I think he had 10 Pro Bowls, not All Pros.

Barry and Seau are tied with 10 All Pros. Both were First Team 6 times and Second Team 4 times.

I guess I should have been more specific when I said "recent."
vikesrule  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 4:32:05 PM(UTC)
Truly sad indeed.

Always admired Seau as a player....very sad.

What demons would cause this, who knows?

Pack93z  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 4:59:23 PM(UTC)
Sad ending to a truly talented and passionate player.. fiery emotion but always seems to play within the confines of the rule book.

If the speculation is correct that he had a hole that could not be filled from the game.. I can understand that emotion as I once upon a time had the same hole. Probably still do.. but I cannot understand the decision he made. Again.. if the speculation is correct.

But as the very bright, no matter the error in choosing a hue, Vikesrule notes.. who knows the demons that haunted his mind.

May you find your peace Junior.
TheKanataThrilla  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:03:48 PM(UTC)
I respect the guy for what he did on the field, but can never respect the way he chose to end his life. His poor kids deserved better. May not be a popular post, but my honest opinion.
dhazer  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 6:00:38 PM(UTC)
I saw an interesting thing about this, he had a gunshot wound to the chest. The same way Dave Duerson of the Bears ended his life. The point that was brought up was that they can also check the brain of Seau like they did with Duerson for past head injuries and disease from playing football.

He was a great player and a huge influence in his community and will be miss greatly.
Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 6:21:31 PM(UTC)
dhazer said: Go to Quoted Post
I saw an interesting thing about this, he had a gunshot wound to the chest. The same way Dave Duerson of the Bears ended his life. The point that was brought up was that they can also check the brain of Seau like they did with Duerson for past head injuries and disease from playing football.

He was a great player and a huge influence in his community and will be miss greatly.

I believe Duerson wrote that he didn't shoot himself in the head so his head could be examined. Something to that effect.
Formo  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:06:38 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla said: Go to Quoted Post
I respect the guy for what he did on the field, but can never respect the way he chose to end his life. His poor kids deserved better. May not be a popular post, but my honest opinion.

I agree. I do certainly feel empathy for him as obviously he had demons he dealt with.. But you are right, his family and close friends do NOT deserve this.
Cheesey  
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2012 9:34:01 AM(UTC)
For me it's hard to understand. A guy that seemingly had everything. Money, fame, a family, and so on.
He could do whatever he wanted. If he liked golf, play every day. Fishing, hunting, whatever. He had the means.
It's difficult for me to understand. It's not like he had to worry about how he was gonna pay rent next month.
But who can see into someone else's mind to know what's really going on inside them?
Sad.
zombieslayer  
#14 Posted : Friday, May 4, 2012 10:49:03 AM(UTC)
Dammit. Had a bad source.

Barry Sanders was All Pro 10 times, with 8 First Team and 2 Second Team.

Wanted to fix my mistake.
Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Friday, May 4, 2012 12:38:56 PM(UTC)
Over on ESPNMilwaukee.com Jason Wilde has an interesting article with Dorsey Levens on this subject. Some of the comments Levens made I agree with, like the (in jest) comment about having players wear leather helmets again and that in turn will make them more careful where they put their head. That's something I've said for awhile. Players are armored up and feel invincible.

Junior Seau's (say OW) family is allowing his brain to be examined.
Wade  
#16 Posted : Friday, May 4, 2012 12:41:35 PM(UTC)
Over on ESPNMilwaukee.com Jason Wilde has an interesting article with Dorsey Levens on this subject. Some of the comments Levens made I agree with, like the (in jest) comment about having players wear leather helmets again and that in turn will make them more careful where they put their head. That's something I've said for awhile. Players are armored up and feel invincible.

Junior Seau's (say OW) family is allowing his brain to be examined.

OW?

Zero2Cool  
#17 Posted : Friday, May 4, 2012 12:55:39 PM(UTC)
Wade said: Go to Quoted Post
OW?

When younger playing ball with dad, when he'd tackle me he'd say "Say OW!" if he got me good.

It was in reference to Seau's rookie card I had. He said Seau would be one of the great ones and cited how you could see in this card below that he was ready to give someone a hit.
UserPostedImage
Wade  
#18 Posted : Friday, May 4, 2012 1:04:42 PM(UTC)
When younger playing ball with dad, when he'd tackle me he'd say "Say OW!" if he got me good.

It was in reference to Seau's rookie card I had. He said Seau would be one of the great ones and cited how you could see in this card below that he was ready to give someone a hit.
UserPostedImage

Ah, okay, thanks.

I thought it was some acronym.

Zero2Cool  
#19 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2012 6:00:24 AM(UTC)
The world really lost a special person.

Zach Thomas said:
I have never been around a man with more love and passion for the game of football than Junior Seau, and he lived life the same way. Junior was always fun to be around, always positive and made every person who knew him feel like he was their best friend. You never heard one negative word come out of his mouth. Junior just had this energy that followed him around wherever he went, almost like theme music. It was like he never had a bad day. As a young linebacker, Junior was my hero growing up and once I had the opportunity to meet him I saw that he was everything I hoped he would be and more. Getting the chance to play alongside of Junior Seau, the greatest linebacker to ever play the game, made my dreams come true. I am absolutely devastated to hear this news. Today I lost my hero, my friend, my buddy.

Gary Plummer said:
Junior obviously had been facing demons for at least 18 months. That's no longer speculation. People can take pills, run their car off the road and that's a cry for help. He was crying out for help. Yet he was too proud to ask for it. What I'd like to see done ... There is no exit strategy from the NFL. It's 'You're done.' You don't even get an apple and a road map. What needs to happen is mandatory counseling. In 15 years as a middle linebacker, I never would have thought of seeing a counselor. I saw one in my divorce, and I just called my counselor today. It can't be optional, because macho players are taught to be invincible and they're not going to do it. Make it mandatory.

Luisa Seau (mother) said:
I pray to God please, 'Take me! Take me! Leave my son!' But it's too late, too late.

Rss Feed